Showers with push button on sites

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi
This may sound like a strange question, but has anyone ever got an electric shock of the push button showers that a lot of the caravan sites have now.
I'm not going to name the site that this has happened on because we love the site but this happened to both me and my husband on the same day. These push button showers as you know work by running for so long then going off and you have to push the buttons again. However if you lean back on the shower button it will run for longer. Now here is the question, is this a problem, is there some sort of pressure switch on this button that stops you pushing the button in for longer, however this should not give you an electric shock I got one mild one and my husband got two shocks, one that took his feet from underneath him. This has never happened to us before on this site and other sites with same showers. It was mentioned to one of the staff on site but was told never heard of it happening before and also we had a power cut to the site the day before if that relevant. Just wondered if any one else experienced this happening.
Thanks in advance

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Typically, these are operated by water damping the plunger's return stroke and themselves involve no electrics whatsoever.
My concerns would be that the water piping is or should be "earthed" as part of the estabishment's electrical system. So getting shocks from that "could" have serious implications; I hope that the site gets it looked at. If a site linked to one of the main clubs or commercial groups I would be making a more formal notice to them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Fellwalker

I'm sorry to read of your experience, If an electric shock is enough to knock an adult over as you describe, it could kill a child or damage a heart pacemaker. So you should have made a formal report about this to the site owner, not just a casual mention. I would have expected to see the staff rushing to clear the shower block and posting do not use notices.

I can conceive two possible causes of an electrical shock being delivered ( but there could be others) The first is if there is an electrical wiring fault with equipment associated with the shower and part of the system has become live, and secondly the possibility that a static electrical charge may have been created and was discharged when you touched the shower button, BUT in either case it means there is a serious fault with the electrical earthing of the shower and it should not be used until it has been put right.

There has been an increase in the amount of plastic water pipework lain in. This can mean that metal fittings like water valves are not part of an electrical installations continuous protective conductor systems by virtue of the copper pipework, and as water can conduct electricity, all metal water fitting in plastic pipe work should be bonded with an earth wire for the very reason you have posted.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Fellwalker, So sorry to hear of your electric shocks.

You have received replies from two acknowledged experts on the subject, and I urge you for everyone's sake to make an urgent formal notification to the owners/managers of the site concerned.

The owners/managers should, as has already been said, carry out an immediate isolation of the showers and attendant washing/toilet facilities ( if applicable) followed by a complete electrical and safety check.

What you have reported is potentially life threatening to any user on site, so please don't delay, report it by telephone and follow it up by a written letter, or fax or email at the earliest possible opportunity.
Regards
paws

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
This happened to us a few years ago. Both hubby and daughter received shocks from the pysh button. We reported it to the campsite, and they were on to it straight away. I'm not sure it was ever found what was causing it, and the following year we still got mild tingling. Again we reported it, but apparently it had not happened to any one else.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would only concur with what everybody else has said. it needs to be reported. Perhaps it would also be worth speaking to your neighbouring caravans to see if anybody else has noticed it. As has been said, its potentially life threatening and I wouldnt want that on my conscience knowing I had said nothing. My guess is that if the owners/wardens are responsible people, and they should be, they will be grateful that you have brought it to their attention as it could save them massive problems were an accident to happen.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I know the CC site at Longleat has had this problem and had to take the toilet block out until it was fixed. It does sound like a problem with the earthing and the site management need to be told so they can deal with it. Not sure they would find this when cleaning so they could be unaware of it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EHUs Are I believe subject to annual electrical checks. As the facility blocks are public places are they also subject to regular checks including earth continuity tests?
Hopefully the OP has told the Owner by now?

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replys everyone we have now left the site we were at but my husband did tell one of the staff about the incident after it had happened,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fellwalker said:
Thanks for replys everyone we have now left the site we were at but my husband did tell one of the staff about the incident after it had happened,

As I hope we have indicated, the incident is serious and you should back it up with a written report to the operator and request a response, to confirm they have actually received it.

I don't want to make you feel bad, but consider how you would feel if you later learn that some one has been seriously electrocuted in the showers? - an event that could have been avoided if you had ensured the site operator was fully aware of your incidents.

Please write to the site explain what happened and ask that the showers are fully checked for electrical safety.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure who the member of staff was but I would suggest that it is reported to someone in authority at the reception if possible when a problem like this occurs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts