Soft closers don't close

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Ok so when we put our caravan away in October it was fine-been to check everything today-all good-battery fine, legs go up and down, locks not rusted on-we're good to go-washed and polished. Went inside and did a stock take but now none of the doors with soft closers on them will close-the closer is too firm-popped some silicone lube on and got them shut , but any ideas anyone?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Some have a screw on them to adjust the damping. Need to go back to storage and look at some point. Keep you posted.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
None of ours shut properly last week. Let you know this week what they are like after silicone and heat this week i hope!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Is it one of those things sensitive to temperature, thus, once the van interior is warmed up a little as in use, all will operate as intended?

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Might have been as it is significantly warmer here now-here in Wales-9 degrees-left Lincoln at -2! Anyway whichever it was , silicone spray or warmer temps-mind they didn't stick last winter when we used it, they seem much better now-not perfect ie some don't quite close but much better!

Cold, lack of use and in need of a bit of lubrication-sounds like me- !! Can't say I am improving like the doors though!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Slightly off thread, but our window blinds, Coachman2010 roll type, would not work correctly at temps above about 25c. Only the front ones Sides were ok. I removed cleaned retentioned them and refitted, same problem. Just had to be gentle with them..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One of ours is dangling string-any ideas on the cure?
I think you need to elaborate as there are no visible strings on the blinds in the Buccaneer unless broken. A hell of a job to repair as the whole frame needs to be removed. We got the dealer to repair ours on a previous caravan. BTW it is a warranty job even if the caravan is 5 years old!

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like the strings that act as a pulley system have either broken or one has come undone. Pain of a job and needs small neat fingers.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
You're both right-popped the plastic corners off this pm after a long walk on Pembrey coastal country park and beach-(lovely btw and very few people around-dog loved it but the anpr cameras couldn't tell the difference between a letter O and a D and so we had a bit of a game to pay for parking-all sorted by a nice intercom system eventually and we got a receipt just in case)

Once the plastic top corners off-you can see one side the string has a grommet attached that was hooked over a plastic hook and groove, in a nd resting in little slot specially for it-the other side-no grommet-just the tail of the string disappearing down the blind side-any way managed to pull it up and the grommet appeared on the string as i eased it up-popped it back into its slot and all sorted. Might need a touch of something on them to stop the poppng out-not quite sure how it managed it with the plastic cover there but it was v cold and is now v warm. Anyway thank you all-sorted!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
The silicone and use seems to have done the trick. They damp a bit too much and sometimes shut sometimes need a nudge.like you say no adjustment but you can press the plastic tab to get them moving too.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Ah. Mine isnt stuck, its not damping at all. Door shuts with a bang.
Oh heck.
Ah. Mine isnt stuck, its not damping at all. Door shuts with a bang.
Hi there, they are simply add ons to ordinary hinges on ours-one per door-clip onto the hinge on the bottom-cheap as-these are the ones i reckon fit ours but double check yours are the same

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
:love: They're on both our caravans already-just that Thingys no longer seem to soften the close-yes he could remove it. Ours have recovered -just sulking from lack of use but bought a couple just in case-and they'll go in the kitchen at home in the mean time at 2.50 a pop. Totally agree though-but we stock the truck with the booze- swmbo seems to have put so much in for our first trip out we'll be taking home too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts