Rock pegs for hard hard standing

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Currently we have these pegs for the really hard hardstanding which seem to be at CAMC sites. However we have found that the plastic tops get brittle after a while and break when lifting them out again. Plus they seem to bend rather easily on a hard standing pitch.

We are looking to replace them with some more robust heavy duty pegs with a minimum length of 25cm. Blue diamond pro rock pegs are only 20cm so too short. We do have 6 really heavy duty thick pegs, but have no idea where we acquired them however one of them the plastic has cracked.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have Peggy Pegs, and find them excellent but still struggle with hard standings. The set in the link is expensive and does not either have the metal ones or the long soft ground ones mine has, I was lucky, I got them for about £30 at a show.

I now avoid putting pegs into hard standing by not putting an awning up, just a Fiamma which can be pegged outside.

I imagine though that these pegs might suit your needs. Big hammer required.

But this is your best bet to get them started.

1630747724540.jpeg

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Those peggy pegs were the first screw in pegs we used and found them to be totally useless. We do have metal screw pegs bought from Screwfix at a fraction of the price charged if you buy a kit off eBay or similar.
We use them most times, but occasional we come across a hard standing where they cannot be used. We also have 4 of those those large marque pegs to peg down corners on a hard hard standing and always use them when pegging down the sun canopy. (Suppose to be sunny next week?)
I do use a drill with a masonry bit to make a pilot hole, but it is a bit of a faff and would prefer to be able to hammer them in one time. Pity nail guns cannot be used. LOL!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As I said, the Peggy Pegs struggle on hard standings. But I find them great everywhere else.

John
No issue on grass, but in those days we were using hard standing and they did not last. Now we mainly use grass pitches where possible so generally CLs or commercial sites.
BTW what is the contraption shown in the picture in your post as have no idea what it is?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
No issue on grass, but in those days we were using hard standing and they did not last. Now we mainly use grass pitches where possible so generally CLs or commercial sites.
BTW what is the contraption shown in the picture in your post as have no idea what it is?

Small breaker. It vibrates or turns or both. Otherwise a bigger version of a hammer drill. They are often called Kango hammers. As an apprentice I spent many many days with one forming chases for conduit. The used to call me Johnny Quango. Remember him?

John

Reactions: audiorob
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Small breaker. It vibrates or turns or both. Otherwise a bigger version of a hammer drill. They are often called Kango hammers. As an apprentice I spent many many days with one forming chases for conduit. The used to call me Johnny Quango. Remember him?

John
Thought it was the size of a hand drill? Need a smaller version for some hardstandings. LOL! :D

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
After bending so many rock pegs we bought some extra length (about 9'') brass screws with a hexagonal head. I use a drill on a slow "hammer" setting for the rock hard ground here in Portugal. I attach large washers for the intermediate elastic straps and "U' shaped clips (with holes for the screw) for the corner and central straps. Seems to work OK.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
After bending so many rock pegs we bought some extra length (about 9'') brass screws with a hexagonal head. I use a drill on a slow "hammer" setting for the rock hard ground here in Portugal. I attach large washers for the intermediate elastic elastic straps and "U' shaped clips (with holes for the screw) for the corner and central straps. Seems to work OK.
i have some in as well they seem to do the job :)

Reactions: PTA
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Last 15 years I still have 50.+ of the original screw in rock pegs with the blue hard plastic guy links. The bolts can be bought separately from Iron mongers. They even came with their own socket for screwing in with a drill. However I have always hammered them! Sadly they don‘t seem to be commercially available any more.But you could easily make your own up!!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our new awning only takes about twenty pegs+ and at present we have enough rock pegs that screw in and like some one else I like to use my hammer and what came with the Vango we are ok

TRENDING THREADS