Shower.

Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
How to best protect bathroom from damp? Wondering if I should close doors to shower cubicle after shower and open roof vent and window and close bathroom door. Or , leave shower cubicle doors open but close bathroom door? Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you all!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Never thought about that, but we leave the roof vent slightly open and the same with the bathroom window, thats when it is not cold outside.

Reactions: Cavalier
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Expect im over thinking it, lol!
Ventilation is the key to keeping mould at bay. If the bathroom seals and wall coverings are intact damp shouldn’t be the problem. I used to try and reduce as much water as possible using a microfibre cloth. It speeds up drying out.

Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
Ventilation is the key to keeping mould at bay. If the bathroom seals and wall coverings are intact damp shouldn’t be the problem. I used to try and reduce as much water as possible using a microfibre cloth. It speeds up drying out.
Ahh good idea, I will wipe the shower doors down with cloth. Thanks 😊

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the shower is correctly fitted using it should not cause damp, but leaving a bit of ventilation should prevent any condensation and is no bad thing.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Lots to learn in this Caravanning Lark. Just keep asking questions. It may be helpful to know that there is a difference between Damp and Condensation- in Caravanning terms at least.
Damp is generally taken to mean water ingress coming in from the outside, through a damaged seal, damaged window or a crack in the panel. Water gets in from outside and then causes damage in the wooden structural parts of the van.
Condensation is usually from the inside of the van caused by showers, cooking, and breathing. Good ventilation generally manages this as well as wiping down the shower, not drying clothes indoors etc.
Hope this helps
mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Lots to learn in this Caravanning Lark. Just keep asking questions. It may be helpful to know that there is a difference between Damp and Condensation- in Caravanning terms at least.
Damp is generally taken to mean water ingress coming in from the outside, through a damaged seal, damaged window or a crack in the panel. Water gets in from outside and then causes damage in the wooden structural parts of the van.
Condensation is usually from the inside of the van caused by showers, cooking, and breathing. Good ventilation generally manages this as well as wiping down the shower, not drying clothes indoors etc.
Hope this helps
mel
Good one Mel.

Reactions: Mel
Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
Hope this helps
mel
Thanks Mel. Very helpful explanation. Really grateful for all the help I've received so far from this forum. I'm afraid I will keep posting, already got another question...

Reactions: Mel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Following on from Mel's post re condensation, in colder/wetter weather you can get condensation in lockers that may be full of clothes. Especially if they are pressing against the caravan walls. Also some earlier vans were not fitted with anti condensation boards between the lounge sat backs and the wall. So as you sit there at night condensation may start to form.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
Following on from Mel's post re condensation, in colder/wetter weather you can get condensation in lockers that may be full of clothes. Especially if they are pressing against the caravan walls. Also some earlier vans were not fitted with anti condensation boards between the lounge sat backs and the wall. So as you sit there at night condensation may start to form.
Thank you for that very useful information. I do have the anti condensation boards along the sofa and side of bed, so that's good. Useful to know about the cupboards. I was wondering if I should open them every day to let air in? Also, if I should lift fixed bed every day for same reason?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for that very useful information. I do have the anti condensation boards along the sofa and side of bed, so that's good. Useful to know about the cupboards. I was wondering if I should open them every day to let air in? Also, if I should lift fixed bed every day for same reason?
Many people manage without lifting the beds every day, so suck it and see.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We just made sure our clothes in overhead lockers or wardrobe were not touching the caravan walls. The fixed bed had vents in its underskirt so we did not lift it, but of course we weren’t living in it full time. The only time lockers, cupboards etc were left open and the bed lifted was when the caravan was out back into store. Seat cushions would be lifted as well. All to aid good ventilation especially in winter.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our cupboards and wardrobes have vents cut into them, I assume this is to cure the potential problems. We have never had one though, even with older caravans without the vents.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our overhead lockers had vents but if the clothes were pushed against the caravans outer wall you could still get condensation in some weather conditions.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our shower is used by both of us everyday whilst away all year round.15 years on never had damp in the bathroom but the mirror mists up. Once finished we leave the sky light vent open, window on its second position lock and in winter the heating on.

Reactions: Cavalier and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts