Second Lockdown 😥😥😥😥😥😥😥

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ok ! No politics on here. However with no names or references I see from the Daily Telegraph two specific factions in our society have lead to the current mess. I accept those geographic areas rife with Covid should lock down for four weeks. But those relatively clean areas get dragged in . Scotland and Wales prove the point. Outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh Covid is not a problem.
Why do the majority have to lockdown because the minority have ignored all the sensible advice🤬🤬🤬🤬

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The infection rate is higher now than at the start of the March lockdown - clear evidence that it's not just a minority that's ignoring advice - while the R-rate varies across the UK, nowhere in England is under 1.0 which is where it needs to be.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i been watching the news since 4,pm (Second National Lockdown for England)
i thought Prime minister going come on at 5pm that been delayed now they say 6.30pm
They say from Thursday for 4 weeks ( but until prime minister confirm it) then we will know if it is correct .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The infection rate is higher now than at the start of the March lockdown - clear evidence that it's not just a minority that's ignoring advice - while the R-rate varies across the UK, nowhere in England is under 1.0 which is where it needs to be.
But which geographic areas? March figures do not correlate with today’s because the testing regime and reporting system is different???

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have just learnt how to defeat the virus, It’s all on Facebook. One of my granddaughters made a corona virus shaped piñata. the great grandchildren then attacked it dressed in Halloween costumes. All to music. On completion the boy (5) said “that’s the stupid corona virus done for”.

Sorted.

Still waiting to see Boris. Getting fed up with the news repeating its own repeats. Not playing the pandemic down. Just the news coverage.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
it has now been confirmed from the Prime Minister (Boris)
Second National Lockdown ....
Thurs 5th Nov - 2nd December Wednesday 2020

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Aha, we can all go out with a real bang on Thursday 💥💥💥💥💥💥
I find the predictions that even in the SW hospital capacity including Nightingale will be maxed out within 2 weeks and then elective operations cut right back. But where 1in 6 cases have been caught in hospital I think I’d be willing to forego the procedure.
We are still in Norfolk and rather than drive back tomorrow in 43-45mph winds are considering staying until Easter and buying a discounted Norfolk Bronze for Christmas 😂😂

PS time now for a beer and Ireland v France

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
So it may be - its 2.86 in London!!!

Dan Walker did a news item on the 6 and 10 last night from Mansfield, Notts. He interviewed a local (NOT waring a mask) who said he had wanted to place a bet but the local bookies under Tier3 were closed. What did he do? He drove a few miles into Derbyshire (probably Chesterfield - Tier2) and did his betting plus had a pint whilst there, then drove back. If this happens under selective lockdown there is only one way to stop it and that is make everywhere lockdown. Its always the idiots that spoil it for everyone else.

The other thing that annoys me is the persistent use of 'Yorkshire and the Humber.' North Yorkshire is by far the biggest single component of Yorkshire and bar York is all Tier 1. West and South Yorks are both Tier3, and Hull and the E Riding will likely go Tier3 in the next week. The media are all talking about the Tier 3 areas but never discount N Yorks under that banner.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We all should have taken responsibility to limit the spread of the virus, Unfortunately we all have to suffer the consequences of the selfish few who simple haven't cared about how their actions will affect others.

I am disappointed with the Prime Ministers action of delaying the implementation of the new restrictions, it will be a charter for those to party irresponsibly like mad before the 5th Nov.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Earlier today
BORIS “I’ll make my announcement at 4”
”but Boris the Wales -Scotland rugby is on at 4”

Boris “ah yes .....make it 5”
”But Boris ......the England - Italy game is on then”

Boris “bother.....make it 6.30...and I’ll squeeze it in before Strictly”

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully agree Prof. One of the two main factions causing the spread has been encouraged to continue as before, Students🤬Political Correctness does not permit me to name the second. Our Doctors surgery and our local Red Lion are harder to enter than Fort Knox. Social distancing , hand wash, masks restricted numbers. We all did our bit to be sensible but as the Prof says the few selfish ones out there have caused the latest lockdown.
I can only wish you all well, stay safe and enjoy the Forum👍👍

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
From the 31st October North Lincolnshire will go into Tier 2 that is where i am and now we go into a second national lockdown on Thursday 5th Nov .
Take Care Keep Safe Everyone

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Being in the South West, where we are all goody goodies, we will going straight into the lock down. But if that’s what is necessary, so be it.

It’s easy to speak in retrospect, but I did say this before the event. Universities should not have returned. There is so much they could do on line.

During the last lock down there were loads of arguments about Schools, for and against them going back.

Now the teaching unions are calling for all levels to lock down and work on line.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly the full lockdown is justified on the figures given and i do wonder if Scotland will have to follow although we do seem to be doing better in Scotland at the moment.
What we have is advice not to enter another council area but it makes no sense for us. Basically we are on the very edge of our council area and all our shops, doctors and the rest are in another area. It makes no sense for us to travel further into our own councils area to go to the shops and we cannot avoid it if we need the doctors. We are the almost certainly an exception but that is the position for us.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
As with eveyone, I am saddened and disappointed that a second national lockdown is happening, BUT am certain it is necessary. We can deliberate that scientific advice should have been followed / that this should have happened sooner / that if this had happened restrictions might have been able to be lifted faster etc: BUT all we can do with this is deliberate: I do hope of course that true lessons have been learnt which will support the resolutions of the future. We are where we are NOW and I'm afraid this action is vital.
With regards to regional considerations, I live in Liskeard: South East Cornwall. As a county, we appear to be doing relitively okay; but our R (reproduction) rate is above 1 albeit from a slightly lower baseline - without intervention this will grow. The county has a population which includes high numbers of vulnerable people has just one acute hospital (Treliske) who's capacity without Covid is frequently stretched: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-54706796
Where I live, secondary care provision is delivered in Plymouth: a city which was on the brink of moving from tier 1 to 2. I really hope the new measures are effective. The simple advice that all people should have followed which boils down to ''doing everything as individuals that we can to avoid getting the virus and doing everything as individuals that we can to avoid infecting others'' has not been followed by far too many people. It is horrible to think of the economic hardships that will be forced upon people, but once health is sorted, ultimately the economy will improve and recover. Lives lost cannot be brought back.
Warm wishes to all, Wayne

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It would seem that both official SAGE and independent SAGE have been calling for this lockdown for several weeks because of the increasing infection rate, so once again England has locked down too late which will cause many thousands of additional deaths.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I also believe this lockdown is needed but the main reason that lockdown has had to be put in place is because far to many people of all ages are too unable to think for themselves what to do to neither spread the virus or to catch it themselves, they go along with the lockdown rules but surely people could use their own common sense, we’ve know for weeks that infection is increasing so why wait to be told, too many people cannot think for themselves, all they can only follow like sheep, as a country we can’t blame politicians the only people to blame are ourselves.

BP

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As with eveyone, I am saddened and disappointed that a second national lockdown is happening, BUT am certain it is necessary. We can deliberate that scientific advice should have been followed / that this should have happened sooner / that if this had happened restrictions might have been able to be lifted faster etc: BUT all we can do with this is deliberate: I do hope of course that true lessons have been learnt which will support the resolutions of the future. We are where we are NOW and I'm afraid this action is vital.
With regards to regional considerations, I live in Liskeard: South East Cornwall. As a county, we appear to be doing relitively okay; but our R (reproduction) rate is above 1 albeit from a slightly lower baseline - without intervention this will grow. The county has a population which includes high numbers of vulnerable people has just one acute hospital (Treliske) who's capacity without Covid is frequently stretched: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-54706796
Where I live, secondary care provision is delivered in Plymouth: a city which was on the brink of moving from tier 1 to 2. I really hope the new measures are effective. The simple advice that all people should have followed which boils down to ''doing everything as individuals that we can to avoid getting the virus and doing everything as individuals that we can to avoid infecting others'' has not been followed by far too many people. It is horrible to think of the economic hardships that will be forced upon people, but once health is sorted, ultimately the economy will improve and recover. Lives lost cannot be brought back.

Very well put in my opinion.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also believe this lockdown is needed but the main reason that lockdown has had to be put in place is because far to many people of all ages are too unable to think for themselves what to do to neither spread the virus or to catch it themselves, they go along with the lockdown rules but surely people could use their own common sense, we’ve know for weeks that infection is increasing so why wait to be told, too many people cannot think for themselves, all they can only follow like sheep, as a country we can’t blame politicians the only people to blame are ourselves.

BP
It just goes to show how flawed "common sense is

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I find the predictions that even in the SW hospital capacity including Nightingale will be maxed out within 2 weeks and then elective operations cut right back. But where 1in 6 cases have been caught in hospital I think I’d be willing to forego the procedure.
We are still in Norfolk and rather than drive back tomorrow in 43-45mph winds are considering staying until Easter and buying a discounted Norfolk Bronze for Christmas 😂😂

PS time now for a beer and Ireland v France
Unfortunately I cannot forego my procedure and will have to attend the hospital on a regular basis over the next few weeks. It is indeed very worrying for me even though hospitals take loads of precautions.
I have seen people arguing with hospital security that they don't want to or will not wear a mask! Thye then put on the mask to get past security, but then remove the mask when out of sight of security. Staff members are reluctant to challenge these mentally challenged individuals in case they become agressive!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also agree its well put.

I do believe the problem in the South West has been made worse by all the holiday makers who flocked there as soon as restrictions allowed. It may have been similar story for other popular holiday areas.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

BP
I fully agree. Where we have just returned from in Norfolk over last night a neighbouring cottage put up the following sign “ No post, no deliveries, no callers until further notice”. I assume they did this as a result of the PM announcement. But I have to ask “why”? Surely they would have been seeing the tv news, papers etc. So if they are now that concerned why didn’t they act independently and sooner?

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thats what I mean when I say how people have to wait to be told to take steps to protect themselves, my wife and I were both shielded, we made the decision when the shielding period was over that she would use it as a good time to give up working completely, she had a slight nudge by going back to work after the official shielding and seeing the steps taken to keep people safe and not liking what she saw was the final push, I have returned to working mobile with my own set of rules to keep me safe, if I don’t like a situation I cancel the job, we also started using home delivery from supermarkets back in March, we still do and we still wipe everything down with anti bac wipes, over the top but makes us feel less at risk, some small steps and some bigger steps but steps we chose and didn’t wait for Boris to tell us what to do, I get angry when you get an area that’s been told the figures are shooting up and there is going to be further restrictions so they have a massive street party as they won’t be able to go to the pub, makes sense, I’ll go and get trashed at a pub or a party with all the people who are probably infected, there sure are some idiots in this world.

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife got no choice she still working as a nurse helping now through the second national lockdown only thing she worries about me because i am in the vulnerable group. ..
My son is in 14 days isolation because where his wife works someone has Covid .
But a good friend of the family has to keep checking on me to see if i am alright but does not come in just gives me a text .
Lucky we have Asda home delivery since March they bring the food and everything gets wipe we also have anti bac wipes .
I am at doctor on Wednesday for my regular 12 week injection got to ring up on the day to make appointment .
Take Care Keep Safe Everyone ..

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts