Setting up satellite system with Humax HD Box

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
I am a newbie to satellite TV, caravan or home. I've recently bought a second hand Maxview dish and tripod and new Humax HD box to use in our caravan. I have been trying out this setup at home. My son kindly setup the HD box using the Sky dish on his house. I am struggling to get a signal when testing the dish and box in our garden but think that may be to do with problems of getting a good clear "line of sight" due to adjacent buildings. I have now discovered disponinter.com and plan to try setting up the dish again tomorrow using the readings given for my home on there.

I have been using the excellent Satelitforcaravans.co.uk website to help me but I am, however, puzzled by one paragraph of Satellite for Caravans websites's instructions for the Humax box.

"Anyway, go to the Manual Tune screen via Menu and Setup. Then on the Transponder line, click the right arrow to get the transponder list. Select 11426 H 27500 A and click OK. (11426 MHz is the frequency of the transponder that carries the EPG, so find that frequency and you have the programme guide.) Now aim the dish as described above until you get a signal strength and quality of at least 50%. If the channel list doesn't appear, go to Freesat Tune (Menu/Setup/OK, then select Freesat Tune/OK) and the channels should then found. Select Save/OK. Exit the Menu system."

On the transponder line of the Humax box's manual setup screen I cannot find the reading of 11426H27500 only 11426V27500.

Any advice can give on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

David Sullivan of satelliteforcaravans.co.uk replied to an email I sent him - in UNDER ONE HOUR. He said that the transponder setting was not 11426H27500 but 11426V27500. The former frequency on the his website was a typo.

So armed with the dishpointer figures I'll be out in the garden trying again tonight - weather permitting.

Tim

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
A tip when buying a satellite system is to buy the smallest, yes the smallest dish that you can get away with. The reason is that the larger the dish the more difficult it is to set up and find the right "spot" to receive a signal.

Imagine it to be like a very large & powerful telescope and a small one. With the smaller one it's simple to find and focus on an aeroplane in the sky but try to do the same with a very large one. For sure you will get a stronger signal with the large dish but as long as the signal quality is sufficient to enable the picture to lock on thats all you really need.

I use a sky minidish as far south as northern Spain with great success and I reckon I could go even furthur south.

Must try it one day!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
...on a good day you can get a signal down as far as Barcelona with a sky mini dish.

Any further south and you will need a bigger dish and some retuning to pick up British stations.

A 100cms dish will work on the Mediterranean coast in good weather conditions but stations will disappear in bad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts