solar panel installation

Sep 11, 2019
Visit site
Yet to receive my 100W solar panel and charge controller - how do I integrate it's wiring into my 1996 Abbey Domino Duo wiring with it's built-in charger - would there be a conflict between the charges ie:- Onsite power hookup when the sun is shining and the Solar Panel in operation...joe

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
It’s very simple. Solar panel to controller, controller terminals to battery.

no need to worry about any other wiring. , although you should put a fuse inline between the controller and battery.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The solar controllers I have used are "Smart" enough to handle any conflict with sharing the battery charging duty with other inputs. Mine have both been Morningstar brand, one of the leaders in this field.

The detail specification of whatever solar charger you have opted to purchase ought to give you information on this.

The original fit charger of 1996 vintage if that is still there, is going to be very rudimentary and I expect any half decent quality solar charger will take the charging voltage way over the saturation voltage of the van's charger, though in a regulated manner. The consequences ought to be that the battery becomes more fully charged and so better looked after in terms of longevity from the use of the solar charging system.

My only concern is that I know from testing a few other peoples solar controllers, that there are some poor examples out there.

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
Yes, if the controller is working correctly then it will only pass charge to the battery if it needs it, and that should be the same for the vans charger.
I have a fairly basic solar panel setup but the controller will show you the battery charge and whether the panel is passing charge to the battery.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The van's charger, as would be typically fitted back in 1996 will arguably not be a "charger" as such, but a PSU set to give a maximum supply voltage for everything including the battery, not greater than 13.8 volts.
That supplied to a battery achieves a charge, and is as high as an uncontrolled supply can be whilst not unduly "gassing off" the battery. It is as rudimentary as that. It also protects sensitive electronics designed for use on nominally 12 volt DC systems.

The solar controller ought to be somewhat "smarter". If not fooled by the van's charger it could recognise if the battery state of charge is low enough to warrant a Bulk or Absorbtion charge and take it up to 14.4 volts. If it thinks the battery is charged, it will drop into a float charge of 13.6 volts. Note, somewhat below the van charger's 13.8, as 13.6 better protects the battery from gassing.

My thoughts are, however, that if you plug in the EHU, the solar controller will simply "cop out" of bothering, as then it can't determine if the battery is in a low state of charge to warrant going into even the absorption phase. Plus as its float stage is lower than the PSU's regulated voltage, it can't see it need to assist there either. The van's charger will carry on as it always had, and nothing is harmed.

If it is a roof mounted solar system always active, then the probability is the battery will be fully charged when you arrive on site and plug into the EHU.
From then on the van's PSU will cater for all demands within its power output, and the battery sit there reasonably content with its status, but on a slightly over generous float charge, until the EHU plug is again pulled.
Again, no worries, basically because the van's charger in this 1996 case will not be sophisticated enough to try any smart battery charging routines, here it's not that type of device.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts