Saw caravan lose a wheel

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Coming back from Brean yesterday was overtaken safely by a newish landrover towing an Abbey Spectrum 520 twin axle,as it overtook a lorry saw someting fly across the motorway to central reservation and the lorry pulled over.As I got closer saw someone pulled the L/R over,the wheel had come off the caravan and hit the lorry.Luckily noone got hurt,I have it on my dashcam I'll try to upload a pic.Amazingly the Landrover driver didnt seem to notice he had only got 3 wheels.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Glad it seems no one was injured in that, could have been nasty.
A good number of years ago now we were driving south with the caravan,going over the Shap summit when we were overtaken by what looked like an older two berth van being towed along at a fair but not dangerous speed. Just as he was pulling back into the left lane I noticed the van's offside wheel starting to wobble a bit, caravan looked stable enough but that wheel didn't. Next thing I knew was the wheel was off, the caravan offside hub was against the road throwing up a sheet of orange sparks. The driver pulled over safely, no one hurt, people stopped to make sure the driver was ok. What really struck me (glad the wheel didn't) was the speed the loose wheel maintained when it came off. The wheel actually overtook the towing car, bouncing several times at what seemed a good old height before disappearing over the fence on the left and into the moor where it is probably still lying to this day. Would not have liked to have got in the way of that wheel either as a pedestrian or driver.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........I once had a grandstand view of an incident that is etched on my brain because it was so miraculous that no one was killed.
I was driving an articulated truck which was 3 vehicles behind an 8 wheeler tipper truck when the tipper lost it's nearside rear set of twin wheels on a busy M4 near Bristol.
These wheels left the truck still bolted to the brake drum so the total weight must of been around 1/3 of a ton.
They overtook the now slowing down tipper truck and rose up the nearside embankment.
They then came down off the embankment and crossed all the lanes of the London bound carriageway and hit the central reservation Armco.
This sent them almost vertically 7 meters into the air before bouncing on the Bristol bound carriageway and then coming to rest on the hard shoulder.
The motorway was very busy and I have no idea how those wheels did not hit one or more vehicles.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
During my youth, a mate and myself were in a Riley elf, thundering along at 60 mph, when suddenly we saw our left front wheel disappear into the distance in front of us, looking at the front hub, all four nuts were still there, the wheel had ripped off the studs. So torqueing up every trip doesn't always work.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
After the visit from the charming Irish gentleman last week, our caravan currently has only 2 wheel nuts on one wheel, and ALL wheel nuts have been well loosened. Lets see them get far like that!!
My friend down the road had a visit from another gentleman of similar extraction, knocking her door and asking if her campervan parked outside was for sale 'at the right price'!! Thankfully she's away in it this weekend! :angry:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That another reason I like my van stored away from home, when We do have it on the drive , we have hitch lock, Alko wheel lock and another wheel lock on the right hand side. DC, We live in Bucks, and have told my friends that have their vans at home about this.
Thanks. Hutch.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Ours is usually in storage away from home, but its going out again in a fortnight, and has some fixes needed, which is why its at home with many locks on it. Interestingly a friend has a brother in Bucks, with a van, who tells me this MO is very common there. They come and check it out, then undo the locks but leave them so they look ok, then come and move the van a few days later. :angry:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully the Alko wheel locks cant be picked to easily, our hitch lock has the same type of key, A friend of ours had a whee clamp type lock cut off, the security post cut through as well and a chain around the tow hitch and away. Caught on CCTv. Insurance paid out within two weeks and a new van. Maybe not such a bad thing in the long run.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
One way in and one way out off our cul de sac and neighbours know the van , when ours at home on drive its hitch locked , wheel clamped and we've always got 1off 2 cars up against it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts