Resealing front window rubber

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Sorry I know this has been asked before!
After having my local AWS recently remove, refit and reseal the front roof strap and check the screws and seal the top of the hinge bar it was severely tested in last night’s storm and sadly I still have a water leak from o/s lower corner. It Examining the window rubber the offside vertical seems not to be sealed in place. I am contemplating resealing the whole surround.
I would like to do the job myself and looking for your input! Would you recommend a roll of mastic strip or a tube of mastic? If the tube what should I buy - soudall or sikaflex and what specific type? Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
I've used Sikaflex 552 around all my old 1993 van seems to work well. No doubt others will have other solutions. Good luck with it though

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Well the hot sun today is helping and when I get home I have an electric dehumidifier to run. However looking under the edge of the rubber from the inside would suggest that the ingress is near the top offside corner. From the exterior without disturbing it the window surround appears to be absolutely adhered. So I think that the culprit is likely still to be the top hinge bar fixing. For the time being I have fitted white duct tape across the top and either await rain or get the hose out at home to see if that confirms it.
Anyone done this job themselves with the single heavy front window - and would you suggest tubed mastic or ribbon to complete a once-for-all cure?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s not that simple ! The window rubbers are sold in lengths to your specification, over order of course.They come with sealant already loaded. Once the frames have been full cleaned and all traces of old sealant removed you press the new rubbers into place securing with a few staples . The sealant self seals as it reacts to fitting.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
If a bitumastic sealer has been used previously try turps on a piece of denim to remove it..don't use anything metallic as a scraper as it would damage the .surface..ive used caraflex ID99 and Hodges bitumastic sealer in cartridges in the past for my awning rails and seals when I removed them...The polyplastic windows can be heavier that they appear... I'd get a lift when you remove them..good luck Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts