Sarah's SatNav rage

R

RobGanley

Just been reading Sarah's piece in the latest PMH about "SatNav rage," and thought I'd contribute my fourpenn'orth. With our "Jenny" (TomTomOne XL), it's not so much that she takes us the "wrong" way, more that she has a strange idea of what consitutes a real road.
We often select "fastest route" if there's nowhere on the way we specially want to visit, but In both France and East Anglia, she has a penchant for finding tracks which DO actually reach the destination, and technically have the National Speed Limit (60mph, 90kph or whatever), but which are only suitable for very careful use at MUCH lower speeds.
I don't often do "rage," but have occasionally used mildly strong language about this tendency. Anyone else come across it?

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
We had one or two experiences like that when we used TomTom but only one where we had to turn round and retrace our steps.

It's not exclusive to TomTom though. We changed to Garmin about 18 months ago and were taken along a passable but not pleasant road when going to a CS in August. I thought it a bit odd when the instructions were to turn off the main road but didn't realise how steep and narrow the one we were taking was.

Just shows the limitations of "fastest route". Must have saved all of 5 seconds
smiley-smile.gif

Graham

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't like satnavs and do not use them in the van although we sometimes carry one as we were bought one once.. A good map, written down instructions, and a wife who is an excellent map reader if I need help - such as when somebody has nicked or damaged the road signs - is more than enough for me. My rule, travel down nothing less than a B- road unless it is essential or I am happy it will be wide enough eg buses and lorries use it.
I've only once got in trpuble using this principle and maps. And that was because of parked cars blocking the road.
Satnavs are good for warning of road dangers such as those controlled by speed limits which can be missed but I haven't found them better than a map for getting from A to B.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Each to their own on that, I wouldn't quarrel about it. I was a late convert to SatNav myself, and for years my wife did all the navigating.
The big advantage we've found with SatNav is when we're in a strange city (UK or abroad). All the direction signs near the centre of any city usually only point to areas WITHIN the city - no use at all if you're wanting to leave for your next destination, especially with one-way systems which mean you can't just use your sense of direction. "Jenny" has proved 100% reliable in getting us out of town and onto the route we need.

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Our TomT frequently takes us or tries to take us down unsuitable roads, once in the Loire the road got narrower and narrower and then along beside the river! we were lucky though a delivery van (must also have had TT lol) met us just where he could get past we had to go on but it did take us to where we were going although not a road we would have chosen.
It often has me shouting NO no just as John was going to follow the instructions to the latter and take us between buildings that I could see we would get stuck!! I dont know why he has a difficulty ignoring HER when he ignores my instructions frequently. lol.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Different voice frequencies Maggy.
Or it may be that John's just got used to ignoring you over the years - I do a bit of marriage counselling as a sideline ..... £££££££€€€€€
smiley-laughing.gif

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Tony but since we have just celebrated our 50th I think you were right in your first comment
smiley-laughing.gif
what does annoy me though if I say "we turn right in 200 yds he says "Who said"
smiley-undecided.gif
!!!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Can you imitate the Sat Nav's voice?
Or as a special gift for him, have YOUR voice put on the Sat Nav?
Either way, at least you'd then have equal status! Or would that be just too confusing?

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Far to confusing Tony
smiley-laughing.gif
and as I DONT like the sound of my own voice it would drive me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always say when on vidio "thats not me is it" LOL

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
maggyd. said:
Our TomT frequently takes us or tries to take us down unsuitable roads, once in the Loire the road got narrower and narrower and then along beside the river! we were lucky though a delivery van (must also have had TT lol) met us just where he could get past we had to go on but it did take us to where we were going although not a road we would have chosen.
It often has me shouting NO no just as John was going to follow the instructions to the latter and take us between buildings that I could see we would get stuck!! I dont know why he has a difficulty ignoring HER when he ignores my instructions frequently. lol.

A fellow MH'er recommended the ProNav to us when we'd just bought Monty (the MH); it's designed for the haulage trade so therefore we can input vehicle weight and dimensions, which has proved useful on ocassions...!

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Got seriously p155ed at ours the other year in France, kept taking us into a Géant car park, gave it up as a bad job and followed signposted route long way around a ring road, 20 minutes later passed same Géant supermarket from other side, it could've been a brilliant short cut through their car park, so, don't rule out the dafter ideas straight off

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts