Republic of Ireland

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have booked to visit southern Ireland in September 2015 however trying to find sites is a bit difficult as they are rather thin on the ground so any suggestions on sites would be welcomed. Thanks.
We are taking 3 dogs with us and they will have pet passports. However I am finding it difficult to get information regarding Sky satellite signal in ROI. In addition, BB and mobile coverage and costs is a bit difficult. Mobile BB is with Three and mobiles are with Tesco.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Surfer, we "did" southern Ireland about ten years ago. It is a marvellous country, with the most friendly people.
Whilst caravan sites may not a plentiful as in the rest of UK, there are plenty to choose from. If I could find herself's diary for that trip, I could name the ones we used, but she's ferreted it away somewhere!
However, we bought a site book specific to Ireland, but again I can't remember what it was called.
If its any help, we stayed in Rosslare, Cork, Killarney, Tipperary, and Clonmel.( I do remember that one was called "Power's the Pot" and was said to be the highest inhabited farmhouse in Ireland.) We had planned lots more, but found that we needed to extend every proposed stay, as it is such a laid back country that there was never any hurry to move on!
Can't help with TV or BB, but I know mobile phone use is very expensive, as are fish and chips in Killarney!
I may be wrong, but I don't remember the dogs needing passports.
Whatever, go, and enjoy. I feel quite envious.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
emmerson said:
Surfer, we "did" southern Ireland about ten years ago. It is a marvellous country, with the most friendly people.
Whilst caravan sites may not a plentiful as in the rest of UK, there are plenty to choose from. If I could find herself's diary for that trip, I could name the ones we used, but she's ferreted it away somewhere!
However, we bought a site book specific to Ireland, but again I can't remember what it was called.
If its any help, we stayed in Rosslare, Cork, Killarney, Tipperary, and Clonmel.( I do remember that one was called "Power's the Pot" and was said to be the highest inhabited farmhouse in Ireland.) We had planned lots more, but found that we needed to extend every proposed stay, as it is such a laid back country that there was never any hurry to move on!
Can't help with TV or BB, but I know mobile phone use is very expensive, as are fish and chips in Killarney!
I may be wrong, but I don't remember the dogs needing passports.
Whatever, go, and enjoy. I feel quite envious.

Thanks. Our first stop is St Margaret's Park in Rosslare, then onto Clonmel where we are staying in the back garden of a farm which is situated behind the Bulmers factory. Then we are hoping to go to County Clare, Limerick, Kerry, Cork and back to Rosslare.
We are hoping that 14 days will be enough, but we paid extra for the flexible option with Irish Ferries which allows us to alter our booking. Cost for car, caravan and 2 adults plus 3 dogs return is £218 so bargain price!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
St Margaret's park sounds familiar.Is it down on the coast near some ruins?
Be aware that we too booked for only three weeks, but stayed for six! It really is that kind of country.
Also note that when travelling the Ring of Kerry, go the same direction as the coaches. If you meet one head on, they won't go back.
That ferry fare does seem good. I think ours was around that much way back then.
I've just recalled another snippet, if you're interested in old cars and local history.
In Clonmel, there is/was a cafe with a car lift in the floor. This was used to lift cars up into the museum on the upper floor. Well worth a look.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
TV - if you have Sky you can use that exactly as you would at home.
Phone - if your phone is unlocked you can get a payg SIM with €20 credit.
Broadband - most of the better sites will have wifi. Mobile broadband is a bit expensive. Both Three and Tesco have networks here so you may be able to use those directly.

Sites - in Clare there is a great site in Doolin beside the pier. You can take a ferry over to the Aran Islands or walk/drive up to the Cliffs of Moher. You could easily spend a week here and do something different every day. Skip Limerick (I'm from there and it's a nice place but no decent sites to stay in) and take a ferry directly across to Kerry. There is a great site in Tralee that you can use as a base to tour around Dingle. From there you could try one of the sites by the coast in the South West of the county like Mannix Point, Wave Crest or Barley Cove. Barley Cove is a lovely spot near Mizen Head where there is a lighthouse on the south western tip of the country with a visitor centre. As you come towards Cork there is a nice site in Skibereen and just outside Cork city there is a site in Blarney . Along the south coast towards Waterford there are nice sites in Dungarvan and Tramore.

If you are interested in Surfing there are various spots all along the west and south coasts.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Thanks both and food for thought. Reference the coaches we will be travelling from the north southwards and west to east. Sadly the only surfing I now do is on the net. Buying a PAYG seems the way forward and saves any hassles. from the sound of it we need to stay another week at least. :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS