Sliding Fly Screen Door

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My 3 year old Rapido 983 motorhome has a sliding fly screen door, a much used asset all year round, unfortunately 2 weeks ago while my wife and I were touring Slovenia the cord that holds it all together and makes it operate frayed and snapped ,( back to fly swatting ). The screen is made by Horrex in Holland who only export a retro fit unit to the UK via Johnny Longdon in Poole that is 1850mm x 500mm intended for caravans, mine needs to be 2100mm x 585mm. I have not contacted Rapido in France yet in the hope that they can provide a new one in my size, Brownhills informed me that it is not listed as a spare part or accessory but send them a photo of what I want and they will make inquiries to Rapido, that sounds like a long job to me.
Having studied the fly screen I have a reasonable idea how it can be restrung, but before I begin has any member had a similar repair to do or can give any advice please ?
JR

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
The door screens come apart quite easily and I've heard of people reattaching the tensioning spring when it detaches, with little other than some common sense and a bit of DIY nous. I'd suggest that you'll probably be able to see a way of restringing it once you get it off the van. They are pretty crude units once you get them apart.

If it is the type I've seen, you undo the screws above the top rail first, withdraw the top cover and then you should be able to see (possibly by standing on a box!) whether it looks repairable. Certainly, I'd have a look before ordering £400 worth of replacement.

Hope that helps!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
WHAT???
Do you lie the screen on the floor, sit on it, and say magic words, to make it take off?
So THAT'S why they call them "FLY screens!!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Better delete my post too then Nigel - doesn't make much sense now!
(but then maybe some of mine never do!!
smiley-frown.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts