road tax increase.??

Mar 18, 2006
Visit site
hi all..

no doubt most of us on here are a bit disgruntled at having to pay extra road tax on out 4x4's.. how about this for an idea though. if it would work??.. if the people that owned a big 4x4 for the sake of their caravanning hobby proved that they payed insurance on their caravans got a slight decrease in their road tax instead of an increase.. i use my freelander for towing mainly, we have a saxo 1.1 for normal runabout.. but all these so called flash sods that just get the new high powered range rovers and the like just for a status symbol should be taxed more.. i think that an insurance certificate for a caravan should entitle us to a small saving at least..

i would like your opinions.. it may sound like a daft idea but im just pi??ed off having to pay at he pumps and now the post office for tax for my hobby which we all love............................ and breath

thanks for the ears guys

daz

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
darrell, yet again you seem to have missed the point.

The increase in road tax for high polluting vehicles does not just affect 4x4 owner/drivers.

It also affects many other drivers as well, and not al use their car/mpv/whatever for towing.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't quite see the connection between tax and insurance. The two are paid into the same pocket. One is the government, the other is the insurance companies. I can't imagine that one of the two would voluntarily forsake income for the benefit of the other.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Darrell,

What you are suggesting sounds fine initially,and Damian seems to have missed the point, because if I understand your idea, anybody who can produce proof of an insured caravan would get reduced road tax regardless of their vehicle, are you including horse boxes, boat trailers, camping trailers etc or would your scheme be exclusive to caravans.Like you I am p***** off with the assault on 4x4 drivers,like you we have smaller vehicles for work, and the Shogun is used for towing the caravan,If we need to give up a vehicle one of the smaller ones will have to go, as they will not tow the caravan, so we will then use the Shogun more, Brilliant thinking from Gordon as usual.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I dont think I have missed the point at all. The higher road tax affects many more vehicles than just 4x4's.

As for providing proof of insurance to gain a reduced tax rate,,,what is the saving for non caravan owners to pay insurance on a van they dont have,,,,,to save on road tax.

The easiest way of reducing your road tax is buy a commercial vehicle, ie L200 etc as the standard road tax is about

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I still don't understand what insurance has to do with tax. After all, isn't the caravan covered third party anyway by the car insurance? One can't expect the government to give relief on a tax because of additional insurance coverage that isn't even required by law.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Lutz I think he was suggesting using the insurance certificate purely as proof of ownership of a caravan. Whether owning a caravan is sufficient reason for reduced road tax is another matter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The suggestion is that proof of caravanning would trigger a reduction in vehicle excise duty. Surely this could backfire - assume that a large car does 32mpg normally, but 25mpg towing, not untypical figures.

That's 0.03125 gallons per mile solo, and 0.04 gallons per mile towing. That's an increase in fuel consumption of 28%, and obviously a corresponding increase in emissions? So some treasury clown might suggest increasing VED if you tow a caravan ...

Not so much pay as you go, but pay twice - as is typical of this wonderful government.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Lets get real folks! All this hinges upon whether we have got a chancellor that responds to reasoned argument and we all know the answer to that!

This is just anther cash cow dreamed up to skim yet more taxes from the public, in this case (again) the motorist.

Watch this space for more of the same when Gordon walks into the top spot.

In the words of the prophet you aint' seen nothing yet!!!!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
No doubt daz is a bit of a flash sod with the "green Oval" badge and driving his Flash Freelander, e could have bought cheaper or older probably.

Most people spend on cars according to income, the people with new Range Rovers will have paid more income tax probaly pay more council tax's and will have paid mor Car Tax and VAT on their purchase and will pay premium rate insurance and as the car will do less mpg more fuel tax.

Apart from freedom of choice there are pleny of reasons for buying a premium car apart from caravanning and I can't see any way Darrells idea can work.

Just face fact, Brown has ripped everyone off again!

Mar 18, 2006
Visit site
HI ALL..

looks like i hit an nerve. not my intention honest.. and im not a flash sod either cris.. i work 6/7 days a week plus nights if needed just to be able to afford a freelander to pull my caravan. and as for your knowledge cris its a v reg couldnt afford anything else.. we need a big van because we have kids..

my point was that we holiday in this country not abroad..( well not yet anyway) so our money stays in this country but yet they rip us off again.. my boss has a new range rover sport supercharge so does my friend who is also a boss of his own company and all it is to them is a status symbol.. they dont pull anything with them its just a way of sayin "look at me im rich" or so i think.. i was led to believe that it was just 4x4 's that were gettin hit by the increase but apparently its not.. i have been told that its just after a certain date also .. my apologies..i dont read many papers or watch news..

i think some people on here got my gist others didnt.. sorry folks it was just an idea i had

daz

i just think that people that have big gas guzzlers other than for a "show off purpose" should be shown some leniency. whether it be a 4x4 or just a big car used as a tug..

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
darrell

As a V reg it is not subject to the large hike in road take for next year or the year after.

So, stop worrying about it and enjoy

May 12, 2006
Visit site
This is just anther cash cow dreamed up to skim yet more taxes from the public, in this case (again) the motorist.

How do you expect goverment to raise revenue ???. To pay for the NHS or for Defence etc the Goverment needs cash. So Stop bleating or try to vote them out when you have a chance. You could always lead a protest that's the Democratic way of doing things.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can understand your sentiments, Darrell. I would be in favor of any idea that brings down the cost of motoring. However, as an idea, caravan insurance used as a form of discount on the RFL, is a none starter. The only way to hit the motorist in a reasonable, consistent and equal fashion is to scrap the RFL and add the costs onto fuel. That way, no one (or at least, very few) avoids paying the tax and you pay on the amount you use. If you have a large vehicle turning out loads of CO2 and using the roads often, you pay more. If you have a tow car that likes a drink, but sits on your drive for the vast majority of the time, you pay less. It's a win win situation and would cost pennies to set up compared to road pricing.

So why isn't it happening? Answer on the back of a "tenner" please.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
LOL is right, it would be the only fair way to tax vehicles.

Agree 100 %, but hey do we not do this already with VAT ?? the more you use the more you pay ????? Can't be seen to be doing it twice can he???

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is Ann, but that's an unfair way of doing it. I have a car that is penalized for having a two litre engine, good some might say, but hang on. This car is insured for doing no more than 3000 miles a year, it will probably do far less than that, so why should I be penalized for it. I create no more CO2 than a 50cc motorbike that's ridden daily, why can't I be taxed as such? Substitute the car I have, for any medium to large car that does little mileage and you can appreciate the injustice being done.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Daz.

Nothing personal, but you obviously don't like having the finger pointed at you so why single out your boss or anyone else.

He spends his money how he chooses and you and I and others here do the same.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Seems to me the fairest alternative would be to abolish car tax altogether and add it on to the cost of petrol in such a way that it would breakeven at around 10000 miles/annum.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Yes, I agree with you about the unfairness of vehicle taxation. We have a car which is 20 months old and have travelled just over 6000 miles so we are also a low-mileage user.

I also advocate that 'paying at the pumps' instead of vehicle excise duty yearly is a fairer way of dealing with this problem. It would also catch the tax 'dodgers' currently using the roads. I can't see why the Government seem to h*ll bent against it.

As for the road tax being taken from us to support the road system, that really is a laugh. The roads in this country are a total disgrace --- so nothing will convince me that we are getting value for money.

When the Supertram was being installed in Sheffield it wasn't routed to essential services -- the two main hospitals. To access one of the hospitals it is almost a mile hike from the nearest tram stop. Mind you this particular hospital makes a packet from parking charges.

Oh, yes, it runs to the doorstep of both Universities but, then, how many students use it. Students tend to want to live close to campus.

Whichever way you look at it the motorist get a raw deal.

Rant over --- standing down.

Have a good day everyone.

Ann

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
UK drivers have been paying over the odds at the pumps for years, Diesel has been far more expensive than most if not all olaces in Europe so everyone that goes to a shop has been paying over the odds as well.

Instead of bickering as to who should pay what it is time all UK drivers said enough is enough we have been ripped off for to long as motorists, sort out the finances on what you are grabbing from us now and leave us alone!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts