Route from Dunkerque to Narbonne

G

We head down to Rouen and then take route Evreus - Dreux - Chartres and Orleans

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello Stanley. We have travelled down to Spain from Calais every year since 1984, towing the 'van. We have tried all routes thro France, including via Paris and various "green-routes". We prefer to use the route recommended by Ray, except we go round Lyon on the A46 (ring-road). We have our favourite stops enroute which we use each year.The tolls were 121.50 Euros(one-way) in 2006. To us,its worth the money.

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello Stanley. We have travelled down to Spain from Calais every year since 1984, towing the 'van. We have tried all routes thro France, including via Paris and various "green-routes". We prefer to use the route recommended by Ray, except we go round Lyon on the A46 (ring-road). We have our favourite stops enroute which we use each year.The tolls were 121.50 Euros(one-way) in 2006. To us,its worth the money.
Stanley: Next year we are going via Zeebruge (all booked) but we intend using same route thro France.

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stanley,

Yes I've got to agree with Ray and Laurie. I also tow to Spain and SW France at least twice a year using the same route. I've tried several others, but for ease of driving and saving time, this is the way we go.

G

I use the same route as Euro, through Rouen. We usually leave a site outside Abbeville after breakfast and can be in Vierzon around 4pm. The bit from Rouen to the motorway north of Orleans is usually very quiet although the last bit is only A road. You then get the free A20 going south. Excellent chip stall in a layby just north of Dreux, by the way.

G

Good question, but I don't have an answer as we go in May. Have you tried the CC Book? Or possibly a French Camping web page.

Our motorhome brethren have one up on us here as they can use Aires.

G

Taking the problem from a different angle.

We like others have used www.accorhotels.com when towing the caravan.

The Formule 1 and Etap hotels in the group have a price range between about 29 and 40 Euros a night and there are quite a few around Rouen and most Cities and the price is per room for up to 3 peaople.

We have always managed to park the van or trailers OK and often they are secure car parks, the hotels are modern, basic and clean.

In winter it may be worth considering as it is an easy option.

We do use motorway stops as well, but that is up to you.

Nov 19, 2006
Visit site

The Formule 1 and Etap hotels in the group have a price range between about 29 and 40 Euros a night and there are quite a few around Rouen and most Cities and the price is per room for up to 3 peaople.

We have always managed to park the van or trailers OK and often they are secure car parks, the hotels are modern, basic and clean.

We used to use Etap and Premier Classe hotels for overnight stops when we had an old very basic 'van. Now that we have a modern fully winterised one we use campsites. Going south via Paris there are some sites open in Jan, which is probably the route that we will take.

G

I just gave it as an option that some may not think of Graham as people often think a hotels is going to be a lot lot more than a pitch for the night. Sometimes we just do a really long run in a day and even with the best of vans it just saves doing even minimum set up.

G

We live in France Stanley and the Reims route is OK, but we find the route down to Rouen and on is quieter. All though you have to use a bit of A road, we have found Reims area very busy with HGV traffic at times and on Route to Dijon with traffic heading to and from Germany and Switzerland. But you take your chances on any route. Travelling in winter I find the western route is by far the better weather wise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts