sky plus box

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
I used to take my sky box and sat.with me caravanning.I now have sky plus,does anyone know if I could take it touring without having to connect to a phone line.

any info would be grateful

thanks Jimmy

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi James.

I don't have my sky plus box connected to a phone line at home and it works fine but I presume you would have only the one cable going into the back of your box when away from home so you would only be able to record the channel you are watching unless you switched to terrestrial tv as well as you would only be receiving the one satelite signal

Rob

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
We have Sky Plus and ours isn't connected at home to the telephone. We have recently bought a satellite dish with a twin lnb, which enables you to use 2 cables - this then gives you the ability to watch one channel and record another.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
I know it might sound like telling your Grandmother how to suck eggs but rememeber /write down where all the cables come from especialy these day's with all the other things attached to our tv.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
I think its worth pointing out that if your SKY+ box is inside a year old then you are contracted to keep it connected to the phone line, if you dont you will get a nasty letter from sky, then after so many nasty letters they will attempt to charge you for the full cost of the box, the phone line is part of the subsidised deal you sign up to.

I have just hit the year mark, however, it never stopped me taking the box away to the van with us, upon my return home i would always make the box do a call back to sky so that they had no reason to get snotty with me.

a forced call back can be achieved by pressing services,4,0,1 select, 6, this will first make the box call the satellite via the dish, then contact sky via the internal modem.

simple.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
You are correct Mike. Sky can get a bit shirty if you unplug the box in the first year. We had the snotty letters when our son's extra digibox in his room wasn't plugged in to the phone socket so we had to wire up an extra socket for him. We were a bit annoyed though as the Sky engineer who installed it knoew there wasn't a socket in the bedroom and didn't tell us we must get one, just that it ought to be plugged in. They wanted to charge us the full subscription for the extra box instead of the

May 7, 2007
Visit site
You are correct Mike. Sky can get a bit shirty if you unplug the box in the first year. We had the snotty letters when our son's extra digibox in his room wasn't plugged in to the phone socket so we had to wire up an extra socket for him. We were a bit annoyed though as the Sky engineer who installed it knoew there wasn't a socket in the bedroom and didn't tell us we must get one, just that it ought to be plugged in. They wanted to charge us the full subscription for the extra box instead of the

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi James,

You can still use your sky + box, all you have to do is connect the coax cable from your dish into plug 1 on the back of the box. You won't be able to record another program while watching another program but you shouls be able to record the one you are watching if needed.

Alternately do as Ken says above, get hold of a twin or quad LNB and you will have the full sky+ functions.

Hope this helps

Graham Ponty

May 2, 2005
Visit site
We always take our Sky+ box away with us and always get the "letter"...........a quick call back and then a phone call to them to say that...."we always switch off the electric at home while away as keeping the box('s) on standby is not helping global warming" keeps them happy..........

If they were to get nasty about it, I would say......."OK, I will cancel"......see how they like that

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been taking Sky and Sky+ and we have multiroom for over 10 years both within the 12months period and outside it but have never received a letter from Sky even after taking Sky+ multiroom away for 5 weeks

So far the luck is holding out

I wonder if its because we pay them for the Movie Channel and Sky Sports etc on direct debit??

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Think you've been lucky so far John cos we pay full subscription by direct debit too but we got the letters!

Long may your luck hold out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are right but if I had the letter I would discontinue the multiroom and use the magic eye link instead during the caravan season

Both boxes are over 12months old and one of them was bought from a TV shop

Aug 14, 2006
Visit site
We've just had our sky changed, because we switched to multi-room and sky plus, they put up a new dish, because the old one only had one coax out put.

so currently in my kitchen I have a sky dish, complete with the receiver, and our old black sky box in the bedroom, could I actually take this lot with me and use sky on-site?

I know I'd need some sort of mounting/tripod for the dish and one of those natty signal detectros to set it up, is there something I'm missing?

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
I have neve bothered to take the sky box away as freeview is enough for us, but I would just like to comment, I must be lucky as I have been with sky since we moved here, first with a standard Sky box about 5 years ago then moved up to Sky+ box , I was told about the phone line must be connected at all times ,but we have no phone socket in the room, I ran a temp phone cable when the guys set up the boxes and said , lied , I was getting a proper phone socket put in , never have bothered, never been connected and I have NEVER heard from Sky.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts