Schoolboy error awning rail protector

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Don't know if these things are any good or not but we have them were at Eye kettleby at the mo,south field and it's blowing hard. We took the swing down as we knew we'd worry and hate any flapping at night but we still had flutterings and flappings. Checked all the blinds open and closed to see if we maybe had a draft but no difference.Thought it must be the solar panel or aerial wires. Then suddenly realised. The plastic beading awning rail protector. Took it out and hey presto a good night's sleep!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We live and learn; have you a solution for the van being bodily knocked about? We had that earlier in the season and that leads to a very broken sleep.
Put the Disco close alongside, but only a partial solution; going home based on the forecast would have been the sensible option.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We fine now it's pretty stable on the ep feet but last time we did park in front of it as a shield and do have that option if it gets worse.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the wind is really bad the best thing if you can manage it is to turn the caravan so that the front faces the prevailing wind. This reduces the surface area being struck by the wind and will be far more comfortable. Even angling the caravan so more of the front faces into the wind should help. I accept that this is not always possible, and in those cases putting the car between the side and the wind is the best option. If there is room on the site you could ask if you could move to a more sheltered pitch.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If the wind is really bad the best thing if you can manage it is to turn the caravan so that the front faces the prevailing wind. This reduces the surface area being struck by the wind and will be far more comfortable. Even angling the caravan so more of the front faces into the wind should help. I accept that this is not always possible, and in those cases putting the car between the side and the wind is the best option. If there is room on the site you could ask if you could move to a more sheltered pitch.
We did that at out last site a year ago the site owners warned us there is gale force winds expected turn the caravan facing the wind it made such a difference but this year the van was already facing that way , :)

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We've never experienced the need to do that and caravan all year round . Wouldn't want to be under trees though! We're of the no bad weather just badly prepared clan but I wouldn't want to be in the lakes at the mo.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We would drop the awning if the weather forecast looked too bad, but never moved the caravan, although at times it could feel as if you were at sea.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some years back we was on a site facing out to the sea there was a caravanner next to me he had put chains on his legs of his van . he said i have a spare set you might need them at the time we had a Piper 1000 caravan he was right we took him up on his offer borrow them until we went home as a thankyou we brought a bottle of wine .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some years back we was on a site facing out to the sea there was a caravanner next to me he had put chains on his legs of his van . he said i have a spare set you might need them at the time we had a Piper 1000 caravan he was right we took him up on his offer borrow them until we went home as a thankyou we brought a bottle of wine .
What were the chains attached to?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I have to say another plug here for EP levelling-they don't advertise it enough but it makes the van far , far more stable when sited than any caravan we've ever had.two centre rams plus four heavy duty feet. The nosewheel is off the ground on this site due the slope! But it's rock steady in the wind blasting right at the side of the van.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have to say another plug here for EP levelling-they don't advertise it enough but it makes the van far , far more stable when sited than any caravan we've ever had.two centre rams plus four heavy duty feet. The nosewheel is off the ground on this site due the slope! But it's rock steady in the wind blasting right at the side of the van.
I would take a fair amount of wind to move a 2000kg caravan with the steadies locked down plus rams, however only about a year ago a static nearly got blown over a cliff top. I recall that not so long ago in 2018 a caravan was blown over a cliff and the lady inside was killed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts