Scam warning NI number!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday on our home phone got a message to say that my NI number was going to be suspended due to some irregularities. Today I got the same message on my mobile phone. In both cases they tell you to press "1" to speak to an adviser who then asks you to confirm your NI number and result is identify theft.

Be careful as this is an old scam that has been resurrected.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up.

There's hardly a week or even a day that goes by without some data breach at an on line company. Just a couple of days ago the company behind Lastpass, which is a Password Manager program, got hacked and various data items got accessed.

You can check here https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your email or phone number has been compromised.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I use BITDEFENDER which lets me know if details have been breached onto the web and dark web. So far only my routine non important email address has been compromised for which I changed password. My other two email addresses have had no problems.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up.

There's hardly a week or even a day that goes by without some data breach at an on line company. Just a couple of days ago the company behind Lastpass, which is a Password Manager program, got hacked and various data items got accessed.

You can check here https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your email or phone number has been compromised.
Hi Sam just check my email address or phone it says good news -no pwned found (y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They wouldn't get my NI number,
I dont know it..................only had it 61 years!!
It is on most documentation you get from government departments. I don't know mine off the top of my head as it is bad enough remembering passwords, our cell phone numbers etc. :D

Reactions: Gagakev
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They wouldn't get my NI number,
I dont know it..................only had it 61 years!!
It’s on my various pension statements and my self assessment tax returns, and I can remember it as it’s used quite a bit. The one you must never forget is your date of birth. Otherwise any NHS treatment could stop dead, as they are always asking for it. 😂

My father used to get very irritated at the constant asking, but even at the very end at 96, and with dementia, he could recite his DOB.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have a lousy memory but have always remembered my NI number, along with our first telephone number from about 1958 (Stoneycroft 8024), and my mother's Coop divi number 91243.

This serves no purpose at all.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The only time I've remembered my NI number, and driving licence number, was while waiting for DVLA to grant my licence back after they'd withdrawn it on health grounds - I was desperate to be allowed to drive again so I went online every day to see if it had been restored - I've since forgotten both!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
It's surprising the numbers you remember, UK phone number Overseas phone number, Home and wife's phone number, NI number, Passport numbers, padlock numbers, DoB,
But who's round is next one. , Well ???
Your round Hutch.....................I didnt remember to take my wallet!!

PS, Why would you want to remember the wife's phone number, beyond me that one ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Anything that is a recorded message and asks you to press 1 so you pay for the call is a scam. No government department or reputable firm uses recorded messages either, so I let them run to waste a bit of their time and then put a stop on the number although that is not that good as they use numerous ones.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Anything that is a recorded message and asks you to press 1 so you pay for the call is a scam. No government department or reputable firm uses recorded messages either, so I let them run to waste a bit of their time and then put a stop on the number although that is not that good as they use numerous ones.
In our case it was a pre-recorded message and not a person speaking is unlikely to be wasting anyone's time?

I agree that a government department will not phone you out of the blue on any serious matter as they normally do it by letter anyway.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Best value might be the Runcorn ferry.
(We used to live there, but they had a road brige then).

"tuppence per person per trip"

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts