river valley caravan park county Wicklow

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I would like to know if anyone has been to this site in Ireland and your feedback would be helpful
The OH and I are looking to go in summer 2019 and this would be our 1st trip abroad
Thanks
bluerocket

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi Bluerocket

We visited this site last year (Easter) just the two of us and Ruby the dog. We booked through the caravan club a were on the “adult” part of the site which were good sized fully serviced pitches. There was a nice pub adjacent to the site and the Guinness flowed smoothly,

Just a short drive away is a lovely beach, Brtittas Bay and worth a visit also is Avoca where Ballykissangle was filmed.

We enjoyed our stay, so much so we are going again in a couple of weeks.

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jim
thanks for your reply.We are looking to stay at this site in July next year with our friends. The adults only section looks peaceful and relaxing place to stay. There is plenty to see and do in the area, is Dublin easy to get to without the car? as this will be a must do on our list
many thanks
bluerocket

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi Bluerocket.

We seldom use public transport when on our travels as I prefer the relative freedom of driving, so I’m not sure about your Dublin question. We will however check this out when we are there next week and let you know.

Many thanks
Jim

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
You can get to Dublin by coach from just about anywhere. Look up 'Bus Eireann' which I think is the Irish equivalent of National Express. You can also do the journey by train from Wicklow although we've never tried it ourselves. Driving in Dublin is not difficult but parking might be.

If you haven't booked your ferry crossing yet sign up to receive emails from Stena Line - they send out discount codes fairly frequently which are usually valid on either the Holyhead-Dublin or Fishguard-Rosslare routes.

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
We visited River Valley several years ago, and to be honest hated pretty much all of it.
The ferry crossing resulted in the manufacturers plate being jemmied off the side of the van during a `security` check at Holyhead docks (replacement plate and bodywork damage paid for by the ferry company - turns out it wasn`t an isolated occurrence as some dock-side workers were selling the plates to a certain caravanning community who were using them on stolen vans). River Valley itself was fine. Large, spotlessly clean with good facilities.
Sadly the locals were a little indifferent, with the teenagers being downright hostile and threatening towards my daughter and her friend. You have to be prepared to travel as there is little locally, we went to Cork on our final full day and on getting back the site was heaving - it was a Bank Holiday and the masses of Dublin had descended upon the site - it looked like Glastonbury, only I don`t know if the people in tents at Glastonbury just unzip their tents and chuck their rubbish out onto the site before zipping up again. I felt sorry for the owners who kept such a spotless site, but their efforts were trashed in hours. It was well after midnight before the adults who were playing football decided to call it a draw and let people go to sleep.

All in all, a lovely site but pretty much in the middle of nowhere (but the pub in Avoca is worth a visit) with the hostelries within easy reach expensive for barely average food. Hated every minute of our time over there, would have left sooner if not for the ferry and haven`t returned since. Ferries are a rip-off, would now rather go to France which is much cheaper.

Each to his own - hope you enjoy it if you go.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
After reading what I have just read that would put me off straight away with having kids . Our first trip abroad with a caravan was France and it was so easy and friendly , after reading that I would seriously be thinking about going to France like Angus says . We have just booked our third trip to France the other night for next year and what you will probably pay for the ferry to Ireland we have getting over 2 weeks stay ....

Craig

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts