Reversing

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I would say get the wife/partner to stand to the side(somewhere you can hear or see them) to watch for obstacles/people/animals and take your time.
It isn't a job to be hurried.
If you mess up.......pull forward and start again.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My tip would be to approach the space that you want to reverse the caravan into with it on your right.
It's easier to reverse a caravan if you can look back over your right shoulder instead of trying to guess what's on your blind side.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Go on a course. I did (for professional not caravanning reasons) and I have no problem reversing.

Good fun when you know how to do it ......................... properly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Try and ignore those who will shortly be your new neighbours, who see anyone reversing as a good spectator sport. Seriously slow with gentle movements and don’t be afraid to reposition as required.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Don’t shout at the wife/ spouse/ partner because “you are standing where I can’t see you”.

How do I know what you can see unless you tell me?

In fact don’t shout at the non reversing partner at all. It doesn’t help.
mel

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Don’t shout at the wife/ spouse/ partner because “you are standing where I can’t see you”.

How do I know what you can see unless you tell me?

In fact don’t shout at the non reversing partner at all. It doesn’t help.
mel

Thats absolutely right, as within 30 minutes you can really have a ding dong erecting the awning. Another episode of spectator sport too.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Tip i was given & i found it realy helpfull.
Slow movements with the caravan, and if you want to see more of the right hand side of the van, its thumbs up right, ie turning opposite direction. More left of caravan thumbs up left, easier to remember than turning opposite, & it works.
Saying that i still use the MMover.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve seen more domestics wrt putting up an awning than pitching up or levelling. Some even refer to them as “ the divorce maker”
We have never had that issue as from day one followed the instructions as we work together and let OH do most of the work. However from next year we have give up the Isabella Magnum for a small 260 air awning and not bother with erecting a wikndbreak to keep in the dogs as they are getting elderly now and not wandering away. However we do have arguments about other things as nothing is perfect. LOL!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This will help
View: https://youtu.be/LwOEgbd_BQA

Wherever possible I prefer reversing onto the pitch on the drivers side. N/S is harder imo.
Hold the steering wheel with one hand on the lower edge. Move your hand left and the caravan will go left , similarly with the right. Best practise somewhere open and quiet.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am not the best, but full able to reverse onto a pitch. But once there. Might need to adjust to get the axle level and finally position it for peg and wheel lock. Easier and stress free to use a mover from the off.

Once, at the Old Oakes campsite. My mover failed when engaging them on the wheels. (Motorised engagement). I then had to release them manually which is time consuming. A know it all chap. Who was only trying to help. Jumped to the conclusion that I was unable to reverse it. “Don’t you worry, I’ll reverse it for you”. Where his opening words. I politely refused.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Practice is the only answer and opposite lock is how you do it, but can cause problems on tight pitches. If you struggle then a mover is the best bet.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Reversing onto pitches isn't the only time that caravanners need to reverse and a mover is no help - meeting another vehicle in a narrow lane, cars may be bullied into reversing so the caravanners doesn't need to but HGV artics won't - rarely it's necessary to reverse onto a ferry, trying to back into a black hole with dockers shouting instructions in uninteligible dialect does raise the blood pressure somewhat.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
In 7 years we've never had to reverse for an HGV- we went wrong in Norfolk and carried on till we found a farmers 'pad' which we used to do a u turn but wouldn't consider reversing on a public road tbh-and went wrong down a single track road-that turned out to be a dead end-no one would've reversed out of there -we unhitched turned the van, drove the car down the grass verge and got out that way! You may come across the situation when you need to reverse eg small entrances etc-happy to do that but extended reversing-no thanks!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
In 7 years we've never had to reverse for an HGV- we went wrong in Norfolk and carried on till we found a farmers 'pad' which we used to do a u turn but wouldn't consider reversing on a public road tbh-and went wrong down a single track road-that turned out to be a dead end-no one would've reversed out of there -we unhitched turned the van, drove the car down the grass verge and got out that way! You may come across the situation when you need to reverse eg small entrances etc-happy to do that but extended reversing-no thanks!
I've had to reverse once - coming out of a CL in Ingleton, it was half a mile of single track with no passing places to get to the main road - met an artic coming the other way who was adamant I was nearer the entrance than he was the road, so I had to reverse about 200 yards, no as bad as you might expect once you're in the groove.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts