Replacing antenna pole brackets

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I managed to break one of the plastic antenna pole brackets on the side of the caravan a couple of trips ago. I imagine they get brittle after being exposed to UV and other elements over time so I plan to replace them both as I can see the other one going the same way. These look like what are currently on there. They look like they simply stick on, either self adhesive or Soudall job.

Any ideas how I get the old brackets and adhesive off with minimum damage. I've got some plastic lever things for car trim with edges on them, I was thinking maybe use one of these with some WD40? Anyone done something like this before ? I want to avoid being careless and causing collateral damage! Thanks.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Chris, try using some steel wire, 18 gauge, ( thin) as a sawing action slowly to break the adhesive between the plastic and the caravan, WD40 will help but so will soapy wayer then clean off with Metholated spirits.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Of course it’s difficult to advise without knowing how the current brackets are fitted, but assuming it might be double sided sticky pads can you initially use a cheese wire to slice through and then remove the residue when the bracket has gone? You will be aware that the aluminium is very thin and the paint surface just microns so using tools to prise them apart probably not advisable.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ah ok, thanks for the quick responses! I’ll ask if my dad some cheese or piano wire, he has all sorts of random stuff kicking about, failing that I’ll buy some.
If they are double sided adhesive pads like number plate ones I find dental floss works followed by sticky stuff remover. Then a good clean up with methalayted spirit before bonding the new pads in place.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Isn't it best to heat it gently first to loosen the glue before using the cheese wire? I don't know myself as never tried it.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
In the end I was able to tease it off with some WD40 and a scraper tool with a plastic blade. It wasn't hard to get off. Got all the sticky glue off with WD40, just need to clean up with some meths before I stick the new ones on...

Another question, should I use the sticky pads the new brackets come with or would Soudall fixall be better?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In the end I was able to tease it off with some WD40 and a scraper tool with a plastic blade. It wasn't hard to get off. Got all the sticky glue off with WD40, just need to clean up with some meths before I stick the new ones on...

Another question, should I use the sticky pads the new brackets come with or would Soudall fixall be better?
Use the designed pads that’s what they are intended for and should you need to remove them in the future it’s not difficult and no risk of damage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts