Roof Boxes.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody use a roof box in conjunction with car and caravan. We used to setup on pitch and have our grandkids delivered to us ;), but wanting now to go farther afield with them, it means packing them with all the other stuff. As per the law, that means us carrying two child seats, so instead of dropping the rear (middle) seats, we now only have the boot. So, I am thinking towards a roof box and wondered what all yout thoughts are.

My car will carry 100kg on the roof, a Thule Motion XT or similar will carry 75kg. However as the box weighs in at 20kg and add maybe 5gk more of locks and bars, its going to give me the full 75kg to load, not that I intend to put that much weight up there. My magnum and IXL poles weigh 32.25kg combined, two Vango Titan Chairs at 4kg each, groundsheet, and assorted bags of boots and shoes etc, and the Skottl Pan is well within the carrying capacity of car roof and roof box. So, all good reasons to do it. My car doesnt suffer much fuel consumption increase when towing, so no reason to think a roofbox will make a drastic difference, but its a thirsty beast anyway. To me, all sound reasons for doing it and I can only think of one con.

The con ................. its a very tall car, and its a short driver. Throwing an awning up there isnt an issue strength wise, but it will still mean a climb to get access.

All that said, what experiences with boxes have you got?

And I have still got to find a home for that darned Cadac, love it to bits but what a dumb shape to pack neatly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used one for the very same reasons as you with two medium dogs plus grandkids ranging from 2 to 15. Even at 6 ft 4 inches I had to use folding steps to load it properly and tauten the tie down straps. I used a lightweight 120kg load folding two step ladder. You can get three step ones. The pictures just an example. One thing that made it easier was the roof box loads from both sides and it uses wind on clamps which are easier than U bolts.

B840A3FC-A8B6-42CC-BC3D-2625F6A1749B.jpeg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I used one for the very same reasons as you with two medium dogs plus grandkids ranging from 2 to 15. Even at 6 ft 4 inches I had to use folding steps to load it properly and tauten the tie down straps. I used a lightweight 120kg load folding two step ladder. You can get three step ones. The pictures just an example. One thing that made it easier was the roof box loads from both sides and it uses wind on clamps which are easier than U bolts.

View attachment 2560
Then you have to figure out where to stow the step ladder.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Following a recommendation from a member on this forum ( I forget who), I purchased one of these.

1636293407059.png

It is multi purpose. Putting the awning up, and doubling as a BBQ stand, and would be useful for loading a top box. It is also great at home for decorating etc.

To store, it just goes behind the van door, and, on site, either left up outside or slid under the van.

But I would refrain from putting grandchildren in a top box.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
TBH, we have the double caravan step which will be enough. We already have a set of steps which were discarded due to a weight saving exercise (remember the teapot and cast iron trivet).

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does anybody use a roof box in conjunction with car and caravan. We used to setup on pitch and have our grandkids delivered to us ;), but wanting now to go farther afield with them, it means packing them with all the other stuff. As per the law, that means us carrying two child seats, so instead of dropping the rear (middle) seats, we now only have the boot. So, I am thinking towards a roof box and wondered what all yout thoughts are.

My car will carry 100kg on the roof, a Thule Motion XT or similar will carry 75kg. However as the box weighs in at 20kg and add maybe 5gk more of locks and bars, its going to give me the full 75kg to load, not that I intend to put that much weight up there. My magnum and IXL poles weigh 32.25kg combined, two Vango Titan Chairs at 4kg each, groundsheet, and assorted bags of boots and shoes etc, and the Skottl Pan is well within the carrying capacity of car roof and roof box. So, all good reasons to do it. My car doesnt suffer much fuel consumption increase when towing, so no reason to think a roofbox will make a drastic difference, but its a thirsty beast anyway. To me, all sound reasons for doing it and I can only think of one con.

The con ................. its a very tall car, and its a short driver. Throwing an awning up there isnt an issue strength wise, but it will still mean a climb to get access.

All that said, what experiences with boxes have you got?

And I have still got to find a home for that darned Cadac, love it to bits but what a dumb shape to pack neatly.
As age and arthritis are now obstacles for us we are selling our Kamei Corvara roof box and Thule roof bars. The box is 1.9m in length and 780mm wide and approximately 400mm in height so plenty of space. It was manufactured in Germany. Still have the boxes for the roof rails however you will need to check if the roof bars will fit your vehicle.
The roofbox can easily hold our Magnum plus groundsheet, both windbreaks and sun canopy. However what counts is the maximum weight that you can load on the roof.
If you are interested PM me and I can send pictures.

PS We also have the steps to reach the roof box if that helps.

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
We used to have a topbox on our hyundai santa fe for all the bit that we needed while away only problem with a top box is the carparks when not hooked up to the caravan most now height barriers on them and you'd struggle to get in them with a SUV and top box

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Buckman, Im semi-interested. I was looking at one thats 46cm deep and 90cm wide having measure the height of our awning bag. Also some rails from Thule only carry 75kg which, when you add 20kg for the box, reduces your carry to around 55kg.

How old is it and what colour/condition. My roof rails are the usual Shogun fair, i.e. open rails. Years back I bought a Halfords one and put the sleeping bags up there along with other stuff. Got to our site to find everything wet through. Took it back and threw it at them which they then swapped for a Thule Ocean, and that was fantastic.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Thingy, we used to use one all the time when our kids were small and came away with us.
Same size as Buckmans and found it perfect. Our two deckchairs fitted n there along with everything else. accessed it using the caravan step.
We were towing with an ‘06 3.2 Shogun then and never found it made any difference whatsoever, the Shoguns we both currently have are a higher power version (mine is and assume yours is too), go for it.

Kev

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Buckman, Im semi-interested. I was looking at one thats 46cm deep and 90cm wide having measure the height of our awning bag. Also some rails from Thule only carry 75kg which, when you add 20kg for the box, reduces your carry to around 55kg.

How old is it and what colour/condition. My roof rails are the usual Shogun fair, i.e. open rails. Years back I bought a Halfords one and put the sleeping bags up there along with other stuff. Got to our site to find everything wet through. Took it back and threw it at them which they then swapped for a Thule Ocean, and that was fantastic.

It is black and in good condition. I am not sure if my rails are the same as yours as I never used the roof box on the Shogun. Think we bought the roofbox in 2018 for our trip to Spain.
The roof rails are Thule (252) Rapid system XT low feet no 753 and Wing bars are Thule (96) Evo 118cm black no 711220.
All bought from the Roofbox Co.

Car roofbox.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Couple of things jump out, the feet certainly wont fit, i have open rails that need some sort of claw fitting, and I think those bars are rated 75kg which lowers the boxes capacatity to around 50kg.

I too was looking at the roofbox company, and the one Im looking at is
Hapro Trivor 560 roof box, metallic black, no. 33011. At 90cm wide its a decent size.
I’ve got the Hapro Traxor. No complaints whatsoever.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Couple of things jump out, the feet certainly wont fit, i have open rails that need some sort of claw fitting, and I think those bars are rated 75kg which lowers the boxes capacatity to around 50kg.

I too was looking at the roofbox company, and the one Im looking at is
Hapro Trivor 560 roof box, metallic black, no. 33011. At 90cm wide its a decent size.
Whatever you decide I would recommend the aluminium silver through bars. Checking we paid about £380 for the Kamei Corvara roof box as we got a 10% discount through the ukcampsite forum. Ours also opens from both sides ans not just the one side.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Im still weighing it up, but even madam is on board with this one which means I get to spend without feeling guilty ;)

I have also been looking at what I consider to be the best towing mirros I have ever seen, but they are propoer pricey, even if I can find them over here.

Google Clearview NextGen Towing mirror. It replaces your car mirrors with an extendable twin mirror, complete with electrics, one mirror aligned for a normal road view, the other looking up at the sife of your caravan for low branches, tight squeezes. I can only dream!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, Im still weighing it up, but even madam is on board with this one which means I get to spend without feeling guilty ;)

I have also been looking at what I consider to be the best towing mirros I have ever seen, but they are propoer pricey, even if I can find them over here.

Google Clearview NextGen Towing mirror. It replaces your car mirrors with an extendable twin mirror, complete with electrics, one mirror aligned for a normal road view, the other looking up at the sife of your caravan for low branches, tight squeezes. I can only dream!

That's an impressive and innovative company. It highlights how the Ausies would use their 4x4's a bit differently to us. They did not seem to have mirrors for your Shogun (or do they have it under a different name). Otherwise it looked as though they were a little under £1000 AU dollars a pair. Its interesting looking at the other items they sell. I particularly liked the fitting videos they took the trouble to make.

John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I really am impressed, im sure there will be a set for the Shogun, as Oz has more Shoguns than roos. Clever idea though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Probably a lot cheaper and more effective to have a rear view camera fitted onto the back of the caravan.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Weight might be a problem, both overall and what you can put on the roof. An awning is heavy and would almost certainly rise the centre of gravity of the car to a point where the handling would be affected assuming it is within the limits for the roof and with grandchildren and other things in the car be gross weight might need to be watched.
If you carry an awning in the car, low down is the best place. If the grandchildren have short enough legs, I would put the awning in between the front and back seats for the best balance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Valid point but even with the roof box loaded and with a caravan in tow the cars handling is unlikely to be upset as you are driving more slowly and less likely to be tackling bends with normal gusto. The additional passengers will partly compensate for the Center of gravity increase of the roofbox. We found such an arrangement very useful and in particular if we had a wet awning not having it inside the car or van was a bonus when travelling home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts