Reversing camera

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi each,
Does anyone here have any opinions of the Garmin BC30/40 range of Wi-Fi reversing cameras? Specifically regarding the range/ connectivity from the back of a caravan to the car. Are they a viable proposition or more frustrating tech?
Regards
F

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Ferrodo i have the Garmin camper with a BC20 reversing camera on the back of the caravan i needed to buy the extension cable .
This is what i did .Install the the sender and power supply in side the back of the car and feed cable to/by the towing electrics and protected the end with a covering when not in use Then fix the camera to the van number plate and run the extension all the way to the front 21 pin power cable making sure their is enough cable to reach the connection to the car
i did try and install the sender unit and power in the front of the van but the picture quality was poor.The Garmin BC30/40 are of better picture quality then the Bc20

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Great thanks for that. I was hoping to getaway without plumbing in a load of bits and pieces in either the car or van. Hence the possibility of using the Wi-Fi system. Just wary of a Wi-Fi signal reaching the dash in the car via 7.5 meters of van and 3 meters of car with all the bulkheads and doors to cope with. £189 is a bit of a waste if it won’t work 🤔
Regards
F

Hi Ferrodo i have the Garmin camper with a BC20 reversing camera on the back of the caravan i needed to buy the extension cable .
This is what i did .Install the the sender and power supply in side the back of the car and feed cable to/by the towing electrics and protected the end with a covering when not in use Then fix the camera to the van number plate and run the extension all the way to the front 21 pin power cable making sure their is enough cable to reach the connection to the car
i did try and install the sender unit and power in the front of the van but the picture quality was poor.The Garmin BC30/40 are of better picture quality then the Bc20

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
F
The wi fi sender sits in the boot ?(1.5mt ) and it will work just need power but as you said is it worth it only to the user
has your car got built in sat nav ? their is quite a few kits you can get fitter for less i have a ford kuga and to fit a reversing camera was £300 and that was just the car but i fitted one using the Garmin 7" screen which is wired camera (parts from EB £25) and use the Garmin wi-fi camera for the van easy to do if you know how to but time consuming and have a great sat,nat by the way thanks to parksy ;)

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The wireless system is easier than cable connected. Receiver is positioned in car - usually in bot or load space and needs 12v supply and cable access to front as monitor clips over driving mirror. I've tucked mine into top of gaskets sealing windows and door frames and only an inc or so shows.
Camera at rear connects to transmitter which also needs a 12v supply. You may need to run this directly from battery via a suitable fuse and switch as 12v services are automatically switched off when connected to car (except fridge and charger supply). Mine is used for constant rear view when towing and not just reversing. Really good especially in Europe or at night (camera has infra red transmitter)
Mine cam from Reversing Cameras or Paring cameras in Hastings and I have had excellent service

May 10, 2020
Visit site
All great input thanks. I have a Garmin 770 that has the reversing camera app so no problem there. My caravan tug is a Mitsubishi Shogun therefore it would mean taking out one of the load bay side panels to install the receiver to make a decent job. I would power the system up from the reversing lamps , into reverse gear power on. I would run the extension cable from the camera to the tow hitch on the caravan underneath the van. The bit I not sure that I like is an additional plug and socket on the tow hitch. Unavoidable I know but weather and corrosion is a concern. I do think that the receiver sited in the car is the way to go, don’t believe Wi-Fi from front to back stands a chance. An eight meter plus extension lead??? Is there such a beast.
Regards
F

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
i have from the car the plug coming through the same rubber seal as the tow bar but with a plastic cap with tape covering it when not in as for the hitch side it runs along the wiring electrics to the car fully taped to it and again capped and taped when not in use the caps i use are ..................wait for it ............................off my kids felt tip pens ;)(y)
PS don't use the reversing wiring find a switch live then you can view the camera any time you want just tap the screen

Last edited:
May 10, 2020
Visit site
i have from the car the plug coming through the same rubber seal as the tow bar but with a plastic cap with tape covering it when not in as for the hitch side it runs along the wiring electrics to the car fully taped to it and again capped and taped when not in use the caps i use are ..................wait for it ............................off my kids felt tip pens ;)(y)
PS don't use the reversing wiring find a switch live then you can view the camera any time you want just tap the screen
Marvellous thanks. Okay I think I shall order the BC30 set up with extension lead and take it from there. Appreciate your help.
my best regards
F

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts