Sadly 😥😥😥No hope for me😥😥😥

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Today’s DT is telling me how wonderful the new MB EQS is. What a joke it costs £98000. And if I want a rival I can choose a Tesla S £74 k or a Porsche Taycan from £84k or an Audi E-tron GT RS from£111k.
Give me strength🤬🤬🤬🤬

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Today’s DT is telling me how wonderful the new MB EQS is. What a joke it costs £98000. And if I want a rival I can choose a Tesla S £74 k or a Porsche Taycan from £84k or an Audi E-tron GT RS from£111k.
Give me strength🤬🤬🤬🤬
Well at least it’s only strength you are seeking and not money. Could try crowdfunding.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Give me strength🤬🤬🤬🤬

Although the petrol equivalent is also of the order of £100 grand. (S class 500 AMG line L).

Saw a realy interesting YouTube the other day by EVMan, comparing New cash and lease prices of EVs that are "equivelent" Like the peugot 208 and e208, the VW UP! and the Mini Cooper S. There the list prices of the EVs are definitely higher but in 2 cases, the monthly lease cost of the electric equivalent is lower for the same mileage, and lease period, and that is without looking at the servicing, VED and fuel savings.
View: https://youtu.be/kx_fdmOpNCs

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting that the EV is far more expensive to run over the course of 3 years than the equivalent petrol version? As they are lease cars servicing etc is all factor into the cost of the lease. Puts you right off purchasing an EV if you are on a tight budget.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Although the petrol equivalent is also of the order of £100 grand. (S class 500 AMG line L).

Saw a realy interesting YouTube the other day by EVMan, comparing New cash and lease prices of EVs that are "equivelent" Like the peugot 208 and e208, the VW UP! and the Mini Cooper S. There the list prices of the EVs are definitely higher but in 2 cases, the monthly lease cost of the electric equivalent is lower for the same mileage, and lease period, and that is without looking at the servicing, VED and fuel savings.
View: https://youtu.be/kx_fdmOpNCs
My daughter hopes to get a Corolla Self Charging Hybrid for her work. She looked at PHEV but against her mileage plan it was more expensive and her BIK was higher based on the list price being higher. She seemed okay about battery range of the PHEV but in the end it was pure budgeting economics that decided her on the self charging model. Must say though that looking at the specification and reviews the Corolla slipped in under our radar. It was her lease manager that pointed her towards Toyota.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Interesting that the EV is far more expensive to run over the course of 3 years than the equivalent petrol version? As they are lease cars servicing etc is all factor into the cost of the lease. Puts you right off purchasing an EV if you are on a tight budget.
It’s interesting as some studies have shown EV cheaper than petrol over the lifetime (14 years ) of the average car. But it was only just over £100 per year. So not a deal breaker and who keeps a car for 14 years? I wonder if they included for a battery replacement but batteries are surprisingly longer lasting than previously predicted. Toyota give 10 years 1000000 extendable to 15 years and 150000 miles. Would like to see more info on the comparisons as fleet calculations over three years on ICE often don’t include for things that are recommended but not included in the standard maintenance schedule. Even servicing intervals can vary too.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s interesting as some studies have shown EV cheaper than petrol over the lifetime (14 years ) of the average car. But it was only just over £100 per year. So not a deal breaker and who keeps a car for 14 years? I wonder if they included for a battery replacement but batteries are surprisingly longer lasting than previously predicted. Toyota give 10 years 1000000 extendable to 15 years and 150000 miles. Would like to see more info on the comparisons as fleet calculations over three years on ICE often don’t include for things that are recommended but not included in the standard maintenance schedule. Even servicing intervals can vary too.
Our Corolla is a P reg so 1996 with 114k miles and well past 14 years and still going strong. If we get around to trading it in it will probably be for the Corolla Hydrid so your daughter has made a good choice. :)

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The fleet calculations over 3 years from new are only useful for those who run their cars on that basis - since the average car only does 7-8,000 miles/year it's a nonsense to use 10-12,000 miles/year for calculations.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Wait - What? Where did you get that piece of information? EVs are far lower cost to run than a petrol version. VED = 0. Pence per mile is around 1 to 5 depending on how it's charged vs 10 to 15 for petrol, and servicing costs are lower.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Regarding the video as from 1st Oct there is going to be a minimum of a 45% increase in the cost of a kw of electric so it will make charging an EV even more expensive especially if charging away from home.
There is a ruling that unless you have a supplier's licence you cannot charge more than what you are paying per kw.
This will make it awkward for camping sites that want to install fast charge bollards for charging as they cannot recoup the cost of installing the bollard and it would be unfair to pass on the cost to others who do not have an EV. What about those that will simply plug the vehicle into the caravan to evade the cost of charging at the bollard? Eventually that cost will probaly be passed onto those without EVs?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The fleet calculations over 3 years from new are only useful for those who run their cars on that basis - since the average car only does 7-8,000 miles/year it's a nonsense to use 10-12,000 miles/year for calculations.
I know and that means the average owner who adheres to the maintenance schedule is paying more per mile than the Fleet driver, but it’s always been thus.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are retired and our Jeep does about 7-8000 miles a year so someone working will probably clock up a lot more mileage. Our small town car does about 3k a year so together about 11k per annum.
When I was working I did approximately 12k or more a year in my private car. With a company car 18k or more was about average.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
My daughter hopes to get a Corolla Self Charging Hybrid for her work. She looked at PHEV but against her mileage plan it was more expensive and her BIK was higher based on the list price being higher. She seemed okay about battery range of the PHEV but in the end it was pure budgeting economics that decided her on the self charging model. Must say though that looking at the specification and reviews the Corolla slipped in under our radar. It was her lease manager that pointed her towards Toyota.
If she is getting a company car and has the opportunity to park off road you simply cant beat an EV for economics. Try comparing the costs of a Peugot e-208 with a toyota corrolla hatch back hybrid.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wait - What? Where did you get that piece of information? EVs are far lower cost to run than a petrol version. VED = 0. Pence per mile is around 1 to 5 depending on how it's charged vs 10 to 15 for petrol, and servicing costs are lower.
Did you watch the video? Difference in cost of petrol vehicle and EV is more than cost of VED several times or more.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If she is getting a company car and has the opportunity to park off road you simply cant beat an EV for economics. Try comparing the costs of a Peugot e-208 with a toyota corrolla hatch back hybrid.
The Hydrid wins hands down and is the better buy.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Savings on fuel of just over £100 a year? If you can charge from home, for it to be that little you would gave to have an annual mileage of about 1200 miles. It's more like £100 a month.
If you assume 8000 miles a year at an average of 50 mpg, with petrol being £1.30 a litre, that's 160 gallons or 720 litres or £936 in petrol
For an EV getting an average of 180 miles from a full charge of 70kWh (and thats a conservative estimate) you need 45 full charges for 8000 miles. 1kWh costs 5p over night or 15p during the day. Day rate = £473. Night rate 45 *70* .05 = £157.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
The Hydrid wins hands down and is the better buy.
Are we talking about the same thing? The Toyota costs about 24K and had a BIK of 24% or 25%. For a 25% rate tax payer, that is an annual cost of 24,000 *25% *25% = 1500. The EV costs 28000 with a BIK of 2% thats an annual cost of 28,000 * 2% * 25% = £140. Less than a tenth? How is a hybrid in any possible way a more economical choice?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Savings on fuel of just over £100 a year? If you can charge from home, for it to be that little you would gave to have an annual mileage of about 1200 miles. It's more like £100 a month.
If you assume 8000 miles a year at an average of 50 mpg, with petrol being £1.30 a litre, that's 160 gallons or 720 litres or £936 in petrol
For an EV getting an average of 180 miles from a full charge of 70kWh (and thats a conservative estimate) you need 45 full charges for 8000 miles. 1kWh costs 5p over night or 15p during the day. Day rate = £473. Night rate 45 *70* .05 = £157.
Have to taken into consideration that impact of the cost of electric increase from 1st Oct? Sorry no matter how I look at it, petrol or hydrid is still the cheaper option when you take into consideration the cost of buying or leasing the petrol vehicle and the cost of buying or leasing the EV. I appreciate that you think the EV is the better option as you own one, but to us it is not an option however a hydrid is an option.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s not a company car it’s a NHS lease vehicle but its my daughter that pays the lease cost. For the SC hybrid Corolla Design its £218 per month based on work mileage of 6000 miles and private of 10000 miles. But the end of lease finalisation May change either way if her work and private mileages differ. The 208 is a group below the Corolla and at the moment Toyota do not offer EV.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
She looked at PHEV but against her mileage plan it was more expensive and her BIK was higher based on the list price being higher.

Also - is she aware that BIK is based on list price, but BIK rate (percentage) is based on emissions. In tax year 22/23 Kia Niro Hybrid = 29%. Kia Nero PHEV = 12%, Kia Nero EV = 2%.

Kia NiroListBIK rateTaxable value
Hybrid£29,60029%£8,584
PHEV£31,94512%£3,833
EV£39,1452%£790

It's simply undeniable that for a company car driver the cost of a pure petrol is higher than PHEV is higher than EV.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that approaching 75 leasing is not for me as if anything goes wrong and I have to stop driving that car would be expensive to give back and anyway the lease is normally on far lower mileages than I would need.
I do wonder about the cost figures anyway. The cost depends a lot on how you use the car, how and where you drive and fuel costs in your area. I assume hat it did not factor in the availability of free charging that we have at the moment which would make a difference. Costs of fuel and electricity will vary over the next few years so any calculations will be out because of this.
I always take these things with a pinch of salt as they are based on some theoretical person and not you. At the end of the day you have to find something that suits you and your lifestyle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts