Save money on medicals for licences

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Having had cause to need a medical in order to continue with C1 licence for my 3.8 tonne motorhome I checked out my GP and found he/she was quite pricey. Instead I booked an appointment within a week with Doctors on Wheels who run a mobile service at a reasonable priceof £51 saving £9 but I understand some people can save much more. Find them at http://www.doctorsonwheels.co.uk/

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip David - more and more people are going to need to keep (or get!) C1, unless of course the converters in our industry start thinking outside the box, to provide sub-3.5 motorhomes with a decent payload.
The C1 "population" is getting squeezed from both ends, as those who passed their test after '97 don't have it, and those reaching 70 need a medical to keep it.
Oh, and welcome to the PMH Forum!

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Tony, and yes, I echo your remarks. In my case I am having to regain C1 at age 74 because I was misled by a dealer into think a downplate would mean no medicals. But I reckoned without Burstner having homologated the van as a truck and the dealer not knowing what day of the week it was. As a result I am paying £500 tax because the van is now classed as a diesel car with a high CO2 output. I am having it replated to 3750 kg and will take the medicals....and pay a lot less in tax. The whole system is a farce/mess and dealers, it seems, haven't a clue what they are talking about on these technicalities. Luckily I have no health issues so, fingers crossed, when I have my medical tomorrow and resubmit my licence renewal...and then resubmit my V70...I can look forward to a nice rebate!

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
UPATE on my previous posting re medicals with doctorsonwheels.com.....I made the rendezvous (at a truckstop just off the M1) and had BP checked and answered lots of questions and was back on the road in 15 minutes. Forms were submitted and - bingo! - I got my C1 licence valid for three years with no problems whatsoever. Apparently some GPs and local medical centres are charging as much as £250 for this service which cost me just £51. Now I am waiting for my Burstener Nexxo to be up-rated again to 3850 kg so it can be taxed at £165 (private HGV) instead of £500 (diesel car) and am extremely grateful to SVTech (www.svtech.co.uk) for their help and guidance in this minefield. For everyone with a van in the 3500 kg range a visit to their website can be informative and probably financially advantageous. Although why the Government and the DVLA are still so confused over the classification of motor homes is another question altogether!! They've been around long enough now! And as for salesmen who haven't a clue about the topic.....words fail!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts