Resipole Farm, Loch Sunart, Acharacle. Scotland

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dustydog,

The site was in the middle of nowhere. The scenery was lovely, the site fronts on to the Loch and we thought there was a beach. Great we thought, that sounds like heaven for our two dogs! Unfotunately it was a beach of pebbles and nowhere to walk the dogs at all. For us there was nothing else to do but sit by the caravan and the weather was rubbish. We much prefer Sands Caravan Site at Gairlock - lovely views and scenery and plenty of walks for the dogs, miles of sandy beach, few village shops and places to eat out if you want. But for you it may well be heaven! All the best Jim

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim

Many thanks for that explanation. We knew it is isolated but I must say we are expecting somewhere to run the two dogs. It is a farm!

We go in august so I'll let you all know what I think.

Cheers

Dustydog

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dustydog

We stayed at Resipole in our first caravan a few years back so our thoughts are a bit dated now.

It is very isolated and as we had poor weather we were rather at a loose end with our children getting rather bored, this in spite of the fact that they were generally very good at amusing themselves. It is VERY REMOTE and the most direct route is via the Corran ferry. The roads are then single track ones and we met several forestry lorries. We do like secluded sites but this was not one of my favourites.

We were unfortunate enough to discover we had a puncture when we were in the queue for the last ferry of the day which we had rushed to catch. By the time the wheel had been changed we had to overnight in the ferry car park and then leave the caravan there while driving back to Fort William for a replacement tyre.

I would not be inclined to visit again. Others, however, disagree and I would point you to the reviews on UKC, all favourable I think!

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=1668
As always it depends what you like

Regards

Tim

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Tim

It all helps.

We are actually doing an island hop of the Western Isles , Hebrides. Thus we go from Isle of Mull to Kilchoan at Ardnamurchan so Resipole seemd a good place for a weeks break before we move onto Skye via Mallaig.

I appreciate the remoteness. That in itself isn't a problem for us. I guess we have to go to Stontian for our newspapers?

Thanks again.

Cheers

Dustydog

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dusty

We stayed here about 4 years ago with two other families in tents. The site was very clean, immaculately kept and quite gorgeous. Our weather was mixed but the six kids ages 6 to 10 had a ball crossing the stream and building a log house out of mother nature's materials. One evening it became quite windy as the site is situated across the very quiet road from the loch. At this time, being in tents, we obviously pitched on grass but there were lots of hard standing pitches. There is a jetty about 10m from the entrance to the site so great for water sports. There is a walk up ben Resipole behind the site so great for dogs. There is about 6 miles of single track road coming from Strontian to the site. The road from the site to Kilchoan, where the ferry run to Mull, is possibly the most torchuous piece of single track in Scotland and I have travelled over a fair bit of it over the years. We wouldn't fancy towing a caravan, the average speed is about 15mph as the road bends constantly and it is impossible to see what is coming ahead. It probably takes about an hour from the site to Kilchoan. Last year we stayed at Bunree and drove to Ardnimurchin for the day which took 2 hrs to travel 50 miles. It was absolutely gorgeous. We stopped off at Resipol on the way back and it was as clean and lovely as we remembered. Apart from towing I would thoroughly recommend this site.

Nov 5, 2007
Visit site
Great site,loved the scenery and the wilderness - you obviosly don't go there if you prefer shops,cafes etc.

The white sands at Sanna Bay at the end of the peninsula are a must see.

One great big disadvantage are the midges which are the worst I've ever come across - going for water was purgatory(in August).

Suggest a 2 site holiday - Bunree (shops etc at Fort William) and Resipole.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts