Solar Awning Light

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, by the nature of it being an awning light, its suggests that it will be under canvas, and whilst I suspect it could gain a little power during daylight, I would expect to find its effectiveness reduced somewhat.

If you are thinking about this type of thing because you will be on battery, consider a battery powered LED fitting. Batteries last forever with LED's.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have solar powered lights that we use outside the awning, but as Thingy says inside the awning is more of a problem. You will probably get some where the solar panel is on a wire that you can put outside the awning while the light is on the inside. We have a string of "dragonfly" lights where this would work ; however they are decorative rather than producing a functional amount of light.
mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you regularly stay off grid, on rallies for instance, it might be worth while investing in a solar panel to power your caravan lighting, but we use a rechargeable lantern similar to this one if we're sitting outside when it's dark and it would be ok for awnings too. I think that wind up versions are available with a winding handle to recharge the battery.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
But your caravan should still be equipped with a built in 12v awning light Fithawk. Is there any reason why you can't use the one that's already there?

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
This is linked to my Solar Panel thread. When stumbling through an off grid site after a good night LOL! I'd like a light left on for long periods that doesn't drain the battery. If I go Solar Panel, it won't matter.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi

If you go to Maplins or most of the large DIY chains, they sell led solar security lights for sheds.

The light can be positioned inside connected by a wire to the solar panel / charger on the outside positioned towards the sun.

they can be set to be on dusk till dawn or up to when the battery runs out or have a pir sensor so will only come on when movement is detected.

They should be bright enough to suit your needs.

prices can range from £10 to £60 depending on the brightness of light required.

Hope this helps
John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
This is linked to my Solar Panel thread. When stumbling through an off grid site after a good night LOL! I'd like a light left on for long periods that doesn't drain the battery. If I go Solar Panel, it won't matter.

Following the other thread, I still go with the idea of a battery LED, you can get some very good suction mounted ones now, and as I said, the batteries last forever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts