Shortages of favourite beverage

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
OH went to Sainsbury, Co-op and then Tesco to try and buy me a case of John Smiths. No luck. Eventually stopped a corner store and managed to get me the last 4 pack of John Smith and also a 4 pack of Carling at the inflated prices, but at least now I can have a cold beer! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OH went to Sainsbury, Co-op and then Tesco to try and buy me a case of John Smiths. No luck. Eventually stoppped a corner store and managed to get me the last 4 pack of John Smith and also a 4 pack of Carling at the inflated prices, but at least now I can have a cold beer! :D
You could have tried bartering a gas cylinder on Gumtree.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Not that desperate yet!

If you drink John Smiths, I think you probably are. So, four cans of weak beer, and four cans of near frozen gnats piddle, aint much of a party is it.

Now lets start properly, 8 pints or so of either Old peculier, Hobgoblin or Exmoor Beast whilst bravely munching on Wasabi crisps, leading to the excited removal of the cork from a rather cheeky Highland or Island Malt, before somebody mentions those immortal words "who is for a vinders" and all off into a taxi bound for the Taj Mahal downtown. Then and only then are pints of near frozen gnats piddle allowed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you drink John Smiths, I think you probably are. So, four cans of weak beer, and four cans of near frozen gnats piddle, aint much of a party is it.

Now lets start properly, 8 pints or so of either Old peculier, Hobgoblin or Exmoor Beast whilst bravely munching on Wasabi crisps, leading to the excited removal of the cork from a rather cheeky Highland or Island Malt, before somebody mentions those immortal words "who is for a vinders" and all off into a taxi bound for the Taj Mahal downtown. Then and only then are pints of near frozen gnats piddle allowed.
Unfortunately due to a medical issue I am not supposed to drink any alcohol at present, but what the hell it is very hot!
The English beers mentioned above are generally horrible tasting, vile and always warm hence prefer cold lager. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately due to a medical issue I am not supposed to drink any alcohol at present, but what the hell it is very hot!
The English beers mentioned above are generally horrible tasting, vile and always warm hence prefer cold lager. :ROFLMAO:
Time to invest in a new fridge methinks or don’t keep forgetting to put the JS in the fridge too 😂

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You probably prefer Elephant, Guilder or even Star.
Try a cool Adnams Ghostship 0.05 % ok for a few. Or as a Shandy.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Aldi and Lidl both do an excellent Pilsner. £2.99 for 4 pints. Once chilled. Is a very refreshing pint. Me, Real Ale comes first.

DD,

How I envy you Engs, up here we have minimum pricing based on alcohol content.

Our regulations offer no advantages at all as far as I am concerned, the one very small benefit is that junk ales, wines and spirits etc, are effectively competing on price with the better products.

A downside to the above is that, for example, Coppaberg cider and other brands know this and are adding a premium to their products simply because it is so much better than the rubbish offerings who cannot reduce their prices because their alcohol content dictates their price.

I might move South of Hadrians wall, do you welcome prospective Engs? (based solely on a predilection for cheap alcohol :p).

Perhaps a new type of Scots Border Rievers will emerge.
Lock up your bevy Alan, have Terri stand vigilant through the night.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Brings a new meaning to a booze cruise then Anseo-quick drive over the border for a stock up on the booze! How much is the price differential-would it be worth it I wonder?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Tomorrow probably go to a bigger Tesco or Sainsburys to get a case of 18 JS. Normally lasts me 2 - 3 months. Can't get on with the Carling so that will be in the fridge for a couple of months. :D

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Brings a new meaning to a booze cruise then Anseo-quick drive over the border for a stock up on the booze! How much is the price differential-would it be worth it I wonder?

I cannot give individual examples Jezzer, one reason being that I cannot remember as it was pre covid when I had my last trip to England, I think my last visit was to attend the coronation of our present King at a Fest.

I do remember bringing back a stock of bottled beer as the price differential was too good to ignore, trouble with liquids as you know is they are heavy, so my stock purchase was rather limited.

IIRC, a bottle of McEwans Champion was 60 pence cheaper than the lowest price available in Scottish supermarkets, e.g. Aldi and Lidl etc.

For someone living in the border area, a booze trip would be very worthwhile especially if a van load were purchased to be distributed and shared as a group purchase.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I lived in Ottawa alcohol could only be purchased via Ontario Government outlets which would package it in brown plain bags. Whilst just across the river Hull in Quebec sold booze everywhere and at most hours. So one night I took the Jeep across to Hull for a booze run. As luck would have it I was stopped by the Ottawa police who found the cargo. I got fined. I also got a fine whilst out on a motor launch on the Rideau Canal even though the beer was in a mug. Again drinking outdoors in public places wasn’t allowed. Yet 99% of the locals did it.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts