Should we be allowed to enjoy our hobbies whilst on or near a site?

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I am a very keen radio controlled model enthusiast! I often take a couple of cars, boats and helicopters with me on holiday in the hope that there is an open area near-by where i can indulge in my hobby! Does this anoy other people or not? I do use both electric and IC, but no IC in the evenings!

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't bother me either Lakey but there are certain 'tut tut' people in this world who would take umbridge with anything that might make the slightest of noise on a site, especially if it looks like you are having fun. As long as you aren't doing it at the same time as riding a bike, playing with a football and/or making a noise you should be all right on most sites.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'd enjoy watching it myself as long as there was absolutely no danger of anything hitting my caravan or anybody else's for that matter.
One large commercial caravan park, Unity in Brean, Somerset hold model aircraft breaks as a special offer every year
http://www.hru.co.uk/special_offer_details&article_baseid=96

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Go for it. Can't be as bad as those daily grass cutting machines.
I'd like lessons on the helicopter please.
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Please send me a list of sites that you will be visiting. I love model aircraft especially if I have my airgun with me as I can get lots of practice at a moving target.
smiley-laughing.gif
Seriously it would not bother me.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Maybe we could combine two hobbies, mine is Clay Pigeon Shooting. Only Joking.
My hobby is also a lot noisier than yours, so probably that's a no for my hobby, but I can't see any reason that you should not enjoy yours,
Good Luck.

Steve W

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
Good to see I'm not the only one. I only fly electric aircraft and helis but I do try and sneak one or the other in the car witout the other half noticing. I have never had any complaints - infact if my flying is visible from the site, I have in the past ended up with people watching and generally they are quite interested and positive about the whole thing.

Dave

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Ive had a model helicopter hit the caravan.
smiley-yell.gif

So yes it would annoy me, anywhere near my van.
Also had the TV picture interfered with by a bloke in a nearby caravan, he was using his CB radio.
smiley-surprised.gif

The site owners told him to pack it in or leave.
smiley-smile.gif

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
Well, if it was a hobby pursued away from the vans then thats fine, background noise is not a problem. However, I do go away to escape the noise violation in my own home - that was the reason we bought the van in the first place. If it were, say, in the middle of the site and I had to stand the noise intrustion then I have to admit, it would bother me big time. Sorry.

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
what if the vans are arranged around the perimeter of a site - would it be acceptable to pursue the hobby in the "open area" in the middle? Out of earshot, yes. What is "open area" to one may not be considered as such by a neighbour. As long as the hobby is pursued with respect for others fair enough, if it imposes on the enjoyment of others absolutely not.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Timbo, the person doing the flying, hitting the ball, throwing the frisbee or whatever is sure that 'nothing can go wrong', there is 'no chance' of anything hitting a caravan, they've done it 'loads of times'.
Meanwhile the other caravanners who have also paid to enjoy the site can't relax because somebody is flying their model plane or helicopter, playing cricket, football, rounders, frisbee throwing a bit closer than they are comfortable with.
The boats would be ok and probably the cars but the flying could lead to problems if it was too close, and one persons 'safe distance' might be another's 'too close for comfort'.
For me it would have to be well away from the caravans, a different field if I'm honest.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I can see all points, but. if your a responsible model emthusiast then you will do all to try and avoid a bad impression of the hobby. much like a fisherman not leaving line for birds to get tangled in. Dave11 will probably agree that you should be a member of the BMFA for insurance purposes just in case, and they advocate responsible flying!! By the way, to all those with an itch trigger finger! i'll be in the forsest of dean during half term, so watch for flying things!!!!!!!!!!!! I have fitted cameras on my aircraft so i'll know who you are!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It depends on how one construes an open area. To the pedantic an open area can be between two caravans but how I understood it, and I'm sure those who responded positively did, the open area near-by that Lakey mentioned was a field, such as the dog walk at Rookesbury Park. Nearby is the constructive word.
As someone mentioned on here earlier there will always be those who complain no matter what. Fly your helicopter in a field Lakey and enjoy yourself but whatever you do don't get taking your boats into the washing up sinks to anti-foul them. If someone slips over they'll swear it was the slime from the keel of your boats and you'll be sued for compo
smiley-smile.gif

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It wouldn't bother me at all as long as you were away from the van area, which by your comments, you would do anyway.

CB radio's can interfear with RC control signals so I would watch out for that one. At Fforestfields at Builth in wales, the site has a microlite air strip and it is fun to watch others having fun too.

One of my hobbies is sailing, all be it cruising these days as I can't hike out over the side on a trapeez anymore. I took my Mirror Dinghy to our caravan one day so that I could rig down hauls for the jib and spinnaker, to make it easier for my crew (the wife) to handle. But the warden complained about that after 30 mins so I have to store my boat 16 miles away at my mums. But he also told me to turn round my wind jammer aerofoil to hide the holiday stickers as there was too much of a carvival going on!!

So I would ask at each site enquiry just in case you find a forrest gump or Mr A R sole.

Holidays are for fun and as long as it isn't banger racing or clay pidgeon shooting, everyone should be able to have fun.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lakey. I oftern take a twister storm440d with me ,and a small seagull models extr300 both of course leccy .
My youngest has a selection of indoor helis and i have a nine eagles pro for flying inside, as some of the larger commercial sites often have a hall or room that we cann use.
My 4yr old loves his little SYMA Chinook, he hovers it, lands it, takes off then hovers again and catches it.... Its a great models and totally safe.
I do have insurance with the BMFA but first off all you must comply with the ANO that specifically states that when flying model aircraft you must ensure that it is safe to do so andthhat you do not cause or endanger property or persons.

I use the heli away from caravans and people, simply as the head speed at 1700rppm and carbon blades would cause serious injury to anyone.When i take the plank i usually find a small field adjoing the site and often this draws quite a crowd, but again , safety is paramount. Ensure that you fly as iif you were flying at a show.

I tend to take the plank more than the helli,, especiallly when at the coast as those wide open beaches are perfect. I also use 2.4ghz gear for the "holiday" models and you can pick it up from giantcod for next to nothing.
I know have a Chris Foss Wot4- foamie version and fly that behind my house and may just take that in future. If you have not got one
go and get one, Brilliant fun. just get a 2200 x 30c 3s lipo.

I dont take anything I/C, why ?. because the constant noise of 2st glow would drive me mad, especially on a heli, and i must admit i hate to hear the constant whine from a car racing up down inbetween the caravans- it would be better to get a leccy version.

I have witnessed a 1/10 i/c circuit car at a site have an interferance issue, the driver lost control and the 1.5k car hit the side of a new Insignia. Needles to say the resultant argument was distressing for all. The guy driving the car had no insurance, that he could have gt via the BRCA ( i raced 1/8 ic circuit for 10 years before going Plank flying )

If you know anyine who wants a new RCV SP120 4st - attached to an Ultimate bipe ,let me know.

Steve in leo wrote "CB radio's can interfear with RC control signals so I would watch out for that one"
Bit of an urban myth that one. In the ealry days of cb when rc was predominantly on 27mhz and colours the blue split was on a frequancy that some CBers were using. The CBers were illlegally using that frequency.
SInce those days 35mhz is for Aircraft only, 40mhz is for surface only, 2..4ghz is generally and 27mhz can usuallly be found on toys from argos.

Even in my 27mhz days i never came across anyoone who had suffered interferance attributed to a CB., i raced mutlihull boats and cars all over uk and never had an issue.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I was looking at a PP that I received the other week and the guys in Dubai are big into this as soem the model aircraft were almost the size of a smll plane, i.e. a model of a 747 etc. Also saw anothe one of a Super fortress with 4 prop engines. Absolutely massive. Pity we can't post it on this forum as it is interesting but if any one has a spare email address I can forward it on.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
"CB radio's can interfear with RC control signals so I would watch out for that one".

hi. if the CB radio operator is licenced and the rig is of the legal type it will not interfere with the RC remote of a model car or aircraft or boat as the the bandwith is different and the modulation of a different type, there was a problem 30years ago with the illegally imported models that used 27mhz AM signal with high and low side bands that encroached on the model RF bandwidth. but I would doubt if many of these were still around allthough it is possible I suppose.

regarding the persuit of hobbies on site I am all in favour of it so go ahead enjoy but don't get umbridge with anyone else persuing thier hobby like practicing the bagpipes, or motor cycle stunt riding, and dont dare complain about the fishermen starting cars @ 5am and people walking dogs past your van at 1am with a 1million candlepower searchlight.

it is strange however what some will complain about, a couple of years ago a very irrate woman came down to the lake to tear a strip of all the fishermen because she had to take her pooch down to the local vets to have a fishing hook removed from its paw your all a set of inconsiderate so and so's she said indignantly. the fact that there was a 3ft sign on the gate saying "NO DOGS ALLOWED NEAR THE LAKE" seemed not to be important to her.

so go ahead my friend enjoy your hobby it is certain you will upset someone no matter what you do,
colin

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
I was looking at a PP that I received the other week and the guys in Dubai are big into this as soem the model aircraft were almost the size of a smll plane, i.e. a model of a 747 etc. Also saw anothe one of a Super fortress with 4 prop engines. Absolutely massive. Pity we can't post it on this forum as it is interesting but if any one has a spare email address I can forward it on.
There is some footage of a radio controlled model B29 Superfortress
Here

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
I completely agree with Lakey. I am a member of the BMFA as is my 9 year old son whom I am teaching to fly. The insurance and piece of mind it provides is invaluable. I would never fly on an actual caravan park or site regardless of space and most site owners, I would assume, will take exception to you flying onsite but I can usually find a field or piece of open land nearby, preferably in walking distance but I have been known to drive to a suitable location.
Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts