sockets not working

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Here'll...parked can up 4 weeks ago all was working..brought home today to prepare for weekend ...Connected van to house electric and lights are working but sockets arnt.....
Any advice PLEASE..Will only be 3rd outing as new to caravanning and supposed to be going to Exeter for 10 days from Saturday !!!

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
How are you connecting your EHU cable to the mains supply socket at your house ?
Are you using something like this to connect to the mains if so have you checked the fuse as you can easily blow it ......

mHOWf6VZN9ebZpLRgK0O73Q.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello maiseymoo,

You need to do a little more fault finding but in a specific order to eliminate or find faulty components. Do not dismantle anything unless you are confident with working with 230V power.

With the mains cable disconnected from the caravan, do the internal lights work? - if they do they must be the 12V powered ones. You need to find a light that won't come on check the bulb to make sure it's a 230V bulb.

Now reconnect the mains hook up cable, If the 230V lights work then there must be power reaching the caravan. If the sockets are still not working, then it will almost certainly be the 10A MCB in the caravans distribution box which has gone faulty. The MCB can't be repaired it must be replaced.

If the 230V lights still don't work then there are further checks that need to be done.

I assume you have a short blue socket to a 13A household plug to power your caravan at home. Check the fuse and wiring in the 13A plug.

If the fuse is ok, you need to eliminate the EHU cable itself. Plug the short 16A to 13A adaptor into the blue power inlet on the side of the caravan, then use a normal household mains extension to connect to the house. If it works then the EHU cable is faulty and needs to be checked for correct wiring and that no wires are pulling out of the connectors.

If you are still having no joy, then it becomes more difficult to troubleshoot remotely. I suggest you get an electrician to check it out for you.

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks very much for the trouble shooting guide...all our lights work via 12v so can't eliminate anything tthat way...tried connecting the short cable to van then house still nothing so looks like Il have to get someone out...where do I look please? I'm new to caravanning lol

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Well you guys we're right the problem was the short connector...after checking wires and fuse in plug to no avail it dawned on me I hadn't cheched the van connection...lo and behold the wires wernt fastened in..strange as it was new but hey ho..a couple of turns with an electrical screwdriver and away we go !!!! Lol
Thanks to you all again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts