Road Accidents - Help - what help

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I know my daughters first car a Fiesta, unfortunately she had an accident last night and flipped it landeing upside down on a farmers hedge. No one else involved We think she misjudged the road and it was after our first downpour, so the road was slippy. She managed to reach her mobile upside down and ring me.

Police and fire brigade were good, what really annoys me is the man who I flagged down for help, I explained there had been an accident, all he did was to say he would phone the police, he came back and said he had phoned and they would be here shortly, if they didn't arrive he me told who he had phoned and to ring them if they didn't arrive. He was really talking slow and weird. I never thought anything at the time. Much later to copper was talking and commented they only had a call for a woman staggering in the road (that's me) believed drunk!!!!!

Can you really beleive this?? All I did was to ask for help with my daughter in the raod as she managed to get out of the car before I got their.

No one stopped to help at all,I even knocked on the house nearby with lights on, no help there either, luckily she fine and all is well, sort of barring insurance and all that.

Now I know why he was talking so stupidly and why when the policeman arrived and drew up to my car he asked me most oddly was I the driver of the vehicle.

What would you do if you came accross a car at 11 30 pm with a young girl sitting in the road crying hers eyes out, and a woman asking for help with her, and a car upside down???

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
So glad to hear your daughter is ok. You must have had such a shock when she called you...thank heavens for mobiles.

Hope you sort out the insurance etc and she really is ok.

I would like to think I would have stopped to help you.

I have stopped before to assist people.

Coming home from work one day I rounded a bend to find a car overturned. The driver had managed to crawl out and when I checked he was ok I stood at the bend flagging drivers down until the police arrived so they would not drive around and hit the vehicle in the road.

I have stopped for others accidents but the most embarasing was the day a lorry was stopped on a hill and as I drove past the driver appeared to be slumped over the wheel. I stopped and went back to the lorry and banged on the door window and enquired if he was ok...I thought that he may have had a heart attack or something...anyway he told me he had broken down and was waiting for the recovery and as it was going to be some time he was just having a nap. Noone else had bothered to stop even though he was plain to see laying over the steering wheel.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I realise somethings aren't what they seem, so I can except that we could have terrorists, mad axe people, or other things.

What I'm thankful for is no hit her why she was at the side of the road, I had to drive slow and look hard.

I was most wooried when I saw the situ and had to leave her for 60 secs to find some to turn and get back so she was protected by my car.

If I didn't know she was there and driving down the lane, I wouldn't have seen on the floor, possibly until to late as it was pitch black and she was dressed in black.

That was the scariest moment I had, the thought of someone coming and not seeing her while I was driving for somewhere to turn and get back. That though really gives me the willies.

Makes me shake when I think of it.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Smiley

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughters accident. I'm glad that she is ok.

I would have stopped and helped. It's a very sad sign of the times that people are afraid to assist. I think it might be harder for a woman to assist a man in a similar situation for obvious reasons.

I understand how upset and frustrated you and your daughter must feel.

My mother (nearly 80), fell badly in the middle of a zebra crossing a couple of years ago and not one motorist attempted to help her. A very elderly man helped her in the end. Very sad.

Chin up.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi smiley,

Sorry to hear what happened and I hope it all turns out ok for you. Its very sad that people wont get involved and help others but its just a part of the "every man (or woman)for hinself" attitude that you increasingly find these days (except, of course for the good folk of the caravanning world who still, usually, can be relied on ! ).

Just for the record, when I took a first aid course many years ago we were taught that the first priority was to direct the traffic to prevent any further accidents rather than deal with any casualty. As I say, this was many years ago so perhaps someone can confirm if this is still the recommendation. Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts