Snow ... why?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
O.K. here goes, I have a question for all. It's alright Your Moddyship, it's not controversial .... hehheh! I can hear him sighing from here :O)

On the radio this morning the presenter was talking about the forecast snow and asking people to ring in with their thoughts. The presenter was so excited I'm sure he must have been wearing incontinent pads.

The point of my missive is why do people get so excited at snow, cooing and drooling at the thought?

What is good about the poxy stuff?

Anyone, please, tell me how it benefits us apart from if it thaws slowly it fills up the underground aquifers although with all the rain we had last year and this year so far we don't need it.

Snow to me is, after the first few hours, black slush. It brings the country to it's knees because transport is halted. It freezes causing walking to be treacherous and at the same time filling up the hospitals with casualties suffering fractured limbs leaving some permanently disabled. Wildlife suffers because they cannot get food or water. Before anyone says they can eat the snow it costs the birds more energy in thawing the snow than the benefit of rehydration.

People can't get to their work places, schools close leaving kids whose parents do get to work on their own. It costs the country literally billions. Thousands of tons of rock salt, more cost, are sprayed on the road causing pollution and damage to vehicle bodywork.

Someone I know went to Switzerland last year so he can ski, he broke his leg. He's going again in a weeks time, why? To break the other one?

Please, please someone, tell me something positive that snow brings us as a country.

I will admit that snow does look nice on Christmas cards and that's where it should stay :O)

I await people to inform me what is benificial about it :O)

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi your Lordship

You've got to admit that building, or watching children build snowmen is rather fun. Nor is snow as noisy as these frozen snowballs (ginormous hailstones)that are hitting my windows as I type.

Denise

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
if it weren't for snow we wouldn't have had the ice age and glaciers - if it weren't for glaciers we wouldn't have the bulk of mountains, lakes and valleys that we now enjoy in this country.

and, to be fair, snow was around long before humans were... (",)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
if it weren't for snow we wouldn't have had the ice age and glaciers - if it weren't for glaciers we wouldn't have the bulk of mountains, lakes and valleys that we now enjoy in this country.

and, to be fair, snow was around long before humans were... (",)
Ummmm .... yes but we have the mountains and the valleys, we don't need no more, it's more arable land we need to feed the masses. One more point, how do you know snow was around before humans, who told you that if there was no humans around :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi your Lordship

You've got to admit that building, or watching children build snowmen is rather fun. Nor is snow as noisy as these frozen snowballs (ginormous hailstones)that are hitting my windows as I type.

Denise
Oh, if it was possible I wouldn't have a problem if it just snowed in peoples gardens Denise. Infact that is a benefit I overlooked of it snowing just in gardens, even the most untidy garden looks the same as the neighbours :O)

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
People get excited because we never get it like we used to, winter isn't winter without snow, just like the summers we never seem to get anymore.

There's a big kid in all of us at heart and as Denise says, it's nice to see the kids building snowmen and sledging.

Look deep into your memory Lordy, you may remember the days you enjoyed the snow.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ummmmm .... (looks deep inside bonce).

Nope martin, I didn't spend long enough in it, probably because I had nerves in my fingers and I got too bloody cold.

What I do remember though is walking to school, no schools closed in them days. Even in the winter of 62/63 when I was a fireman on the footplate the railways kept going, no transport coming to a standstill. Today snow is so rare if we have a dusting the country stops and they class it as a blizzard. Even hits the headlines which is laughable to those who remember when we did have snow :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
O.K. the question I asked is how does it benefit us. So far I have it's nice to see kids playing in it, hmmmm.

I'd prefer to do without the snow and let the kids have a sandpit :O)....... hehheh!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know the snow brings the country to its knees but I'm like a big kid, I love it. We go sledging, make a snowman and dress him up. It's best when you've got a horse and although most will live out quite happily, it's great to stable them, put a deep bed of straw down, put up a full hay net, put your horses stable rug on, switch off the light and leave them there all cozy and happy.

Sorry.

Lisa

p.s. We didn't get any snow either, I kept waking up during the night and looking out the window, but no snow......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts