SEAT TOLEDO 2.0Tdi DSG

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
SEAT TOLEDO 2.0Tdi DSG (140bhp):

We have now had our car for 8 weeks and thought it might be worth mentioning what we think of it so far in case anyone is considering getting one.

We bought it new and had the dealer fit a tow bar.

The handbook mentions a "running in" period of 1000Km so we did as advised. There are now 2300 miles on the clock.

The engine pulls smoothly and certainly has plenty of torque. It is also quick when you want/need it to be. I suppose this is to be expected as it is the same engine as used in the VW, Audi, Skoda and SEAT.

The gearbox is VERY smooth in full auto mode and you hardly notice as the 6 speed box changes gear. The Sports Mode (in auto) just holds each gear until higher in the rev range.

Putting it into the "Manual" DSG mode allows you to select gears sequentially which can be useful at times. Although I have not yet felt that I "needed" to use it I have selected it a couple of times on twisty roads in order to hold a gear and allow more engine breaking, it did not disappoint.

Fuel consumption is (in full auto mode):

36mpg average (mixed stop/start town and dual carriageway).

38mpg on motorway at a steady 80mph with cruise control on.

42mpg on decent "A" roads.

Have only towed twice, both short journeys of about 35 miles on decent "A" roads (getting van home from dealer then to storage) so I cant really give an accurate fuel consumption figure.

Our caravan is a Lunar Solar 524 which made no noticeable difference to the pulling power of the car. Never needed to switch the gearbox from fully auto to DSG manual.

On the 2 short journeys it returned 28mpg but I think that will improve as my towing experience does (I am a novice) and on a longer run.

I will update this thread once we have done a longer run towing so we have a better idea of fuel consumption.

The car has an excellent level of equipment/trim and is very comfortable. There is plenty of stowage space inside and the boot is HUGE.

The only small criticism we have, and it is a small one, is that the A pillars can obscure some view when turning BUT it is a minor niggle and is easily overcome by moving your head lol.

All in all we feel that it is an excellent car and would certainly recommend it.

Steve

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Just an update:

Have just completed our first tow in the SEAT.

200 miles mostly motorway on the M6. Cruise control set at 55mph and it only dropped from 6th to 5th twice. Fuel consumption was 29mpg which I am happy with.

Steve

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Meister,

Sounds like a nice car, and I bet you're pleased with it.

Over on our Eriba Forum, the VW group cars are rightly popular and there's been quite a lot of discussion between people - like Chris (Forum Admin) who recently bought an Audi A4 with the 170 PS TDI engine, trading in an earlier A4 with the 140 PS TDI engine - and now wishes that he'd kept with the 140 PS engine.

Robert

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
We also have the 2.0 140 bhp dsg, now at 22000 miles the average consumption is 42 mpg of which 8000 miles have been towing 1350 klg.From Hasting to Cumbernauld solo cruise control set at 70mph we done 50 mpg.We are more than happy.

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
we have the Seat Altea , a diesel auto in the Sports trim . I understand the engines have been modified since we got ours .

Ours is a great wee towcar - has never let us down and has now had 2+ years of 2 trips a year to France , each one lasting for 6 weeks with a lot of towing [ down to the Pyrenees and in the Autumn trips it has been to spain and Portugal ]

We like it

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
VW Passat 2.0 TDI 170bhp with DSG box.

Awesome car solo, quick car towing (even with 1400kgs in tow).

Just returned from the Alsace and sat quite happily at 70mph on the Belgian/French motorways.

Usually get 45mpg solo, 25mpg towing.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Meister,

Sounds like a nice car, and I bet you're pleased with it.

Over on our Eriba Forum, the VW group cars are rightly popular and there's been quite a lot of discussion between people - like Chris (Forum Admin) who recently bought an Audi A4 with the 170 PS TDI engine, trading in an earlier A4 with the 140 PS TDI engine - and now wishes that he'd kept with the 140 PS engine.

Robert
I wonder why? I have the 170bhp unit in my Skoda Octavia vRS Estate and it is a cracker. Tows extremely well. Couldn't be happier.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Just done another trip. A 300 mile tow during which the car has returned 32mpg ...... I am very pleased. I dont think you can ask more from an auto gearbox and I feel anything over 30mpg towing must be good ..... or am I wrong ??

Steve

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi

What weight caravan do you tow with your Toledo?

What is the nose weight of the car?

Thanks for your replys.

Cheers for now

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
We tow a Lunar Solar 524 which weighs about 1260.

I really do think that the car would tow a much heavier van with no trouble. Cant remember the maximum allowed by SEAT but I think it is 1400Kg

Maximum permissible nose weight for the tow bar is 75Kg. The car is also rated as 75Kg.

Steve

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Meister

Thanks for your reply.

I've got a van with 1338kg fully loaded. So it looks like the Toledo may be going on my list of possible cars.

Cheers for now

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
VERNON, thats certainly something to look forward to, especially with the way fuel prices are going.

JULIAN, if it helps .... I took my car to a local weigh bridge to get an accurate kerb weight which was 1580Kgs.

If I stick to the 85% guideline that gives me a 'van weighing up to 1343Kgs BUT as I said earlier, I think SEAT allow quite a bit more.

I would thoroughly recommend you have a look at the current Toledo, especially the 2.0Tdi 140bhp engine with the 6 speed DSG gearbox.

Another option is the SEAT Altea which is basically the same but not as heavy.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts