Servicing Problem

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
A friend has a 2011 Bailey Unicorn Barcelona. He bought it second hand last year from the previous owner who had it from new. It was serviced in 2012 and 2013 by the supplying dealer in the South of England.

He now lives in France and today had the ‘van serviced by a Bailey Approved mobile engineer. He removed one of the hub nuts whilst my friend was watching and reported that the thread on the stub axle was damaged (and was now stripped) because the nut had been cross threaded when it was previously replaced and torqued up. His view was that the only solution was a new axle because it is not possible to replace only the stub axle.

Can members of the Forum advise on what action he now takes. He has emailed the dealer who previously supplied and serviced the ‘van but I suspect that they will deny all responsibility. Should he threaten legal action, bearing in mind that he has no hard evidence that no one else has attempted to dismantle the hub? If the thread is recut, then the thread will be smaller than the original and he might not be able to obtain the correct AL-Ko nut to fit. Is it possible to replace just the stub axle?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bailey use Al-Ko chassis and running gear and the stub axle IS replaceable.
It is a relatively simple job of undoing the old one and fitting the new one.

If it was a BPW chassis then it would require a new axle as their stub axles are NOT replaceable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul,

I'm sorry but its not good news.

Unless you friend contracted the dealer to carry out the services, then he has no comeback against the dealer, only the seller.

As the purchase was from a private seller, his rights are severely limited, and he should have ensured the goods were up to scratch before purchasing, I know its easy said, but it's vitally important with private sales.

To have any real success with pursuing the matter, he would have to prove the seller knew about the problem and that the seller took steps to conceal the issue.

This is an example of one of the risks of making private purchases compared to one from a dealer where there are more legal rights.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Bailey use Al-Ko chassis and running gear and the stub axle IS replaceable.
It is a relatively simple job of undoing the old one and fitting the new one.

If it was a BPW chassis then it would require a new axle as their stub axles are NOT replaceable.

That's good news for him - when you say it's a relatively simple job, presumably a factory trained mobile engineer could do it? Or is it a workshop job? I assume it's not a DIY job?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with the view there is no comeback here against the servicing business. The servicing contract is with the previous owner who is the only one who has any rights against them. The only possibility is he took out an HP agreement to buy it but that is unlikely with a private purchase. If this was a simple loan then there is no comeback there.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul, sorry for the delay in replying.
If the engineer is Al-Ko certified as an Approved Al-Ko Workshop then he would know about changing stubs, as he appears not to be, then it is unlikely that he would be able to do it.
You also need a VERY high torque capable torque wrench, so unless he carries one then he could not do it.
It can be done on the van but it is better in a workshop.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for this Damian, he is certified and does have the necessary torque wrench because he removed and replaced all the other Alko nuts (on my 'van as well) so it looks as though it could be done at home by him. Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts