Selling on eBay

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have not used eBay to sell anything for a few year, but recently advertised 2 x tyres. A buyer and myself agreed on a price and it was cash on collection after the buyer had inspected the tyres and they would collect today. Although I have a Paypal account I do not have a bank account linked to eBay itself.
The buyer then apparently made a payment to eBay and eBay have advised that they will hold the funds until 14 Oct. I don't want to released the tyres until I have cash in hand or in my bank.

Can anyone advise if a buyer can pay eBay directly and not use Paypal and also waiting 14 days for payment to be sent to a bank account? Seems very strange to me.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I use a credit card to pay EBay directly so haven’t used PayPal for a long while. When I sold a range cooker EBay did not release the funds immediately. But I used their system as it gives more protection than a cash payment.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I use a credit card to pay EBay directly so haven’t used PayPal for a long while. When I sold a range cooker EBay did not release the funds immediately. But I used their system as it gives more protection than a cash payment.
The email I got from eBay if it was from eBay and states;

2. Funds will be available on 14 Oct. Although the buyer has paid, funds are on hold until 14 Oct, even if the item is delivered sooner. This gives the buyer time to report any issues. Learn more about payment holds.

The buyer will be inspecting the tyres on collection and prior to paying and it was the buyer that agreed cash on collection. Maybe I am being over cautious, but do not want to lose out by releasing them and never seeing the money or objecting and losing the sale.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The email I got from eBay if it was from eBay and states;

2. Funds will be available on 14 Oct. Although the buyer has paid, funds are on hold until 14 Oct, even if the item is delivered sooner. This gives the buyer time to report any issues. Learn more about payment holds.

The buyer will be inspecting the tyres on collection and prior to paying and it was the buyer that agreed cash on collection. Maybe I am being over cautious, but do not want to lose out by releasing them and never seeing the money or objecting and losing the sale.
Just get the buyer to sign as receipt for satisfactory transfer, then they cannot come back and ask for a refund. Thats what I did with the range when the buyers transport company took delivery from me. Ebay will pay you. It just ensures that in the event of a dispute the money is held on account for both parties interest.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just get the buyer to sign as receipt for satisfactory transfer, then they cannot come back and ask for a refund. Thats what I did with the range when the buyers transport company took delivery from me. Ebay will pay you. It just ensures that in the event of a dispute the money is held on account for both parties interest.
Thanks Clive for excellent advice.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
EBay used to be linked to Pay Pal, all the same company I think. They separated with regards to transactions I think because of the monopoly situation. (very unsure of the details).

I think it worked smoother when they were linked. But I find it still works fine. I have my card linked to Ebay. The security I had to go through was detailed.

I don’t sell much, but I don't remember payment being held when I did. Perhaps you need to look at the current T&C’s.

If you want the payment released, you will need to link a card to your accout, otherwise the funds will just be held by Ebay and used if you make a purchase.

Tyres are a sore point with me right now. I had my car serviced a few days ago and they found a bulge in a rear tyre. £157 for a new one.

The tyre fitters then said there was not a lot of life in the front tyres, Another £157 x2.

Been an expensive week!!!

John

• Sad
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
EBay used to be linked to Pay Pal, all the same company I think. They separated with regards to transactions I think because of the monopoly situation. (very unsure of the details).

I think it worked smoother when they were linked. But I find it still works fine. I have my card linked to Ebay. The security I had to go through was detailed.

I don’t sell much, but I don't remember payment being held when I did. Perhaps you need to look at the current T&C’s.

If you want the payment released, you will need to link a card to your accout, otherwise the funds will just be held by Ebay and used if you make a purchase.

Tyres are a sore point with me right now. I had my car serviced a few days ago and they found a bulge in a rear tyre. £157 for a new one.

The tyre fitters then said there was not a lot of life in the front tyres, Another £157 x2.

Been an expensive week!!!

John
I needed all 4 tyres changing although they were all road legal. Rear ones were down to just over 3mm and were the original tyres from 2018. The front ones one from 2019 had 7mm tread and the other from 2021 had 9mm tread.
Some vehicles do not like different tread depths on the same axle as the car then thinks it is off road and keeps adjusting the 4 wheel drive box. Older vehicles where it is manual adjustment and not electronic no issue with different tread depths.

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
I have a seldom used bank account, linked to my ebay account that way payment is seamless direct into your account. Also you can ask the buyer to bring with them the ebay transaction code , the code comes with buyers receipt its called a QR code. Proof of collection. If the transaction is carried out the way eBay want, then both parties are protected.

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Go to your eBay account you can either cancel the transaction, or refund buyer and ask them to pay cash on collection.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I suppose either would work I've used an old bank account for a while now and never had any probs
Same here and I’ve never had any problems with EBay and since they departed from PayPal I’ve hardly used PayPal

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Tried to link a bank account but get the following message;

Enter your microdeposit amounts
When you enter the deposit amounts, make sure they match the transactions in your bank account, decimals included.
These deposits will be between .01 and .99. You don't have to enter them in any particular order.

If I enter £0.50 a error message informs me that it cannot be processed and offers me the alternative of logging in to my bank account direct from eBay which means logging in with my bank login details. No way am i going down that route.

There is no way I am ever going to use eBay again to sell anything!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Tried to link a bank account but get the following message;

Enter your microdeposit amounts
When you enter the deposit amounts, make sure they match the transactions in your bank account, decimals included.
These deposits will be between .01 and .99. You don't have to enter them in any particular order.

If I enter £0.50 a error message informs me that it cannot be processed and offers me the alternative of logging in to my bank account direct from eBay which means logging in with my bank login details. No way am i going down that route.

There is no way I am ever going to use eBay again to sell anything!

As I said in #6. The security measures to link to Ebay take some doing. But that is for our own protection as well as theirs. I struggled with it, but probably because of my lack of understanding. I nearly had to fall back onto a grandchild to do it for me.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I cannot remove my bank details from eBay so have decided to close the account. I don't buy that much off eBay now anyway and this is the first time selling in several years and selling was a very unpleasant experience.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I cannot remove my bank details from eBay so have decided to close the account. I don't buy that much off eBay now anyway and this is the first time selling in several years and selling was a very unpleasant experience.
What would happen then if you were to change banks?

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Clearly there are trust issues here, ebay are simply trying to protect both parties. There are people still on ebay that are trying to scam others out of property or cash, you can report others misuse of their system and ebay will step in. I have transacted thousands through ebay uk and had no reason not to trust them. I am sure they are not trying to steal my identity or monies from my account. Ebay make their money from their extortionate fees, not from stealing people's bank details.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Clearly there are trust issues here, ebay are simply trying to protect both parties. There are people still on ebay that are trying to scam others out of property or cash, you can report others misuse of their system and ebay will step in. I have transacted thousands through ebay uk and had no reason not to trust them. I am sure they are not trying to steal my identity or monies from my account. Ebay make their money from their extortionate fees, not from stealing people's bank details.
That may be so, but I am uncomfortable that eBay have my bank details. It took 10 days to pay into my account although the buyer inspected the goods and took them away because he was happy with the goods. I had no issue using Paypal previously for selling goods.

However that is now in the past and the account is being closed after using it occasionally for buying for over 20 years. I agree that their fees are now extortionate which is another reason not to use eBay for selling.

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
I completely agree with you they have over complicated the process of selling on their site and I like many others look forward to the day when we no longer need this 10 billion dollar a year business in our daily lives. But unfortunately the internet changed a lot of things and our high streets are full of empty shops with ridiculous lease terms and sky high rents. There is a very real disconnect between people and it is affecting everything. People find themselves having discourse over things out of their control through the medium of the day. :unamused: That said, there's plenty of honest people on there and plenty of bargains to be had.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I completely agree with you they have over complicated the process of selling on their site and I like many others look forward to the day when we no longer need this 10 billion dollar a year business in our daily lives. But unfortunately the internet changed a lot of things and our high streets are full of empty shops with ridiculous lease terms and sky high rents. There is a very real disconnect between people and it is affecting everything. People find themselves having discourse over things out of their control through the medium of the day. :unamused: That said, there's plenty of honest people on there and plenty of bargains to be had.

I have tinges of regret buying from Amazon and Ebay as I would much prefer to shop for things. But over the years the availability and choice of items in shops has reduced such that I can go into a number of shops and not acquire what I wanted. For DIY I am fortunate having large business park within walking distance and there is not much that I cannot source locally from there. Major purchases I tend to shop for, but smaller ones are online and delivered. Clothes I have a set number of suppliers and these have shops in locally or good online too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts