Shop around, there really are bargains out there.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It definitely pays to shop around. Although my feelings are that the caravan sales market has become far keener than it used to be with margins, there really are bargains to be had out there. In the last week, shopping around has paid dividends.

Lets start with my caravan, a 2010 Swift Celebration 470 that we wished to trade in for something bigger with a better layout. We decided on a Challenger or Challenger Sport Special Edition 524 which we eventually found and ordered. At the time of trading, our van was valued bottom book at around the 8k level, and top book around 10k. The sell for around the 11k level. At every dealership we were offered slightly below to just on bottom book. By being prepared to play hardball and walk away from a potential deal, we eventually found what we wanted. at the right price, and bettered the PX value by £1.7k and then got a discount off the van we wanted.

Deal two. Four years ago, we bought a factory clearance Dorema Montana for around £450, sold it on Ebay a year later for £400. Changing the van, we bought an identical but larger Dorema for £490 but it was woeful, tight zips, crooked stitching and leaky seams so we decidied to get shut. We found a brand new but previous season Isabella Capri Lux and were given £500 PX against the Isabella, already reduced by a third for the model year. We paid £400 in cash plus px and we have used that for four long seasons. I never expected to do that good a deal again, but having ordered the above van, we had to start the awning game again. So, current list price of the Isabella Capri Coal is £1349 with Carbon X poles.. After buying our caravan we were offered a discount of £49. Wouldnt take px but said if they had would have offered £300. Shopping around, the best we were offered was £350 px, apart from a couple of guys who were going to ring back. Only one did, and I nearly fell off my chair at the deal he offered. £765 px value against the new Isabella, with a £630 cash difference. To say I bit his hand off was an understatement. Picked it up yesterday and am delighted with the deal. After talking to him, he told me they consider they offer the best PX barring none, and I have to agree.

It really does pay to play hardball, walk away, do some research and make a few calls, there really are still bargains to be had.

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Good morning,

Thanks for sharing details of your bargain hunting success, I for one love a bargain!

Thought this was a nice positive post that would make a nice letter to use in the next issue. Are you happy for us to do so?
If so could you also confirm your 'real' name to use with it.

Many thanks, Stacie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts