reversing with stabaliser

May 2, 2005
Visit site
we have a towsure leaf stabliser fitted, in the instructions it states you must not reverse with it on. The dilema is that both me and my dear wife are disabled so it is completely impractical, and extreamley time consuming to deploy side lift and get out of van to disconnect the leaf every time i need to reverse, can anyone enlighten me as to why it is supposed to be disconnected before reversing, as i have reversed with it on, on many ocassions with no problems. Unless it is doing unseen damage, for i would like to put on a al-ko stab but after feeling the weight at the local caravan shop and the price £250 for the tripple kit, am woundering weather to stay with ordinary stab, any help would be heplful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like you, Nigel, I have reversed many, many times with a Bulldog stabiliser in place and I lived to tell the tale. So did my car, my caravan and the stabiliser itself. I believe the only problem is that it makes reversing slighter more difficult to manage because when it is fitted, the caravan needs more effort to persuade it to alter it's line. If I was entering a Caravan Reversing Competition I would disconnect it every time, but just to get it onto a pitch, well, what's the problem?

If there is indeed a technical reason why reversing in this way is a no-no, I am sure someone more clever than I will soon put us right.

By the way, even with the Alko fitted, you are stil advised to release it before reversing. For the same reason as above I think.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The Alko (same applies to the Winterhoff, though too) does not, in principle, have to be released when reversing. To reduce premature wear on the pads, they should, however, be released for all major manoeuvres, regardless whether you're going forwards or reversing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
the blade can jump out of the plastic runner on the a frame when reversing in some tight situations and cause damage in some cases to either the caravan or car

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Same as Dusty on this one, used one for almost 20 years now with no trouble.I do agree with Klarky as it does sometimes come out of the runner but this has only happened when reversing onto a tight pitch so its not really any trouble.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts