Second Hand van prices

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
OH was watching something boring onTV so I was perusing the caravan market on t’internet, like you do. Anyway I found the same van as we have ( Xplore 302 2013) except it was advertised as a 2016 ( can only assume it was a typo as Elddis stopped making them in 2013 and the library pictures were of the 2013 model). This was at a dealership that I won’t name.
Ours has the SE pack, a motor mover, and the Winterhoff version of ATC. This one didn’t.
We paid £8k for ours at the back end of 2018. This was about the going rate at the time.
This one was advertised for……wait for it…… £13,500 😲
Either someone is having a laugh or I should get mine on the market right now.
Mel

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OH was watching something boring onTV so I was perusing the caravan market on t’internet, like you do. Anyway I found the same van as we have ( Xplore 302 2013) except it was advertised as a 2016 ( can only assume it was a typo as Elddis stopped making them in 2013 and the library pictures were of the 2013 model). This was at a dealership that I won’t name.
Ours has the SE pack, a motor mover, and the Winterhoff version of ATC. This one didn’t.
We paid £8k for ours at the back end of 2018. This was about the going rate at the time.
This one was advertised for……wait for it…… £13,500 😲
Either someone is having a laugh or I should get mine on the market right now.
Mel
For £4K more you can get a nice 2017/18 Knaus Starclass 480. But I know some members don’t like them as being too dark inside.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Amazing Mel!
I think the bubble is about to burst over the next six months.
Realistically who buys a caravan at the end of the season? Unless it’s a bargain😜😜.
Nine months ago Springer Spaniels we’re going for £2500. I have seen quite a few adverts in recent weeks for £1000. Far more realistic. Sadly the dogs homes are already filling up😥😥

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Amazing Mel!
I think the bubble is about to burst over the next six months.
Realistically who buys a caravan at the end of the season? Unless it’s a bargain😜😜.
Nine months ago Springer Spaniels we’re going for £2500. I have seen quite a few adverts in recent weeks for £1000. Far more realistic. Sadly the dogs homes are already filling up😥😥

it’s called Covid FOMO tax and when they all return to Benidorm hopefully the site prices will reduce as well as it’s got silly as the FOMO will pay it -look up FOMO if you don’t know what one is -

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
For £4K more you can get a nice 2017/18 Knaus Starclass 480. But I know some members don’t like them as being too dark inside.
Is that the Exeter dealer? Noticed it today but did not like the massive dome on the roof. Sorry for the thread drift Mel.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks very high with the wrong manufacturing date. If a dealer can get it that wrong I would avoid them. I do think the bubble might burst soon as I cannot see many looking for a caravan as Winter approaches.

Oct 20, 2021
Visit site
Well we have just bought our 2010 swift challenger a few weeks ago for £6K knowing it will be going in to storage for the winter, just had it serviced, but we think we have a bargain for next year.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i know someone just brought a 2016 Swift Celebration 510 4 berth for £16k from a caravan dealer he put some extras in like a mover but so far very happy

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Absolutely car prices of used cars have gone up - again covid tax - this is the worst time to buy a car or caravan as the prices will contract considerably in due course - if you can sell and hang onto your money then you are in a good place - interest rates will be going up shortly and watch the prices tumble - so anything being sold now will be worth double digit less next year - add caravan FOMO brigade going back to Benidorm and see prices of caravans crashing - along with the greedy site owners dropping prices back

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely car prices of used cars have gone up - again covid tax - this is the worst time to buy a car or caravan as the prices will contract considerably in due course - if you can sell and hang onto your money then you are in a good place - interest rates will be going up shortly and watch the prices tumble - so anything being sold now will be worth double digit less next year - add caravan FOMO brigade going back to Benidorm and see prices of caravans crashing - along with the greedy site owners dropping prices back
Yes interest rate rises are predicted to rise, with Bank Rate at 1% by the end of 2022. A far cry from the rates of 16-17% when we had to buy a house in the early 1980s, or inflation romping along at 25% +. But I guess if anyone has bought with a mortgage at 2-3% a rise to 4-6% still stings a lot.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
I'm wondering if the bubble may have peaked, the number of under 1 year old caravans being sold on the Eldis and Compass fb forums is huge, most with all gear included , so presumably people tried it for one summer and didn't like it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering if the bubble may have peaked, the number of under 1 year old caravans being sold on the Eldis and Compass fb forums is huge, most with all gear included , so presumably people tried it for one summer and didn't like it.

And thank god for it, maybe we can look forward to some normality.

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site

as I predicted now Benidorm is back on the caravan and it’s storage costs are surplus - also all the free money that was thrown around has dried up. If you bought a caravan in the last 18 months you need to sell quickly else you will lose an awful lot - if you sold at the peak and kept your money you are in for a real treat in the next few months - now that the USA is back open prices will fall through the roof - great news ! However also expect all the ones that were sold at silly prices that were 20 years old to be abandoned in lay byes - mark my words - caravans - dogs - Bikes - stupid man sheds - all will be up for sale- in the case of dogs the FOMO is already abandoning them

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s an interesting observation as a few have been predicting that there will be a rise in the number of sales as the “ novelty” of caravanning wears off. A less than idyllic summer and the real costs, challenges and responsibilities being recognised and Mum deciding this really isn’t the holiday portrayed in the magazines. We’ve always enjoyed caravanning and being outdoors, but admittedly it isn’t for all. Saying that we also do like to get away to the sun too.

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
That’s an interesting observation as a few have been predicting that there will be a rise in the number of sales as the “ novelty” of caravanning wears off. A less than idyllic summer and the real costs, challenges and responsibilities being recognised and Mum deciding this really isn’t the holiday portrayed in the magazines. We’ve always enjoyed caravanning and being outdoors, but admittedly it isn’t for all. Saying that we also do like to get away to the sun too.

Thats fair enough, the amount people have disrupted the caravan scene is ridiculous - I like the sun as well and go on cruises - but going to wait a couple of years as they have gone up silly money . I am looking at picking up a fairly new caravan privately for a bargain price in the new year ! I fancy a new crusader 🙏

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats fair enough, the amount people have disrupted the caravan scene is ridiculous - I like the sun as well and go on cruises - but going to wait a couple of years as they have gone up silly money . I am looking at picking up a fairly new caravan privately for a bargain price in the new year ! I fancy a new crusader 🙏
Cruise prices still represent excellent value compared to UK holidays where accommodation is provided. My cousin likes breaks in Edinburgh and the Balmoral hotel where he stays at has doubled its room rates for mid January compared to pre pandemic. Dread to think what the rates would be for Burns Night.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts