Security measures for new replacement van.

Mar 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi, having had my 3 year old van stolen off the drive last year, my new van will be ready for collection soon.
I am open to suggestions and comments please as I do not want to go through this again!

I will have the manufacturers alarm with PIR and tilt, Alko wheel lock, a hitch lock and wheel clamp for the other wheel,steady locks - suggestions for makes most welcomed
I am torn with having a tracker fitted, because I am concerned for retributions if offenders caught, the damage to van to enable it to be moved from drive- costs etc
I am seriously considering CCTV to monitor the drive where the cars and van are parked, will this reduce my increased premiums for insurance? I was thinking of having motion sensored cameras to help the DVR hard drive not get too clogged up.
Any other thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated as I am starting to get paranoid this van will go the same way!!!!!!!!

Regards
Dodger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I am torn with having a tracker fitted, because I am concerned for retributions if offenders caught,

Surely you can't be serious?

Steve W

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rodger
According to the Insurers most cara van thefts seem to be from peoples homes and driveways. Have you considered a professionally secure storage compound?
That aside , no matter what you do or don't do make sure you fully comply with all the terms and conditions of the insurance policy.
I have a tracker , an insurance requirement on our TA..
My dealers have always said you don't want a recovered stolen caravan back.!!
I use the Al-ko wheel locks, hitch lock, steady locks, tracker and Alarm. It is also stored at a secure electronic entry exit site.

In the end the determined thief will always win, but make it difficult for them.
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Find a CASSOA storage site nearby. Also lowers yoru premiums. A tracker will still allow them to tow your caravan but you need to be careful which one you choose as trackers using GPS only can be jammed.

Mar 4, 2007
Visit site
My van was being watched by three various different drivers of vehicles for four days prior to it being removed.This came out after the Police done their investigations. To be fair they were very good and looked into this very thoroughly.
My daughter is a Police Officer who had been sleeping in the van only a few weeks previous due to night shifts and bathroom fitters in working!! Imagine if she was still in it when they were getting the clamps off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These were of a type of vehicle which can be seen at the roadsides, if you get my drift?

If a tracker is fitted and the offenders caught what is to say the mates could come back and do damage to house cars etc.
You may think this paranoid butI would not want the van back after it had been removed from my drive if I am honest, or am I being over paranoid?

I really would prefer not to go to a compound if possible

Dodger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Roger,
I'm no fan of the Cassoa arrangments, mainly because I beleive them to be a licence to print money whist the site takes no responsibility if thier security systems fail, but they probably do offer better security than the home driveway or garden, however they do not necesarily lower insurance premiums, you must check with your own insurer.
The trick is to make your caravan less attractive than other alternatives, so the more deterents you have probably the better, even within a storage site.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
"If a tracker is fitted and the offenders caught what is to say the mates could come back and do damage to house cars etc."

With attitudes like this, it's no wonder the crooks have got the upper hand.

I Hope to god that I never have to rely on somebody with your attitude as a witness to any crime or vandalism.
You might just as well hang out a sign "Help yourself as not prepared to defend my property"

Steve W

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
i store my van on a cossoa gold site. When comparing premiums the storage option was cheaper although there is the storage charge to pay. The extra £270 per year i pay for the storage stops me from worrying about leaving the van in the drive.
I used to keep a van on my drive but someone dod try to knick it by attatching a pressed steel hitch too the hitch lock so i ditched the hitch lock and every time i stored the van i tok the whole hitch off, which is easy if you use a blade type stabiliser. It was very inconvenient though.
I know one chap who had 2 wheel clamps ,, a hitch lock and driveway security post. It took 3 mins to nick. The thieves used angle grinders from a genny in the back of transit to grind the locks off the wheel clamps and security post. They welded a "false" hitch socket to the hitch lock underside and off they went.
Keeping the van on the drive is convenient but carries a increased risk.
Storage is very inconvenient butgives me piece of mind- apart from last year when the guy in the next bay hit my van and caused £800 worth of damage.... my van was only 6 months old from new.

As for wheel claps, most of them are a wast of money. If you want a wheel clamp get a commercial clampers version.Most types that have 3 arms that wrap behind the tyre are a joke, the thieves let the tyre down, compress it, pull of the clamp then reinflate the tyre.

Mar 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Steve w77,

Whilst I understand and agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I feel you are perhaps being a little harsh.

Perhaps you have not been in the position of having a van stolen, if you have, then perhaps you may understand some of the reservations I have concerning a tracker being fitted.
As for your comment" I hope I never have to rely on somebody with my attitude as a witness to any crime or vandalism", I have on three occasions informed the Police of vans being towed on the M25 with the mains cable attached to the socket on the van, with the remaining lead in the kitchen window, yes, I did find it strange and I did do something about it.
As for your last comment, if I had not had an alarm, wheel clamp, hitchlock fitted to the van then your comment may have had some justification, but in my opinion, I had done as much as possible to deter the theft.
What security have you got on your van may I enquire?
Hence the original question of recommendations for advice.
It seems as though your team may have lost today, still it is only a game and there are plenty of more games left this season.
Dodger

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
i`m afraid if the scum want to take it they will.I used to work on a farm about 11 yrs ago where we had about 150 vans on site no cctv but 3 access gates all alarmed to farm house the other 3 sides had 6ft ditch and 12ft conifers and 2 miles of fields to the nearest road,also a young labourer staying in a van.Then one night they stole a digger drove it 2 1/2 miles filled in the ditch pulled down 4 trees and nicked 6 vans without waking anyone,all vans had various locks on but they are pro`s at this its what they do for a livingSo do what you can to make it as difficult as pos.Good luck my friend lets hope lightning doesn`t strick twice.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I too can understand the sentiments here.

I haven't had our van stolen, but we did have two burglaries at our brass turned parts company about 14 years ago. We got turned over twice in a fortnight. First time a 6ft hole was made in the brick wall behind the toilet block which was the only non alarmed area in a 5'000 SQft factory. So they had been into the factory posing as prospective customers. Then after we fixed that and up rated the alarm system. The same gang ram raided the building with a water board lorry before taking about £30'000 of brass in the two raids.
When the insurance assessor came to the second raid, he asked what security was like at home. Apparently after fitting the next upgrade of alarm, it would be highly likely that the robbers would come after the key holder to affect entry.
Needless to say the police were more interested in my sabre soldier training and that I didn't use it in haste.
So we decided to liquidate the business.
I'm afraid that you can't stop (legally) a determined thief, but by fitting neumerous security devices you can slow them down or get them to move to easier pickings.
I'd merrily wire the van to the mains but the thief can sue you for their injuries. Theives I'm afraid have more rights and help lines than victims, just as your daughter about that one.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I use a JSB hublock on my van as having had a similer experiance to you .Though the van was not stolen as I managed to get the Hublock the following day.
addmitedly its not suitable for touring but I beleive its the best security available.I am informed that there have been no reported or attempted thefts of vans fitted with it
I have nothing to do with the company just a satisfied user.
http://www.jsbhublock.co.uk/indexhtml.html

TD

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I take what I consider all reasonable precautions as far as security is concerned. What I don't do is let thieving scum scare me into hoping I never come face to face with them. As for having my caravan stolen, then no I have not yet had that experience, but if everybody takes your attitude to crime detection, then it is surely only a matter of time.

Steve W

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi, reading through the various replies here, I would say that you must take whatever precaution tou feel to be acceptable. However, just make sure that you cover the minimum requirements of your insurer so that if it did happen again (god forbid) then you know you are still covered..................

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
steve w77 said:
"If a tracker is fitted and the offenders caught what is to say the mates could come back and do damage to house cars etc."

With attitudes like this, it's no wonder the crooks have got the upper hand.

I Hope to god that I never have to rely on somebody with your attitude as a witness to any crime or vandalism.
You might just as well hang out a sign "Help yourself as not prepared to defend my property"

Steve W

Steve, not everybody is a bar room gladaiator or even in any position to physically defend themselves or their property. The only recourse that they have open to them is to deter thieves as far as is possible using the technology currently available.
A browse through newspapers or a look at tv news media would indicate that the under resourced police 'service' can no longer be relied upon to provide much help, they might pop round a few days after the event to issue a crime number if the victim is very lucky.
The same thing applies to the protection of witnesses, intimidation of witnesses is rife and unless an attack actually takes place the police don't want to know and if a physical attack against a witness does take place the CPS (criminal protection service) won't necessarily prosecute the offenders if the police do manage to arrest the perpetrators.
The plain fact is that criminals and thieves have no fear of or respect for the law in this country and the questions about the ramifications that could result from a tracker being fitted are quite valid and reasonable.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I meant to add that my comments are not meant as a pop at police officers, the ones that I've met and spoken to would like nothing better than to be allowed to do 'proper coppering' like they did in the old days.
It's a pity that Chief Constables and Superintendents in charge of police districts don't have to stand for public election every four years though, we'd soon see a return to the basics if that happened.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If your van is to be stored on your drive for any length of time you could always remove one of the wheels and fit a winter wheel or use an axle stand, fitting locking wheel nuts to hub of the caravan, again it would slow them down, but if they want it, they will get it.

Mar 4, 2007
Visit site
I would just like to thank everyone who replied to my original post.
I thought that I had taken as many precautions as possible to prevent the theft of the van and satisfied the insurers, however I was wrong. If they want it they will get it, but the deterrent is the time involved without being seen.
The new van will have as many deterrents as possible to prevent theft again as well as keeping insurers happy.

I would not wish for any of you to have your vans stolen, it is not a nice experience.

I, like many thought it would never happen to me, how wrong was I - hey Steve, I am talking from that said experience.
The time and hassel involve is unbelieveable to say the least.
Off to the NEC to check out the best that I can find.

Thank you all again
Kind regards

Dodger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That's why I have a tracking device fitted to my caravan. I don't care who knows it or if it would be the cause of any kind of intimidation. These theiving scum have to be stood up to, no matter what the cost, because if we don't, then life will not be worth living.

Steve W

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Where I work we "rent" space to the local force so they have a "local" officer - and not have to come from the nic which is miles away.. But I digress..

I got talking to the officer, one day, about caravans and the influx "travelers" in the area. She told me that the week before she had been part of a team that went around the traveler sites - looking for stolen items...
All of the vans/wagons and cars where legal and above board - they also checked the caravans. (Now I didnt know this - but, it was what she told me) - some manufacturers chip the units and those that were chipped didnt come up as stolen. They checked every unit (chassis number/cris etc)on the site and not one of them was stolen....

They DID turn up a speedboat that HAD been nicked an hour earlier though....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts