Should I get a caravan moisture meter?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It is only worth getting one, if you know where and how to use it.
They are used to check if you have any damp areas on the interior areas of your caravan, walls, ceilings and floors. Normally near a joint or a door ie near an overhead roof window, some have two small spikes that you have to push into the caravan walls or floor, others can check the damp by just pressing against the wall but are expensive.

Reactions: DaveA1 and Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are anticipating purchasing a damp meter for checking a caravan before you purchase it, as Hutch says you need to know how to use it and to interpret the readings you get. In a caravan the inner wall surfaces have a vinyl covering which is of course water proof, This can complicate the readings.

Do also be aware that you must get the caravan owners permision to use it, as the one Hutch has suggested uses pins to puncture the surface of the wall, and owners may be justly unhappy if you start leaving marks all over the place.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I recently had damp diagnosed in the floor which I am going to get examined on the 25th. In the mean time I bought a meter. I did not expect the same standards as the engineer uses with his £400 meter, but hoped I would get one which gave me a good indication of problems. I bought the one in the following link. And it has proved to be a fantastic purchase. It is both a proximeter meter and invasive two pronged type. It did not give exactly the same results but near enough for me.

You definitely need to know what you are doing to make sense of it. And the procedure varies from van make to van make depending on the structure. For example. All walls and ceiling in my van show 0% But my understanding is they have a chemical or dye in them whichturns blue if they do get damp. However my floor is very bad, no smell or spongyness,

Amazon link.

John

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a Protimeter and use it every four months or so, not check the Mobil man but to monitor van through the year, although not that much difference in readings. I cannot check the shower as it's the pinned variety so have to rely on him for the year.
Has anyone any thoughts on how the, say Dr Meter pin less performs through the Plastic shower surround??

PS thought about starting a new thread, not wanting to highjack this one. Will start one if you think I should??

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have a Protimeter and use it every four months or so, not check the Mobil man but to monitor van through the year, although that much difference in readings. I cannot check the shower as it's the pinned variety so have to rely on him for the year.
Has anyone any thoughts on how the, say Dr Meter pin less performs through the Plastic shower surround??

PS thought about starting a new thread, not wanting to highjack this one. Will start one if you think I should??

We are away in the van right now, sort of a shake down before going in for a damp assessment after finding high readings in the floor at the recent service.

The toilet flush failed. It was clear that the pump was pumping back into the tank and not the bowl. Because of the stupid design, (Dometic toilet). It is necessary to remove the toilet to get to the offending part, the tank top. Another £35! Jackson's leisure seems the best place, and nice to deal with. While the toilet is out I can do a better moisture check. I also spotted that on a previous time the toilet was take out for warrantee repairs, the dealer has cut the lino. So I could fold it back and let the air get at the wood, which feels and looks absolutely fine, despite 43% plus readings. It puzzles me how caravans can be expected to get dry with the lino in place. Anyway, with the lino pulled back it dropped by 10% in 30 mins.

In answer to your question Dave. I tried the shower area. (I don't even know if that is done at the service), and it reads 0%.

Now that might mean there is no problem, or it does not penetrate that material.

But as a proximity meter I get very similar readings through the lino or with the lino pulled back, or with the prongs

4787D0B7-278F-4291-BEBA-39D73AC279F8.jpeg

F41B8345-5149-4354-958C-FD23E061F169.jpeg

NB the sgiggly lines are just the original attempt at glueing the lino down.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a Protimeter and use it every four months or so, not check the Mobil man but to monitor van through the year, although that much difference in readings. I cannot check the shower as it's the pinned variety so have to rely on him for the year.

I think this will be a good follow on, I have the pinned type, but as you say to check the wall behind the shower wall, could be handy,
What type were you thinking about ?

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I think this will be a good follow on, I have the pinned type, but as you say to check the wall behind the shower wall, could be handy,
What type were you thinking about ?
The one that John uses, or any pin less, is it possible to read through the plastic even? Johns reads zero which is not a normal reading, always some reading there.
had closer look at my damp report, seems the fitter test the perimeter of the shower but not behind the plastic lining.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The one that John uses, or any pin less, is it possible to read through the plastic even? Johns reads zero which is not a normal reading, always some reading there.
had closer look at my damp report, seems the fitter test the perimeter of the shower but not behind the plastic lining.

Mine is both pinless and pinned. The pinless reads zero on all dry surfaces, eg worktops. Unless it can penetrate and get a reading from under the surface. Manufacturers will be vague on that ability.

I don't know what the internal walls are in my van. Being a Lunar I am told old fashioned and traditional. But if so I would think absorbent materials like ply would likely naturally show some reading. But I recently read the walls are some man made material which has a built in tell tale of turning blue if damp. My meter shots no more than 3% reading both in pinless and pinned mode. But the floor in places will show up to 50%.

Might get more info next week after taking it to the ‘experts’ (I hope).

John

Last edited:

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Are you expecting your caravan to leak like a sponge?
There is NO need for such an implement if you own a well made caravan.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Thank you for rubbing it in. My van is 7 years old. Totally passed dry for 6 years. Now has up to 55% in the floor. I purchased my recommended meter for £20ish to check and monitor after the technicians £400 model found the damp. Perhaps if I had been proactive and purchased it a few years ago I would have had some warning. I am now facing a £1300 repair on top of the service and evaluation.

How naive you are to think that some caravans can be purchased to be damp free. Some may well be better than others, but ALL are liable to have water ingress. Even the best will have Monday or Friday built examples.

I would love to know what these damp free makes are.

John

Reactions: DaveA1 and Buckman
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought
Yes, I want to be able to check around my caravan every couple of months, my van is well made, and damp free, at the moment, I am a engineer and I understand, changes happen all of a sudden.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Show me any caravan maker that guarantees their product won't leak or that has never suffered at least one of their products leaking through poor design or workmanship!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So your caravan gets checked once a year and thats it, fine for the rest of the year, get real.
Before the moderators ban me from replying to your inputs, thank you and good bye Hoomer. Have good trips away, hopefully in a busy Site not near my Cl or CS site.

I apologise to the rest of the forum members, Parksy and Sam, , no need to repremand me, already done to myself.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I and others have used this meter successfully for a number of years. Calibration? I check my AWS engineers readings annually and consistently get almost identical readings.
Hoomers statements imo are very skewed from caravanning reality. Sometimes it can take a few months for the drying out process to complete after a repair. Regular testing of the area will establish whether or not the repair is successful. Similarly regular testing of a suspect area can catch a problem early rather than waiting 12 months.

Brennenstuhl Moisture Detector MD (Moisture Meter )

Attachments

• 9A64EAFD-09A5-4ACA-AAD0-E19B67081B6E.jpeg
    9A64EAFD-09A5-4ACA-AAD0-E19B67081B6E.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have the same meter and like you I would “ calibrate” it against the AWS technicians readings. But before buying the meter and for peace of mind I would have a “ mid term” AWS damp reading six months after a service. The additional cost was worth it for peace of mind.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I and others have used this meter successfully for a number of years. Calibration? I check my AWS engineers readings annually and consistently get almost identical readings.
Hoomers statements imo are very skewed from caravanning reality. Sometimes it can take a few months for the drying out process to complete after a repair. Regular testing of the area will establish whether or not the repair is successful. Similarly regular testing of a suspect area can catch a problem early rather than waiting 12 months.

Brennenstuhl Moisture Detector MD (Moisture Meter )
That is what I used and think it is fairly accurate. As per my cracked panel when I checked around the location inside for any damp. it read zero, but dealer states there is 25% damp in the area?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
An opinionated forum member has created some forum unrest to disturb the normally friendly advice and exchange of views on our message boards.
It would appear that not everyone respects or understands the bounds of polite behaviour which normally prevents controversial comments from being posted.
The hostile reactions to controversy, while understandable, are unnecessary, it's better to educate than to castigate.
Fellow moderator Sam is dealing admirably with issues arising from the recent forum upsets, in the meantime, if anyone disagrees with advice or opinions offered, point out the errors by all means, but remain calm and polite please.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Before the moderators ban me from replying to your inputs, thank you and good bye Hoomer. Have good trips away, hopefully in a busy Site not near my Cl or CS site.

I apologise to the rest of the forum members, Parksy and Sam, , no need to repremand me, already done to myself.
Are you still with us Hutch. Hope So

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
By the time a moisture meter detects damp, the damage is done.
The correct procedure is to regularly inspect the external joints and seals.
like a boat, Keep the water out, not repair the damage after it gets in.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Sounds good, but not necessarily so. My van was passed as dry last year. It now has large areas of the floor well spread out, that are up to 55%. A physical examination shows that it is all still structurally fine. I am getting the horizontal, lower awning rails and a third of the near side front rail rebedded as well as a locker. Yet all walls are dry. I don't think a layman would have detected any faults with them. However, if I had used a meter myself, I may have had a better warning.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not all of us can afford a non invasive moisture meter like the Protimeter. Using one with probes may leave indents al around the caravan.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Not all of us can afford a non invasive moisture meter like the Protimeter. Using one with probes may leave indents al around the caravan.

I'm not talking about meters. Most water ingress is through defective sealant and can be detected with a simp,e visual inspection. If you take your damp caravan to be fixed, this is exactly what the repairer does, visually examine the seals And sealant to identify the point of entry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts