Second hand diesel automatic estate

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
I am looking for a new tow car as the car I currently own is leased through Motability. It is a Mazda 6 automatic petrol. As the title says I am looking for a new car which would be an automatic diesel estate.

I don't want a 4 x 4 as they are too high for me to get into as I am wheelchair dependent. I know the X-Trail is low and I can get into one of them but I don't want to pay the high road tax for this kind of vehicle.

I am looking at the following:

Ford Mondeo

Volkswagen Passat

Volvo V70

All are available but the Mondeo is hard to get as it looks like everyone wants one.

I have heard good and bad reports about the DSG gearbox in the Passat so I am a bit unsure about that.

I have not heard any reports about the Volvo but I am sure there is someone out there with one who could shed some light on this for me.

The car will be second hand and be a maximum of five years old so any information on any of these cars would be gratefully appreciated. I am looking to change in April or May so as much information as I can get would be a massive help.

I know it is a lot to ask but all information is helpful.

Many thanks

Dougy

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks Parksy, interesting reading. I still have the same dilemma though as I am still not sure which to do for.

Thanks again

Dougy

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
From what i have read.

I would go for the Mondeo.

VW is no longer the mark it was, i know people who have had VW for years who are now disenchanted with the mark.

Mondeo usually wins all group tests as the best to drive.

Have you considered the hatchback, much more about and still a very big boot.

My neighbour has one in a grey colour, and it looks realy good, on a 07 plate.

Estates are fewer in number, and so more expensive?

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ray

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I really need an estate car as if there is anyone with me they can put my wheelchair in the boot without taking the wheels off. I also do a lot of sea angling and I carry lots of equipment with me so I really need the space.

You comments are appreciated though. It is just a matter of trying to find a decent car now and the phrase 'hens teeth' come to mind.

Thanks

Dougy

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clockwork

I agree totally about BMW's and my mate offered me a 530D M-Tech for a great price but the insurance group was 17 so this put me off. This is another thing that I am coming up against. I have looked at a number of Mercedes and BMW's but the insurance is astronomical hence my look for some of the others I mentioned in my original post.

Thanks for the info though, much appreciated

Dougy

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
If you've not already tried them, try talking to BMW or Mercedes own brand insurers, Tesco, Frizells and some others can come up with some remarkable deals.

I could be worth making a number of calls as I pay less than 1/2 of what some insurers wanted for my BMW. I insure it with Mercedes owners insurance as it was less than the very good quote from BMW. I had a Merc before and they wanted to keep my business so under cut BMW.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dougy

Why must it be second hand?

My aunt is disabled and always gets a new car, they pay for all her servicing, road tax etc. She only has to fill it with fuel.

If you have to pay for servicing and repairs then it has to be the Mondeo.

If Motability are paying then it must be a very close match between the Volvo and Ford.

Good luck.

Cheers

Alan

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Raymond

I should have read your comment first before answering Ray but the car I have at the moment is a Mazda 6 estate and due to the mileage I do with towing and with work I would rather have a diesel as it seems more cost effective.

Thank you

Dougy

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
doughy, is the lease on your mob car up?.

if so what advanced payment did you make?.

what is the weight of your current van?.

has it got to be diesel?.

has it got to be auto?.

thanks

jo-anne

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Dougy

If you goole "ved for cars" you will get three different sites with different rates at times.

But as far as i can work out, my 2004 2.2dci is group "f" inthe old ratings and group "j" in the new.

i have last dec paid

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
dougy, there is other options that you may not know about with mobility.

also why will you be paying for car tax if you buy your own car?.you proberbly dont know but you have a blue badge you fill a special form out at the post office and take it to one of several dvla offices or post it your car gets registered as a disabled persons car and you pay no car tax.

jo-anne

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks

The car I currently have is leased through the Motability scheme and therefore my road tax is paid for. It is a Mazda 6 estate petrol and I paid an initial payment of

Dec 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi dougy

I am surprised that you have difficulty locating a Mondeo Estate, I have been on 3 websites and found 125 on one, 65 on another, and 200 on the last. I have a mondeo Estate and I used ford direct to locate it, the advantage with ford direct is that if you locate a car your local dealer can get it for you no matter where in the country it is located.

Hope this helps

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jo-Anne

I want to change the car anyway as the fuel cost towing are pretty high. I did know that I can lease it for another two years but I would rather get a diesel auto.

On a Motability car I do not pay for the road tax or the hand controls get fitted free of charge as well. It is always a problem when I change car but I would rather change to a car that I want rather than stick with one I am not happy with. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice car but the fuel costs are really heavy when towing so I would rather get something more suitable.

My wife does not really want to use a a car with hand controls either as we have had two automatics with hand controls previously but at the end of the day I need to get something suitable for us both. I will keep you posted.

Alb, you are right about Mondeo Estates, there are hundreds but I need or want a diesel automatic. Do a search for that kind of vehicle and give me your results, they will not be close to what you are saying.

Cheers

Dougy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts