Solar panels and MPPT

Mar 1, 2021
Visit site
This area is a minefield.
I need to keep my battery topped up.
So a panel is the way forward, I have a brand new 130 battery,, all new LED lights, and a 12v tv.
Scenario, camping with no electric for a week, what do I need.
I get so lost in MPPT power, thickness of the feed wires.
Am I better with a folding panel, no room on roof really, and to drill a caravan roof is something I do not relish.
Let me know what you have and see if I can solve this issue, if I google this question, I end up in Australia in an opal mine.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
This is the effort I did 5 years ago. It still works well. I am informed that what I bought as an MPPT controller is actually a PCW. But only cost £10 from China.

Right now the voltage is 13.2 In the summer it reaches 14.5

If you have no roof space, perhaps a folding panel is the best thing. You can get them as a kit, so no planning for you to do. Perhaps you could have a small 10 watt for maintenance and a large folding when you go away.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Essentially as Lcloughie has suggested you need a panel big enough to replenish the power you use from the battery. Over the years we have done several calculations and we usually come up with a 100 to 150W solar panel, and unless you spend all day on the TV it should be enough to replenish the power used each day.

If you do find its not quite enough (which is rare) then a bit of housekeeping may be all that's required, thinks like making sure all 12V appliance's and especially lights are tuned off when not in use.

I do agree a good charge regulator is important for two reasons. Firstly it ensures the solar panel is working most efficiently which is particularly important during winter months, and secondly it should protect the battery from being over charged, which with such large panels is a real risk.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for the help.
I had more or less thought a 120 panel, folding one.
MPPT, I understand work out the flow well, PCW gives it little kick starts.
Great I get that now, but what MPPT IS OK, q
10 amp 20, 30???
We do have a 12 v tv, but rarely use tv, we do that at home too much.
All bulbs now LED, THAT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Thank you for the help.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
MPPT is only worth it if you have multiple panels, because you series connect the panels to it, and the higher voltages result in higher efficiency. PWM is more than adequate for a single panel, but you do need to ensure that you select the correct battery profile on the controller (eg, AGM, flooded lead acid etc). This ensures the controller produces the correct charging profile. I have had panels on the boat for 10 years (upgraded 5 years ago to MPPT) and the batteries have NEVER been on an external charger...

Reactions: JTQ and otherclive
Mar 1, 2021
Visit site
Sounds great, I have bought 160e panel, and two identical 130 ah batteries, so they are identical.
I have a pwm and a MPPT from previous van, so will be good to play with.
I took off a 90ah battery, that is now on a 30 W solar, in the window which runs my 5w tv only.
Really trying to be stand alone.

Reactions: Richard and Ann
Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
On our previous caravan i fitted a 150w panel with a mppt controller and the battery lasted 7 years! recently changed our caravan and just bought another 150w with mppt with stick on mountings, last one never moved in 5 years!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts