Security - Hitch Posts

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Morning All,

For various reasons our caravan will be stored at a local farm/house 5 minutes down the road to us. I am going to purchase to Alko wheel locks. I have looked at the Security Posts, but for some reason i have premonitions about going to hitch the van up and not being able to get it unhitched off the secrutiy post!!!

Does anyone use the hitch post as a security device?

Thanks

Rob.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I am not sure what type of 'hitch post' you are considering. However, you may give some thought to having a 'Mule' fitted. This is an extra leg which is wound down from the inside of the caravan. When down it is almost impossible to steal your unit as it digs deep into the ground should it be moved. Fitted alonside all your other security equipment it should keep you caravan safe. A 'Mule' costs about

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I am not sure what type of 'hitch post' you are considering. However, you may give some thought to having a 'Mule' fitted. This is an extra leg which is wound down from the inside of the caravan. When down it is almost impossible to steal your unit as it digs deep into the ground should it be moved. Fitted alonside all your other security equipment it should keep you caravan safe. A 'Mule' costs about

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We store our caravan hitch first up to a garage door. I installed a removable hitch post ("Bulldog"),just in front of the door. (This also makes the garage more secure when we're away!) I have never had any greater difficulty in "unhitching" from this post than from my tow vehicle. When parking caravan, I fit my hitchlock, which makes the front end fairly secure, then put my other security post (same design, but no ball) into its socket behind the van, in the gateway. Wheelclamp goes on last, then mains cable from garage, oh, and up on axle stands for longer storage times. Don't know if that would stop a determined thief, but it might put them off a bit!

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
ROB P Hi Can I recommend a security device that I have just purcased,It is the JSBhublock http://www.jsbhublock.co.uk/indexhtml.html

I bought mine because it appeares to be the only device that was seemed almost impossible to remove (i had some tinker visitors) & am very pleased with it & feel that the van is not likely to dissapear when I'm not looking.If you give the owner a call you will find him very helpfull I did

TD

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
These posts work by dropping the upper part into a female part buried in concrete and the two then lockked together by some form of lock. Now the type I have (Bulldog) uses a locking pin , and the tolerances are such that dirt getting into the lock would make its removal difficult, given that the ground part fills with rainwater, despite the finishing cover provided.So, ok for short term, but possible limitations long term

TRENDING THREADS