Self propelled lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Due to age and disability OH is finding it tiring and hard to push our electric lawnmower. We did think of getting someone in on a regular basis to do the lawn every 7 - 10 days in the summer. Luckily for us our neighbour across the way has helped out.

However trying to get someone local to do the lawn is impossible. They advertise their services, you phone them and leave a message and if you are lucky they respond. They come around, give you a quote which you accept and promised to come on a certain day, put never materialise. We had one come around and he never had any tools or lawnmower, but wanted to charge the same as if he was using his equipment. We did agree, but again he never arrived and never had the decency to phone with an excuse. Being rural sometimes has its drawbacks and we do not have a large lawn as probably less 100 sq meters and level.

Anyway does anyone have any experience of using a self propelled lawn mower as we don't want to buy one only to find it is in charge of how fast you travel. I think a cordless one may be better suited, but the concern is it being laid up over the winter months and the battery going kaput! Not sure if you get electric self propelled that are not cordless. The concern with the petrol one is noise and difficulty starting it as you need to pull a cord and cannot do that! Thanks for any advice.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Had an old Honda self drive one for a while. Generally speaking it would normally start on the 2nd pull.
I know they aren't cheap but how about one of those robotic ones that you set up and leave to it? Don't know a lot about them but it couldn't hurt to make enquiries.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Due to age and disability OH is finding it tiring and hard to push our electric lawnmower. We did think of getting someone in on a regular basis to do the lawn every 7 - 10 days in the summer. Luckily for us our neighbour across the way has helped out.

However trying to get someone local to do the lawn is impossible. They advertise their services, you phone them and leave a message and if you are lucky they respond. They come around, give you a quote which you accept and promised to come on a certain day, put never materialise. We had one come around and he never had any tools or lawnmower, but wanted to charge the same as if he was using his equipment. We did agree, but again he never arrived and never had the decency to phone with an excuse. Being rural sometimes has its drawbacks and we do not have a large lawn as probably less 100 sq meters and level.

Anyway does anyone have any experience of using a self propelled lawn mower as we don't want to buy one only to find it is in charge of how fast you travel. I think a cordless one may be better suited, but the concern is it being laid up over the winter months and the battery going kaput! Not sure if you get electric self propelled that are not cordless. The concern with the petrol one is noise and difficulty starting it as you need to pull a cord and cannot do that! Thanks for any advice.

Before we got the astro turf we had a self propelled petrol mower. For a small lawn like ours it was poor as you had to change direction often. When going in a straight line it was fine. But otherwise heavy.

I think a robot one is worth thinking about.

I don't know if they do a battery self drive mower, it might be worth a look.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Our daughter bought push type 15 inch cordless to replace her heavy Mountfield petrol push mower. It’s brilliant and so light. Single control for height. I initially had doubts about its ability during spring and autumn when the grass was wet. No problem. The battery lasts a good 30 minutes over her 3 lawns which she doesn’t do as regularly as she should, and being lithium it doesn’t deteriorate like NiCad. But she just has a reminder on her phone just to plug the battery in once a month in winter but when she does it still shows full power. It is a Spear and Jackson. In its third season now and wasn’t expensive.

This is the current version.

Mower

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our daughter bought push type 15 inch cordless to replace her heavy Mountfield petrol push mower. It’s brilliant and so light. Single control for height. I initially had doubts about its ability during spring and autumn when the grass was wet. No problem. The battery lasts a good 30 minutes over her 3 lawns which she doesn’t do as regularly as she should, and being lithium it doesn’t deteriorate like NiCad. But she just has a reminder on her phone just to plug the battery in once a month in winter but when she does it still shows full power. It is a Spear and Jackson. In its third season now and wasn’t expensive.

This is the current version.

Mower
The majority of our garden tools are Spear & Jackson. Pity they do not have one that is self propelled as the one in your link looks about right? However if it is very light there may not be a need for it being self propelled. Our current corded Bosch we have had for several years with no issues.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The majority of our garden tools are Spear & Jackson. Pity they do not have one that is self propelled as the one in your link looks about right? However if it is very light there may not be a need for it being self propelled. Our current corded Bosch we have had for several years with no issues.
I guess weight is a relative term when doing a comparison. Our daughter went from petrol push Mountfield to the SJ electric which she finds it much easier to use. I have used it and find it light and manoeuvrable too. But it’s relative. Perhaps a visit to BQ and push a few of their similar ones.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Isn't it strange how the same term can mean exactly the opposite depending on where it used. It is common to describe a self propelled wheelchair as one where it's powered by the person sitting in the chair, but self propelled mowers means they power themselves without needing a human to provide the forward motion.

Just for clarity which do you mean for your mower?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Isn't it strange how the same term can mean exactly the opposite depending on where it used. It is common to describe a self propelled wheelchair as one where it's powered by the person sitting in the chair, but self propelled mowers means they power themselves without needing a human to provide the forward motion.

In the wheelchair context the human is the motor. In the mower context the electric motor or petrol engine performs the duty of the human and relieves them of the role of being a propulsion motor.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

I did mention old age and disability so assumed that the reader would assume that a lawn mower which propels itself would be ideal. Unsure about cordless and petrol lawn mowers with a starter button are rather expensive.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
The Flymo Easilife looks ideal and just gets on with it, not cheap at £600 though.
We have an older Atco with electric start, very heavy to get into the store so not ideal.

Kev

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have a rechargeable battery lawn mower that has a self propelled feature. I do find that I am fighting to hold it back at times (although I have the upper body strength of elderly celery). It also eats the battery power so have to recharge before get front and back lawns done. Not tried a petrol one.
Mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Had a Flymo petrol self propelled for over 20 years, serviced at year 5 and never again after that!! Started and worked a treat, but in my wisdom last year decided to get it serviced, could I start the damm thing after the service it was a nightmare, enough was enough.
went out and got a Mountfield, gee really light compared to the old Flymo, BUT there is no control over speed ..............I now cut the grass at twice the speed nearly running behind it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Screwfix had a special deal on a cordless Makita.. Nearly bought one until small print said charger and two batteries required , another £300+.. My old Briggs and Stratton powered mower still does the job 30 years on. G-tech have entered the cordless mower sector but I haven’t seen one in action.
Have you thought about borrowing a few lambs? They keep the grass down and apparently are partial to mint sauce🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch and Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Screwfix had a special deal on a cordless Makita.. Nearly bought one until small print said charger and two batteries required , another £300+.. My old Briggs and Stratton powered mower still does the job 30 years on. G-tech have entered the cordless mower sector but I haven’t seen one in action.
Have you thought about borrowing a few lambs? They keep the grass down and apparently are partial to mint sauce🤪
Our daughters SJ was around £120 when she bought it 3 years ago with one battery. It lasts a good 30 minutes which is enough for her three lawns. Recharges quickly. It’s surprisingly good in longer wetter grass too. I will go electric when the Alko BS gives up the ghost. No more oil changes, filter washing, plug changes, expensive petrol and stabiliser . Can clean underneath more easily too. No fuel or oil to leak. I only need 30 minutes run time for the two lawns.

Ps were the Makita batteries compatible with other makita tools?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our daughters SJ was around £120 when she bought it 3 years ago with one battery. It lasts a good 30 minutes which is enough for her three lawns. Recharges quickly. It’s surprisingly good in longer wetter grass too. I will go electric when the Alko BS gives up the ghost. No more oil changes, filter washing, plug changes, expensive petrol and stabiliser . Can clean underneath more easily too. No fuel or oil to leak. I only need 30 minutes run time for the two lawns.

Ps were the Makita batteries compatible with other makita tools?
Is the S&J deal still available? I haven’t investigated the Makita batteries. I do have a Makita drill with air cooled charger. I assumed the mower batteries 2x 6ah would be bigger than the drill

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is the S&J deal still available? I haven’t investigated the Makita batteries. I do have a Makita drill with air cooled charger. I assumed the mower batteries 2x 6ah would be bigger than the drill
Its in the link I sent to Buckman at post 4 from Argos. Gone up a few pounds but she bought hers in the autumn three years. ago.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dusty my daughter did not buy hers from Argos it was an online buy from an eBay outlet. There's a SJ 40v version too with longer run time.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dusty my daughter did not buy hers from Argos it was an online buy from an eBay outlet. There's a SJ 40v version too with longer run time.
Thanks Clive, I looked at the S&J 40 v this morning . It runs for 40 mins with a roller and 37 cm cut. Is a Which? Best Buy. Off to pick one up now. £220. Argos.The old petrol one is just a bit too heavy for us these days.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Clive, I looked at the S&J 40 v this morning . It runs for 40 mins with a roller and 37 cm cut. Is a Which? Best Buy. Off to pick one up now. £220. Argos.The old petrol one is just a bit too heavy for us these days.

Dusty,
I think that you will be pleased at how well it will do the job....hope so as I am not going to help defend a CRA 2015 claim.

I have just put a new blade on the Alko BS petrol which is now five years old. Even though I regularly clean the underneath I noticed more rust between the weld joints on the casing and its skirt. So its out with the ACF again.

This continuing trend to electric by you is worrying me! (y)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I do not think there is any need for "clarity" in the context of the question and I think the above quote is simply baiting, and should be ignored.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dusty,
I think that you will be pleased at how well it will do the job....hope so as I am not going to help defend a CRA 2015 claim.

I have just put a new blade on the Alko BS petrol which is now five years old. Even though I regularly clean the underneath I noticed more rust between the weld joints on the casing and its skirt. So its out with the ACF again.

This continuing trend to electric by you is worrying me! (y)
I knew it would be a good buy. Note the Country of Origin😜No CRA 2015 applies there😉😄
I‘ll soon be an EV private shopper. Just waiting for a Tesla call😉

Attachments

• FD0D25BB-B691-496F-88AF-01B33EF6810D.jpeg
    FD0D25BB-B691-496F-88AF-01B33EF6810D.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 8
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I knew it would be a good buy. Note the Country of Origin😜No CRA 2015 applies there😉😄
I‘ll soon be an EV private shopper. Just waiting for a Tesla call😉
I am not a big fan of Chinese goods, but this may be an exception as it is S &J. When it states Net Weight 14kg I assume that is the weight of the machine. If so, a lot lighter than our current electric mower.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am not a big fan of Chinese goods, but this may be an exception as it is S &J. When it states Net Weight 14kg I assume that is the weight of the machine. If so, a lot lighter than our current electric mower.
The 14 kg is it’s total weight. When I first used our daughters mower I thought this will not stay the course it’s too flimsy and light. But my comparison was based on owning petrol mowers since the early 1970s. Three years on and it’s still going strong.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Let me confuse us😋
Gross weight. 15.5kgs
Charger. 0. 6 kgs
Net weight 13.6 kgs
Above per S&J technical spec

Box label net weight. 14kgs
No mention anywhere of the charger weight nor the grass collection box nor the mulcher accessory.

It is very easy to use, has four wheels snd a rear roller. Tried it out and now have Wembley stripes.
The rotary blade is L.ion powered , forward and reverse motion provided by DD😜

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts