SOGA question

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If you have water on the outside of the caravan i.e. around the windows/lockers and it freezes, expands and causes damage to the body of the caravan, I wonder if you would be able to claim under SOGA as the caravan would not be fit for purpose. We are assuming a one owner caravan under 6 years old. This is a scenario and not a real life issue.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm no expert but I'd have thought that as the owner it would be your responsibility to remove the water or ice before it caused damage.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I doubt any modern caravan will allow enough water to settle in the areas you mention, enough to cause heave if it freezes.

Conversely if such a situation did arise and you could prove there was an inherent defect or design flaw you may succeed. It's a real long shot but arguably caravans are designed to live outside in all weathers.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Conversely if such a situation did arise and you could prove there was an inherent defect or design flaw you may succeed. It's a real long shot but arguably caravans are designed to live outside in all weathers.

Those were my thoughts.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dustydog said:

Those were my thoughts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Surfer,

AS Dusty implies, caravans sold in the UK should be expected to withstand the normal yearly weather conditions experienced in the UK for the predicted life of the product.

If the manufacturer wanted to limit their liability in this respect, they should issue some kind of warning WHEN THE CARAVAN IS PURCHASED, and offer some strategy to manage the possibility. Incidentally if they did suggest for example that seals needed to be replaced annually, then they would be laying themselves open to claims of faulty design.

Historically there is plenty of evidence of caravans surviving all seasons in the UK so the generic design is fit for purpose, but if a particular caravan failed in the manner you describe, it would be exceptional rather than the norm and consequently self demonstrates either faulty workmanship or faulty materials.

We know from many threads both here and on on other forums/magazines, that there are a significant number of caravanners who have suffered water ingress problems of one sort or another, whether any have suffered in the way you describe is not clear, so whilst your query ,may by hypothetical, it may be fact for some.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts