Rioja chicken

Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
I've done this recipe loads of times in the caravan. I found it originally in a magazine and I've also found it online here at Waitrose. You can also use a small chicken with a small bottle of Rioja you can get from the supermarkets.
I've done it in the slow cooker as well but you have to reduce the sauce afterwards or thicken it up with a little cornflour. Either way, it's gorgeous :cheer:

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 140 minutes
Serves: 6
Ingredients
• 3 tbsp Olive oil
• 1 Large onion, chopped
• 8 Garlic cloves, finely sliced
• 60g Chorizo sausage, skinned and diced
• 1 Chicken stock cube
• 250ml Rioja wine
• 400g tin Chopped tomatoes
• 1 tsp Dark muscovado sugar
• 1 Bay leaf
• 2 Whole dried red chillies
• 1 Large chicken (about 2kg)

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/gas 4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until slightly browned and softened. Add the chorizo and cook for about 4 minutes, then crumble in the stock cube. Stir well to combine.
2. Transfer this mixture to a 2.5-litre lidded casserole pot in which the chicken can sit comfortably. Stir the wine, tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf and chillies into the onion mixture. Place the chicken on top, put the lid on and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
3. Remove the lid, brush the chicken with 1 tbsp olive oil and season the skin. Return it to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 1 hour more, or until golden.
4. Carefully lift out the chicken, draining all the juices from inside the cavity back into the pot, and place on a board to rest before carving.
5. Remove the dried chillies and bay leaf, then ladle the sauce from the pot into a pan and bring to the boil. Continue to cook until reduced by half. Carve the chicken and pour some of the sauce over each portion.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Just tried it, cooked in slow cooker. It is scrummy the chicken just falls apart and the stock is superb. A recipe i am saving for future use.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts