Screw in rock pegs from Aldi

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Whilst doing some shopping at Aldi this morning,I noticed these screw in rock pegs for sale.
£7.99 for 15 pegs including the socket to go in drill and a peg puller.
The box was sealed so couldnt take a closer look at them but thought they should be ok.
However,Ive got them home and took one out to have a look.
The plastic "hook bit"at the top doesnt spin freely when turning the screw thread.
Surely this will spin when drilling them into the ground?.
I thought that I would be able to screw into the ground until the last inch or so,then hook onto the rubber"ladder" and then screw down slightly ro required depth.

Maybe im wrong having never used screw in pegs before.
Any help please

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I've used them for the past two years. What I use are 8" long nickel plated coach screws with a 2" washer bought off ebay. I have them in the ground for four months during the winters. I expected them to show signs of rusting when they came out, but they were still nice and bright. You're right, I can imagine that hook spinning as it's screwed in, and catching hold of the rubber strap.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thats a good idea Jaydug.
I would imagine the ones I have may be ok for things like screwing down almost to ground level and then maybe hooking your storm straps over the plastic bits.
Thanks

Jan 3, 2020
Visit site
I know it’s a bit late, I brought a couple of boxes of these too and was initially disappointed with them. Before we went away last I sat and clamped each one in an adjustable spanner (vice would be better) and loosened the heads off. A couple needed a drop of wd40 to help. They worked a treat on our last trip!

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Be very careful using them when the hook part is very stiff on the peg. Some while ago a chap sustained a significant finger injury when the spinning hook became entangled with ladder type fixing on his awning. I almost had the same accident myself. Have to say I found them very difficult to use as they get deflected by larger stones in the hard standing.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I smash them in with a 2KG Club Hammer, then wind them out with a power drill

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Fair does - but the point of screw in types is that they should require less effort. Abandoned mine now and gone back to conventional rock pegs which are lighter too

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts