Scotland Sites

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're off to eastern Scotland next week and we are looking for some site suggestions. Our preference is for CL type sites with ehu. A big plus point would be a pub within walking distance, not essential cos we've got the bikes
smiley-smile.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Eastern Scotland is a big place. Any particular bit? We went to Craigallachie C&CC site last year. This is east to middle. Nice site for the whisky trail. Not within an easy walk of a pub though and up a very long steep hill, so not great unless you are of tour de france capability on a bike. Not far from Aberlour. I'm told Aberlour ?gardens is a nice site too.
We stopped overnight at the caravan site at J38 of the M6; Westmoreland. This was very handy. I hear that the Keswick CC site is also good for a stopover.
mel

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Two sites come to mind Clive.
Both are above Inverness and the first is the CC site at Dalchalm near Brora. A path from the site crosses the municipal golf links (where you can play) and leads on to a sandy beach which is miles long. Just watch out for the Arctic Terns who nest above the shoreline. You wont miss them because if you get too close you'll get dive bombed.
Brora is within cycling distance where they have a Co-op and pub etc.
Nice drives around where it's easy to spot thousands of red deer and the occasional eagle. Glen Loth and Strath Brora are two nice drives. From Brora you could always catch the train to Wick or Thurso. Just north is the small fishing port of Helmsdale where the local chippy does excellent grub. Ask for a fish and chip supper even if it is midday
smiley-smile.gif
We usually sit and eat them overlooking the harbour and some friends last year said they were watching a seal which had come into the harbour.

The second is a C&CC site on the Black Isle called Rosemarkie, again just the other side of Inverness. There is a pub which does meals within sight of the site. Again you are next to a long sandy beach and if you walk down to Chanonry Point, which is a spit of land that juts into the Moray Firth, you may spot the dolphins on an incoming tide. Inverness is a nice small city if the boss likes a bit of shopping.

I recommend both sites. We've been to Brora twice and wouldn't hesitate to go again if in the area or Rosemarkie come to that.

We usually use the CC site at Englethwaite Hall near Carlisle as a stopover which is only a few miles off the M6. Just further south we have used Low Park Wood, near Kendal, as a stopover which again is only a few miles off the M6.

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
We've just got back from Rosemarkie and had the best Scotland holiday ever! The wonderful weather played a part though. We will definitely go back to the Rosemarkie site asap!! Brora wasn't so good for us a couple of years ago but we had really bad weather so it shows that the weather makes a massive difference to people's opinions and no-one can predict what it will be like!
We saw 2 dolphins on the first two evenings then nothing after that.

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Clive,
I cannot give you any CL recommendations as we don't use them but I would point you in the direction a few good sites...
  • Look at CC's site at Yellowcraig near Direlton,east of Edinburgh. The Castle is a nice pub with good food. Prior booking recommended for summer weekends. It's a little bit of a walk but no real gradients.
  • Also the CC site at Markinch in Fife, near Glenrothes. There are a couple of pubs a short walk but the Laurel Bank has the best 'ambience' and the food was good. The railway station is also close enough to the site to walk to for a day trip into Edinburgh.
  • The CC site in Banchory is within walking distance of several pubs/ eateries but I cannot vouch for any as we normally meet up with family in Aberdeen when staying on this site.
  • Lastly the CC site at Granton-on-spey is also within walking distance of a selection of pubs and eateries.
The driving distances between Yellowcraigs/ Banchory/ Granton-on-spey are fairly reasonable too for a tour up the East Coast of Scotland.
Like you we find a decent pub, with good food, that is family (under 5's) friendly within walking distance is a big plus point for any site :)
Recommendations gratefully accepted!
Regards
Colin

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We stopped at Linwater caravan park at East Calder just outside Edinburgh. Absolutely fantastic family run park. Small 4 van paddocks nice and lavel. Jean the owner is a superb person. She realy keeps everything first class. When we went there in 2004, she took the trouble to pitch all 4 of our vans together and because one van was being used by our disabled parents, she sited us next to the toilet block. Jean is a mine of information on how and where to go around the area and readily rings ahead for you to book tickets etc if required.
Edinburgh airport was about a mile away but even being that close there was no decernable noise intrussion on the site.

You can find her on the site finder.

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
Oklahoma said:
We've just got back from Rosemarkie and had the best Scotland holiday ever! The wonderful weather played a part though. We will definitely go back to the Rosemarkie site asap!! Brora wasn't so good for us a couple of years ago but we had really bad weather so it shows that the weather makes a massive difference to people's opinions and no-one can predict what it will be like!
We saw 2 dolphins on the first two evenings then nothing after that.
I would also like to add that the wardens at Rosemarkie are extremely helpful and friendly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts