Replacing Steel Wheels with Alloys.

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
My 2006 Sprite Quattro has steel wheels fitted, if I was to replace these with alloys, can I go to a car breakers and get the approprite size/correct PCD alloy wheels from a car,

is there any difference or is a wheel a wheel?

On the same topic I have read somewhere that a twin axle can be fitted with car tyres, rather than van tyres, as the load is spread over four rather than two, is this correct?

Thanks, Jim.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Del

You realy need to get the correct

alloy wheels as they have a greater load capacity than car wheels.

Ones from the car breakers might look ok but you will not know of any faults within the rim itself....

Can't say i have read that about car tyres

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My Lunar Quasar twin is running car tyres (165/70R13 79H) - i spent hours this afternoon trying to find a dealer to supply a new tyre, but none would believe i had the size right!

Lucky a knowledgable dealer confirmed that my van does indeed run on bog standard 4 ply car tyres!! So that's a few quid saved.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I would definitely get the wheels from a reputable dealer rather than a scrap yard, as has been said you have no idea how the wheel has been treated and with it being on your van you are unlikely to feel anything wrong until its really too late.

Also please do not forget that you will need new wheel bolts too, steel wheel bolts are not suitable for use with alloy wheels in most cases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts