Service due...Remove mattresses etc??

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Emptied the caravan today (completely) ready for its service next Tuesday.
Just wondering...do you also remove the mattresses(2 twin beds at rear) and seating area at the front,or leave them in situ.
I've always removed them in the past but wondering if you do the same or leave them in.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
No. Ours just got serviced with the bed made and food in the cupboards. I move stuff down to lower lockers so that jacking up doesn’t cause plates etc to fall out. Ours is done by a mobile service engineer on its seasonal pitch.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Empty the top lockers and cupboards around sink to enable better access. Also aquaroll and waste container moved out. Beds and seats in situ.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like I've been going "over the top" all these years then.

At least with everything home,we can sit down and sort through it and discard any items we don't really need.

Surprising how much "stuff"accumulates.

Plus,I can weigh everything when I re-load to check on the overall weight.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This year, I will remember to take the service book with me and get it stamped up for the last two years, get mine done on Thursday.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
This year, I will remember to take the service book with me and get it stamped up for the last two years, get mine done on Thursday.

I forgot mine this year, the service being done in storage. Cost me two stamps to send it to his home for stamping.

Years ago, the main dealer used to insist on the van being emptied, but not the mattresses.

That was a pain. I had to bring the van home, empty it, take it to the dealer, and reverse all that later. About 50 miles altogether. To make things worse, they insisted that I collect the van between 5 and 5:30. They would not work with me if that did not fit in with my work.

They no longer get my business!

John

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
What a pain that was John.

I'm lucky,storage compound is only 2 miles from my work so find it easy to pop up after work.

I start work at 5.30 and usually finish by 2pm.

Back seats down in Santa fe and a full load from floor to ceiling 🤣

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just wondering...do you also remove the mattresses(2 twin beds at rear) and seating area at the front,or leave them in situ.
I've always removed them in the past but wondering if you do the same or leave them in.
It really doesn't matter what others do. Its your service centre who may have requirements set by C19

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We only remove the stuff on the floor. As for Covid 19 apparently it has been proved that it cannot survive on a surface other than human. In addition, very few dealers will service the caravan the day you drop it off. Invariably the caravan will sit for a couple of days before they get around to it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We must be lucky, for our service I drop the van off empty about 8 am, then get phone call later in the day when it is ready to collect, we empty all our stuff out to make it easier for the technician, although he is a one man business, so is probably more flexible than larger dealers.Also happy to come to our house and do odd repairs to the van as needed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have used several different workshops to service out caravans and none have asked for it to be emptied. I do appreciate that they need access to certain areas and we leave only the essentials in. Taking out the mattresses and seating is bit over the top to me as they should not hinder the servicing.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
A friend of mine who has his caravan serviced by the dealer has to by insistence of said dealer empty the caravan before it gos in

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thats what I was thinking with the current pandemic.

The less personal belongings in the caravan,the less the technician has to touch.

Plus less chance of a greasy spanner or something finding its way onto my furnishings.(highly unlikely though I suppose).

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Thats what I was thinking with the current pandemic.

The less personal belongings in the caravan,the less the technician has to touch.

Plus less chance of a greasy spanner or something finding its way onto my furnishings.(highly unlikely though I suppose).
I think in my friends dealers case no owner can accuse them of theft

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi George and Ade Prior to taking the van for servicing, contact them to ask if they require removal of anything inside for them to complete the job.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Good idea Beachballđź‘Ť
Problem is.....I've already emptied it (apart from mattresses which I now think I will leave in there).

Its all in the conservatory where we can now sit down this week and sort through everything and try to "trim down" what we actually need or don't need.

When I re-load the car to take our belongings back to the van,I can weigh everything and keep a check on our "allowance".
I usually deduct the mover,gas bottles,alde fluid etc before I start.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good idea Beachballđź‘Ť
Problem is.....I've already emptied it (apart from mattresses which I now think I will leave in there).

Its all in the conservatory where we can now sit down this week and sort through everything and try to "trim down" what we actually need or don't need.

When I re-load the car to take our belongings back to the van,I can weigh everything and keep a check on our "allowance".
I usually deduct the mover,gas bottles,alde fluid etc before I start.
The ALDE fluid and up to 20kg for gas bottles should be included in the MIRO and are not part of the payload.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.... As for Covid 19 apparently it has been proved that it cannot survive on a surface other than human. ...
This is not true.

Just think if it were true, why do public places have to be wiped down so much. Why are we told to wash our hands so much etc...

The virus will survive on most surfaces but how long does vary. Transmission form surfaces may be low but its not zero.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This is not true.

Just think if it were true, why do public places have to be wiped down so much. Why are we told to wash our hands so much etc...

The virus will survive on most surfaces but how long does vary. Transmission form surfaces may be low but its not zero.
I am sorry I should have clarified and said cannot survive several hours or days on a surface.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts