Sky TV, suspect LMB but not sure

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hello all.

We finally got away for the first time this year & only had one small problem, I couldn't get the sky to lock on.
I use a tripod & never adjust the 'up / down' angle , it normally just works, on a slope I level the tripod. We were on a site where it normally works fine.
i just couldn't get a signal, I used the 'sat finder' , it bleeped like i'd found something but the 'test bars' didn't move.
Am I correct in thinking that as the sat-finder bleeped the cable is OK? I therefore suspect the LMB is faulty.
will any LMB fit any dish? Me is an old domestic dish.
Cheers Gareth

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
If the sat finder beeps surely the LNB is working.It could just be your on the wrong satellite.If the sat strength bar is zero it is probably LNB ,connection problem(check F plugs ) or cable problem.Of course it could also be the receiver at fault

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
It is very easy to hit the wrong sat, especially the 19E which you have likely found is much stronger. You need to swing a little east and elevate the dish slightly.
Oh, and it's LNB - low noise block.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
LNB ? Ooops!
I've hit the wrong sat before & the signal bars on the TV both go up.
Is it possible for the LNB to go out of true, so that you have to aim the dish at the 'wrong' place? Reason I ask this is because when it last worked I seemed to be aiming it way too far west. [Am I correct thinking the correct compass bearing is 142 deg??]

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
I've been reading lots from that site, lots of good advice!
I'm going to give it another try with my old LNB before I replace it. I'm going to make an elivation meter like those on the web site too.
I'll have to fire up my genny as i've no 240V at the caravan & my TV is 240 only.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If your LNB fits into a clamp rather than sliding inside the arm, I have a brand new LNB still in a sealed box available if you live not too far from Worcester. Screwfix & Maplins also do them for a very good price.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On our new Sky + Amstrad box the network ID correctly shows 0002 whilst the Transport Stream varies between 07D4, 0809 07F4 and one or two others. Yet all the channels are fully available. This is also what happens at home. No idea why.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dustydog said:
On our new Sky + Amstrad box the network ID correctly shows 0002 whilst the Transport Stream varies between 07D4, 0809 07F4 and one or two others. Yet all the channels are fully available. This is also what happens at home. No idea why.
We have the same issue with a amdtrad HD+ box.. Looking at rthe signal at present at home you can see the signal going up and down.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Surfer but mine's the type that fits insde the arm.
I'm going to try again when I get chance & see if it was just me not doing something right. I've ordered an inclinometer to help me find the correct 'up/down' angle again once I've got it working once.
That u-tube clip on the satalite for caravans web site is good too!

HELP! Just been looking in e-bay etc.
Are all LNBs for Sky Mini dishes with the push fit attachment the same fitting????

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Why do you need an inclinometer - the dish mounting is marked. Just get the mounting vertical in all planes and you're away.
Note also that dishes have a built-in inclination - usually 20 or 25deg.
Finally remember that a Sky dish is specifically designed to only just work in England and Wales, hence why there is a bigger dish for Scotland. Get yourself a conventional 60cm dish - you will find it vastly easier to line up and get a better signal into the bargain.

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Apparently the satellite sends out a "ghost" signal, that is a wide area signal for locating the sat in the first instance, this signal can be picked up from behind trees, other vans, wash blocks etc, but the "finer" main signal can be blocked by the same buildings etc.
Because of this you get a good reading on your meter, but not locking on.
I was away last weekend , parked in the same spot a last year ( cause the satellite worked !! on the orders of er in doors) , got an excellent reading on the sat finder, but nothing on the sky box, this turned out to be because the trees having grown that wee bit from our last visit.
Had to reposition the dish further back, and to the left a tad, and bingo, all was calm in the van .
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Anthony Norn Ireland said:
Apparently the satellite sends out a "ghost" signal, that is a wide area signal for locating the sat in the first instance, this signal can be picked up from behind trees, other vans, wash blocks etc, but the "finer" main signal can be blocked by the same buildings etc.
Because of this you get a good reading on your meter, but not locking on.
I was away last weekend , parked in the same spot a last year ( cause the satellite worked !! on the orders of er in doors) , got an excellent reading on the sat finder, but nothing on the sky box, this turned out to be because the trees having grown that wee bit from our last visit.
Had to reposition the dish further back, and to the left a tad, and bingo, all was calm in the van .
smiley-wink.gif
Heard it all now
smiley-laughing.gif

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys.
I'm rigging up an Inclinometer as show on the 'satalite for caravans' web site, I'm also devising an elivation adjuster as shown there. I will also fil a small spirit level to the LNB arm to ensurure its level too. I want to make it as easy as possible to set up!
I've ordered an new LNB identical to my old one as the casing was coming apart.
Thinking about it, I was pointing the dish almost directly at a tall tree, i should have moved it a few paces!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts